Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK bands NOT playing Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

...they're playing mostly large concert halls/arenas and I doubt any promoter here would book them for The O2 unless other big names were playing as well.

The Leeds o2 Academy is roughly the same size as our Academy or Olympia. Didn't stop them from being booked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    The Leeds o2 Academy is roughly the same size as our Academy or Olympia. Didn't stop them from being booked there.

Think the Leeds Academy is a bit bigger. Vicar Street would be perfect again, maybe they'll do it next summer if playing festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Yea if only the Grand Canal could do standing gigs then you could prob fit about 3000 into it , but you can understand why they are just keeping it to Musicals and what not

a 3000 capacity venue is whats needed, surely it would be guaranteed to be successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

That was on the last European tour during the summer. And it's still more than twice the capacity of the Olympia.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

Yea if only the Grand Canal could do standing gigs then you could prob fit about 3000 into it , but you can understand why they are just keeping it to Musicals and what not
    But It's All Seating And They Can't Take Up The Seat's :\

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

what about the convention centre that can hold gigs so i dont' see why they cant hold gigs there:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Motley Crue are a perfect example of a band who never plays in Ireland.

True enough - and every member of Motley Crue who has had a solo band has also either cancelled or postponed a scheduled gig in Southern Ireland

Motley played Belfast in the 80s but that is as near as they got

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Bands don't come here because we're just too much hassle :P. Extra transport costs, logistics, currency conversion (if it's just a UK tour they're doing), taxes, a day wasted because they have to travel here and back... and all this for an often much smaller audience than they usually pull in. It sucks, but c'est la vie.

The Academy and the Olympia are completely different sizes!! :confused:
    One holds 600, the other holds 2000+.

The Academy and the Olympia are completely different sizes!! :confused:
    One holds 600, the other holds 2000+.

Actually the Academy is 800. Your point is taken, however.

Actually the Academy is 800. Your point is taken, however.

That's if both rooms are open - the main room only holds 623 IIRC. This is actually off topic anyway :o

I think the point about not having many medium-size venues is right though, there's a huge jump from 2000 in The Olympia (or 4000 in the RDS - which is quite rare) to 14,000 in the O2!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

That's if both rooms are open - the main room only holds 623 IIRC. This is actually off topic anyway :o

I think the point about not having many medium-size venues is right though, there's a huge jump from 2000 in The Olympia (or 4000 in the RDS - which is quite rare) to 14,000 in the O2!

Yea its a pity that when bands can sell out the olympia once or twice , then on the next tour they either come back to the same venue or not come over due to no other venue to play

It IS off-topic, but I know for a fact the main room has a capacity of 800 (including upstairs) because I've run two gigs in that room and 800 showed up to the first one!

Gets pretty hot and sweaty in there when it's at capacity though... Enter Shikari last night was a prime example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

What happened to the rumours that MCD were planning on buying citywest event centre to fill the gap between the Olympia and the O2?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    What happened to the rumours that MCD were planning on buying citywest event centre to fill the gap between the Olympia and the O2?

Yea nothing has been brought up since it was in the papers last year. It would be great if they got it and with the fact the luas now goes out that far it would be easy to get to and if you are driving you just need to take a turn off and you are there

It IS off-topic, but I know for a fact the main room has a capacity of 800 (including upstairs) because I've run two gigs in that room and 800 showed up to the first one!

Gets pretty hot and sweaty in there when it's at capacity though... Enter Shikari last night was a prime example.

Ah, maybe the 623 is when the upstairs bit is closed. There is/used to be a sign at the bar saying "Max. Capacity 623".

Yeah, I've been at some gigs where it's painfully packed... Good venue though!! :)

Ah, maybe the 623 is when the upstairs bit is closed. There is/used to be a sign at the bar saying "Max. Capacity 623".

Yeah, I've been at some gigs where it's painfully packed... Good venue though!! :)

That could well be it actually! Love the place, perfect venue for intimate live shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Olympia is only 1600 aswell

Advertisement