Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving to co galway - any advice?

Options
  • 01-10-2011 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi there,

We, as a family, are thinking of moving to co. galway in the coming year. Not too sure what areas are most suitable for a young family - that likes lots of outdoor activities, sports and music (all kinds). we had thought of clarinbridge, oughterard, athenry, oranmore, kinvara, ...?

requirements: near enough to airport, near enough to limerick and galway (driving distance of 40-50mins) city for job opportunities, near a small village with action and community spirit and near the sea if we can manage....

I know there's a new road fom limerick now to galway so any nice villages off that road would be suitable.

any ideas?
    any suggestions?

thank you
    NoraB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Oranmore ticks many of those boxes. If you live in Renville there is a big outdoor area there.
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=renville+village
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~birchgrove/oranmore.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Clarinbridge could be nice too. With the new motorway, it's less than 1 hour to Limerick ; Galway city centre is probably 10 miles away. The sea isn't too far either. Imo, Kinvarra is ok too but if you have a long commute, the 1st bit of road isn't the nicest (windy ; busy in the summer)
    Kilcolgan is ok too as far as access is concerned but there isn't really a village centre as such as all the dwellings are very scattered around the countryside.
    Best of luck with your projects.

Valerie

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Just moved to Oranmore. I love it here already. Loads of pubs, restaurants, supermarkets etc... Astro turf pitches,cinema, and very close to Galway city. Would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Out of all the places you mentioned, Kinvara is by far the nicest! Beautiful fishing village on the Burrens doorstep where you can explore, hillwalk, surf, sail, fish or just ramble as a family! 40 mins to Galway City.

Although with young children maybe Oranmore would be more practical for general facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭eeinke

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think we will have to test the waters and visit a few places now..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

We moved down about 5 years ago and bought a house in Ballinderreen. It's on the road to Kinvarra. We love it! School, Creche and loads of sport. People very nice also. It's small but has a lot going for it. Excellent community spirit and everybody knows what the kids are doing at all times. Lovely walks down to the sea and it's very close to a beach (5-6 mins drive). It's got one pub (Jordans which is great and no bother if you are a blow in), Texaco garage with a good shop, hairdressers and great takeaway. People are mainly young families.

It's also about 15-20 mins to work for me in the mornings (work in Ballybrit).

Oranmore is nice but overcrowded and schools have large class sizes. Ballinderreen also is close to Limerick road and it takes about 45-50 mins to airport with new road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Athenry isn't near the sea but that makes it affordable. However, since it's got great infrastructure (motor-way, buses, train station etc.), It's as little as 15 minuets into Eyre Square by train (25-35 by car) and a quick stroll to the docks (new docks) where Galway sail sports is. I'm giving them a plug because I came across them at the Sports expo two weeks ago and I thought they were fab.;)

Athenry also has plenty of schools (three secondary, one of which is a Coláiste), GAA (I know, I know what town doesn't), A lovely park in the town, the castle with all it's events during the holidays, nice restaurants and lovely pubs. It's a musical town with at least two sessions a week in the local pubs (with free food in one!)and a good music school.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement