Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ritalin

Options
  • 01-10-2011 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here any experience of giving Ritalin to their children?
    My 14 year old son asked earlier on in the year if he could 'talk to someone' about his feelings. I was delighted as knew he needed some kind of help; his Dad and me are separated for years,older son (17)lives with his Dad and the Dad hasn't talked our younger son for months (2nd time this has happened).

I made a GP appointment who in turn gave us a letter for a local clinic designed for kids/teens. Not impressed with this clinic as after 4 sessions with a psychologist they said he wasn't 'opening up' and they didn't pursue it any further. They seem to be more interested in his school work-which was not reason we attended in the first place. Anyhow,they've diagnosed my son with ADD and want to give him Ritalin which I'm totally against as I think it's wrong to give drugs to kids unless absolutely necessary. Problem is, the clinic mentioned Ritalin with my son present and he really wants to take it.

Would appreciate any advice/experiences on this topic please...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

It is a tough one.
    If your son felt he couldn't open up with whom ever he was dealing with in the clinic then ask for a referal to a counsellor.
    As for the meds, one of the first things I said to the team who assessed my son was that they would have to work very hard to convince me to medicate my child.

But ritalin is not handed out willy nilly here like it is in the USA and it could well be that the anxieties that your son is deal with are making him hyper restless, so I can understand the concern that they would give him medication and not deal with some of the underlining issues.

As for your son wanting to taking it, the kid is looking for help, any sort of help, and if he thinks there is a pill he can just take which will help, then I can't blame him for wanting to take it.

Have you looked at trying to tweak his diet? Cutting down on sugars and caffine can help, or looked at getting him to try yoga or meditation or some form of martial art?
    Anything which can help reduce stress, get him to stay still and might help his confidence?

I personally would not rule out meds completely, if it comes down to it you could try them, a really low dose and monitor him closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I am surprised that it has taken this long to diagnose ADD op - has he shown signs before? I also wouldn't be impressed with the clinic saying they could do not more after 4 sessions....

A pal of mine has a boy (17 now) diagnosed with adhd at a very young age - he was on ritalin for about 2years almost ten years ago. We were very close at the time, and I used to see him and her every day almost - as an outsider, it was very upsetting to see the boy like a zombie day in/day out once he had taken his meds. His mum, on the other hand used to regularly say she was delighted he was calmer etc. I wasn't a parent myself at the time and I didn't appreciate how difficult it could be for her, and how she obviously welcomed this new wonder-drug as it meant her life became slightly normal again.

However, after 2yrs (this was 8yrs ago remember), she had researched the drug and decided to take him off it - she changed his diet and his routines and while the adhd was still quite obvious, he was much more relaxed and a happier child.

I wouldn't be anti-meds at all OP - to be honest, I reach for a painkiller at the first sign of a headache - but I'd look for a second opinion on the diagnosis perhaps in your case?

What's your gut feeling? Do you think he has add?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think you need to get a 2nd opinion.
    Was it your gp or a psychiatrist that prescribed ritalin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Thanks for your replies. My son doesn't have ADHD which is Attention Deficit Hyper Disorder he just has ADD which means he's not hyper at all. Far from it in fact, he doesn't move unless he has to!! So it is purely his schoolwork they are prescribing the Ritalin for-nothing else.

Sharrow, as a healthy eater myself I am very aware of the affects our diet can have. My son unfortunately doesn't have the best diet and is a bit of a sugar fiend, so I buy as little sugary stuff as possible, he eats very little fruit and no veg at all. I give him Omega 3 to help with his concentration but not much use if he's not eating a healthy diet! With regards to excercise-I've tried to encourage him to take up a sport but no go as this is a great help both physically and mentally.

Fittle, you asked of I think my son has ADD which is something I've been asking myself for a while. He has no problem concentrating when he is doing something he is good at. He's a whizz with computers (the mechanics of, not gaming) and has no problem reading articles (online) which are related to this. I think the school system just doesn't suit him, as it doesn't suit many kids who are not necessarily academic, and I hate giving him drugs so he can fit in with the system.
    Also some of the questions I had to answer are ridiculous such as 'Is your son's room messy?', 'Is your son's schoolbag messy?' He's a fourteen year old boy, of course they're messy!!
    I too have researched this drug and am concerned of the affect it can have on kids-it numbs their imagination, curbs appetite, can cause depression when coming off the drug, not to mention the long term affects it may have. It is similar to amphetamine in its make up. I also think it gives the wrong message to kids in that a 'quick fix' drug is the way to sort out problems.

Moonbeam, it is a panel of professionals in the clinic along with the psychologist and a social worker who make the decision, my GP has nothing got to do with it at this stage.

I suppose for me, I'm more concerned about my son's mood rather than his schoolwork and feel they've brushed this aside and are more concerned about him getting good school results. I have thought about getting a second opinion but am aware of how expensive it is and am currently not working although I may just have to beg, steal and borrow for this one! Having said that, if I do go down that road my son will still be obsessed with taking Ritalin no matter what they say so I'm between a rock and a hard place...

Thank you again for your comments and thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭yoda2001

Maybe you could find a counsellor who would be able to get him to open up. and then just listen! Mentioning the R. in front of him does not impress me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I was prescribed Ritalin several years ago when I was 22, I tried it for a while and the first thing that struck me was how similar it was to Speed/Amphetamine, It was an awful feeling to be so spaced out all day, Delayed speech and just general drowsiness, And increasing the dose does increase those symptoms.

Now your boy is only 14, So you should think long and hard about letting him use Ritalin, Personally I think Ritalin at that age is only going to end up as an introduction to future drug use. It will give the impression that drugs are a solution.

yoda2001 wrote: »
    Maybe you could find a counsellor who would be able to get him to open up. and then just listen! Mentioning the R. in front of him does not impress me.

Yeah was really annoyed that they mentioned the Ritalin in front of them and told them so. They apologised and said that shouldn't have happened but that's no use to me now as the seed has been planted in my son's head...I've asked him about speaking with another counsellor but he says he won't go.

charlemont wrote: »
    I was prescribed Ritalin several years ago when I was 22, I tried it for a while and the first thing that struck me was how similar it was to Speed/Amphetamine, It was an awful feeling to be so spaced out all day, Delayed speech and just general drowsiness, And increasing the dose does increase those symptoms.

Now your boy is only 14, So you should think long and hard about letting him use Ritalin, Personally I think Ritalin at that age is only going to end up as an introduction to future drug use. It will give the impression that drugs are a solution.

This is what exactly what I'm concerned about and the long term affects that may yet be unknown. If it was a matter of a life and death situation and this drug would save my kid's life I'd have no problem in him taking it but not getting straight A's in my mind is not that important in the whole scheme of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Would there be any hope of getting the clinic to retract their Ritalin suggestion in front of him? Make it sound so they have come to the (completely independent of you) decision that it would not be in his best interest and that they would strongly advocate against it because of x, y & z?

Seems the least they could do seeing as how they acted unprofessionally and irresponsibly before.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

hi op,

I can't offer you any advice on Ritalin and you don't mention where you are based but Marriage Relationship Counselling in dublin offer a specific 'Teen Between' counselling for children who's parents are divorced/separated etc.

something like this might be good for a second opinion because as you said in your post your son is looking for someone to talk to about his feelings.

this is the link for mrcs teenbetween.ie/site/

• Advertisement

Ayla wrote: »
    Would there be any hope of getting the clinic to retract their Ritalin suggestion in front of him? Make it sound so they have come to the (completely independent of you) decision that it would not be in his best interest and that they would strongly advocate against it because of x, y & z?

Seems the least they could do seeing as how they acted unprofessionally and irresponsibly before.

Nice suggestion but there's no way they'll do this as they are convinced Ritalin is the way to go...

meganj wrote: »
    hi op,

I can't offer you any advice on Ritalin and you don't mention where you are based but Marriage Relationship Counselling in dublin offer a specific 'Teen Between' counselling for children who's parents are divorced/separated etc.

something like this might be good for a second opinion because as you said in your post your son is looking for someone to talk to about his feelings.

this is the link for mrcs teenbetween.ie/site/

Thanks for that megan, I'll certainly have a read of their website :)

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

I've never been in your position, but in a voluntary capacity I come into contact with a number of young people who are on it.

Personally I'd walk over hot coals before I'd give it to my children.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Aside from the Ritalin issue, does he feel (or would he tell you) he has been listened to about 'his feelings'? Given that he was the one initiated the idea of speaking to someone, I'd be worried if he was abandoned by those he went to speak to and 'not opening up' is a cop-out if ever I heard one.

As a teacher, Ritalin is the new grommets from what I can see - the treatment of the week. I have seen a few children who it has helped, but more it has made a shadow of themselves - sometimes I'd rather have them the way they were without it, trouble or not.

spurious wrote: »
    Aside from the Ritalin issue, does he feel (or would he tell you) he has been listened to about 'his feelings'? Given that he was the one initiated the idea of speaking to someone, I'd be worried if he was abandoned by those he went to speak to and 'not opening up' is a cop-out if ever I heard one.

As a teacher, Ritalin is the new grommets from what I can see - the treatment of the week. I have seen a few children who it has helped, but more it has made a shadow of themselves - sometimes I'd rather have them the way they were without it, trouble or not.

This is good to hear from a teacher's prospective, although I imagine not all teachers would agree with you. I've written to the school explaining that he's been diagnosed with ADD and my feelings around Ritalin.

I've asked my son if he wants to go somewhere else to talk but he refuses.He won't tell me why, so I can only assume given his first experience of couselling, he thinks it's a waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Splendour wrote: »
    This is good to hear from a teacher's prospective, although I imagine not all teachers would agree with you. I've written to the school explaining that he's been diagnosed with ADD and my feelings around Ritalin.

I've asked my son if he wants to go somewhere else to talk but he refuses.He won't tell me why, so I can only assume given his first experience of couselling, he thinks it's a waste of time

Jesus, that's terrible. He asks for help, and the professionals tell him he needs to be on meds, instantly that labels him :( Poor chap, and poor you. I understand some kids may need to but strongly believe not all of the kids who are on them, need them

I would really encourage him to speak to someone else; he is prob old enough for a little psycho-education; explain to him that not GPS/Psychs see things the same way, and as hard as it is for him to go back and see someone else, it will be worth it .

I am really disheartened at how readily Ritalin is prescribed; most kids just need an impartial person to listen to them , not to judge them and make them feel their worries, thoughts and anxieties are valid (however irrational they might sound to us sometimes!)...being a teen is a heck of a mixed up place as it is, and to tell a kid he needs Ritalin...heartbreaking.

As a SW I'm disgusted they went along with med as the first option... maybe i missed it but are they planning on giving him any counselling/support along with the ritalin?

As far as the Ritalin goes, they will monitor his weight as it can cause loss of appetite but apart from that, I haven't heard them mention anything else.

I've talked to my son about side effects of the drug but I think he feels so pressurised with regards to getting good results in school, he's determined to take it. He says he feels 'stupid' in school and thinks this drug is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

As far as the Ritalin goes, they will monitor his weight as it can cause loss of appetite but apart from that, I haven't heard them mention anything else.

I've talked to my son about side effects of the drug but I think he feels so pressurised with regards to getting good results in school, he's determined to take it. He says he feels 'stupid' in school and thinks this drug is the answer.

Aw man, please encourage him to talk. This thread has really saddened me. Good luck getting a second opinion and persist. x

Aw man, please encourage him to talk. This thread has really saddened me. Good luck getting a second opinion and persist. x

Thanks LadyMayBelle, appreciate the thoughts. Saddens me to think that our education system puts kids under so much pressure that they think they're 'stupid' if they don't fit in. I wouldn't mind but he is far from stupid and is a very intelligent deep thinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think you need to speak to the psychiatrist again, make sure that your child definately needs the medication.

We have started with the assessment process approximately 6 years ago when things were really going bad in school for my now 14 year old son, but straight after the first couple of meetings, things picked up dramatically so have thought he settled down and then agreed with the experts that he is doing ok and there is no need to continue.

Had loads of ups and downs over the years, getting in trouble at school, not doing homework, etc, things I thought all teenagers do. But as I am typing this my son is in hospital under 24 hour special care - he has a nurse that has to sit with him and even follow him to the bathroom, as he tried to commit suicide last week, and continue to be high risk.

It came as such a shock as there were absolutely no signs, other than the normal, not doing homework, sulking, etc. We are gutted. The psychiatrist that came to see him thinks he is suffering from ADHD and Depression and have put him on anti depressants for now. The first thing is for him not to be suicidal anymore and then he would be assessed.

I just wanted to share to make sure that you PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE speak to the experts again and make sure you understand completely what is his diagnosis, what the best possible treatments would be and how you can support your child. If he needs the medication, and you are certain that you understand why. THEN LET HIM HAVE IT.

I was the same as you and thought I would never let my child be drugged, but the psychiatrist explained to me last week that if my child was ADHD and on medication, it would be monitored very carefully and he would not be turned into a zombie. If the first medication they put him on does not work, they will move on to the next, until we find the most suitable medication, But in saying that, medication is not going to magically fix this problem, your child would need continuous therapy to learn how to behave and adjust socially.

At the moment we are taking it one day at a time and today was a good day when we went to visit, he was chatting and laughing and even joking around. But he is not talking about what happened or why - that will come with therapy.

YOUR CHILD IS ASKING FOR HELP - LISTEN TO HIM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Speaking as someone who suffered from mental health problems from my early teens. I would say to you not to dismiss or reject the idea of medication immediately off-hand. I would give it careful consideration and be very willing to trial medication for a while to see if it helps. Just remember the first few weeks on meds can be a bit rough but things can settle down after that.

I would really look for a psychiatric rather than psychological evaluation though. Or preferably a combination of the two.

Sad mother wrote: »
    I think you need to speak to the psychiatrist again, make sure that your child definately needs the medication.

We have started with the assessment process approximately 6 years ago when things were really going bad in school for my now 14 year old son, but straight after the first couple of meetings, things picked up dramatically so have thought he settled down and then agreed with the experts that he is doing ok and there is no need to continue.

Had loads of ups and downs over the years, getting in trouble at school, not doing homework, etc, things I thought all teenagers do. But as I am typing this my son is in hospital under 24 hour special care - he has a nurse that has to sit with him and even follow him to the bathroom, as he tried to commit suicide last week, and continue to be high risk.

It came as such a shock as there were absolutely no signs, other than the normal, not doing homework, sulking, etc. We are gutted. The psychiatrist that came to see him thinks he is suffering from ADHD and Depression and have put him on anti depressants for now. The first thing is for him not to be suicidal anymore and then he would be assessed.

I just wanted to share to make sure that you PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE speak to the experts again and make sure you understand completely what is his diagnosis, what the best possible treatments would be and how you can support your child. If he needs the medication, and you are certain that you understand why. THEN LET HIM HAVE IT.

I was the same as you and thought I would never let my child be drugged, but the psychiatrist explained to me last week that if my child was ADHD and on medication, it would be monitored very carefully and he would not be turned into a zombie. If the first medication they put him on does not work, they will move on to the next, until we find the most suitable medication, But in saying that, medication is not going to magically fix this problem, your child would need continuous therapy to learn how to behave and adjust socially.

At the moment we are taking it one day at a time and today was a good day when we went to visit, he was chatting and laughing and even joking around. But he is not talking about what happened or why - that will come with therapy.

YOUR CHILD IS ASKING FOR HELP - LISTEN TO HIM

Sad mother, I am so so sorry for what you are going through-a living nightmare and thank you so much for replying to this thread while you are going through it.
    I cried a couple of weeks ago while listening to mother speaking on the radio who'd lost her son through suicide. My son and his friend where in the house at the time asked what was wrong and I told them both that no matter what is going on in their lives,they do not attempt suicide that they are to talk to someone, anyone about it. Of course teens being teens they thought it was funny that I would cry over listening to a 'sob story' on the radio but hopefully they listened to me.

If I thought the ritalin would help my son's moods, I wouldn't be so hesitant in giving it to him but if it's just for schoolwork I feel different. I'm not worried about my understanding of his diagnosis but rather I think they've misdiagnose him in not thinking he needs to talk with someone. I'm due to go back to them next week so will bring this up with them again. I would bring my son elsewhere for a diagnosis but he's told me he won't go.

Sad mother, I'll be thinking of you and your son and keep you in prayer...
    Take care.

nesf wrote: »
    Speaking as someone who suffered from mental health problems from my early teens. I would say to you not to dismiss or reject the idea of medication immediately off-hand. I would give it careful consideration and be very willing to trial medication for a while to see if it helps. Just remember the first few weeks on meds can be a bit rough but things can settle down after that.

I would really look for a psychiatric rather than psychological evaluation though. Or preferably a combination of the two.

Thanks for sharing nesf-always good to hear from someone who's gone through a similar experience.
    The medication is to help with my concentration with schoolwork and, as I just typed in previous post, if I thought it would help with his moods/emotions then it'd be a different story.
    Did you need to take meds when you were a teen and did you find it helped?

Thanks for sharing nesf-always good to hear from someone who's gone through a similar experience.
    The medication is to help with my concentration with schoolwork and, as I just typed in previous post, if I thought it would help with his moods/emotions then it'd be a different story.
    Did you need to take meds when you were a teen and did you find it helped?

I'm an unusual case. They're still trying to accurately diagnose me in my 30s and have had ill health since my early teens pretty much. I was put on medication in my teens, it didn't help me but then I didn't find a drug that did help me until my mid 20s and even then it was only a partial help.

Ritalin can help with concentration. They will be slower to prescribe anti-depressants and similar for a child so young.

I'd look for a psychiatric appointment and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sad mother, I am so so sorry for what you are going through-a living nightmare and thank you so much for replying to this thread while you are going through it.
    I cried a couple of weeks ago while listening to mother speaking on the radio who'd lost her son through suicide. My son and his friend where in the house at the time asked what was wrong and I told them both that no matter what is going on in their lives,they do not attempt suicide that they are to talk to someone, anyone about it. Of course teens being teens they thought it was funny that I would cry over listening to a 'sob story' on the radio but hopefully they listened to me.

If I thought the ritalin would help my son's moods, I wouldn't be so hesitant in giving it to him but if it's just for schoolwork I feel different. I'm not worried about my understanding of his diagnosis but rather I think they've misdiagnose him in not thinking he needs to talk with someone. I'm due to go back to them next week so will bring this up with them again. I would bring my son elsewhere for a diagnosis but he's told me he won't go.

Sad mother, I'll be thinking of you and your son and keep you in prayer...
    Take care.

Hi Splendour,

Thank you for the well wishes, he is doing well at the moment, he is interacting with the therapists and not holding back anymore. He is still under 24hr watch though - so still high risk. Thank you for the well wishes.

I feel like I want to shout to every parent - take a look at your children, a really close look, to ensure that all is ok.

Do bring it up with them again, tell them that you are not convinced that his diagnosis is correct. In my experience from the last week (the ones I'm dealing with), they all listened if I had something to say. And you are his mother, you know him better than anyone else. But I thought even if he was just suffering from ADHD that he would not just need medication, but also continuous therapy?

I'm an unusual case. They're still trying to accurately diagnose me in my 30s and have had ill health since my early teens pretty much. I was put on medication in my teens, it didn't help me but then I didn't find a drug that did help me until my mid 20s and even then it was only a partial help.

Ritalin can help with concentration. They will be slower to prescribe anti-depressants and similar for a child so young.

I'd look for a psychiatric appointment and go from there.

Thanks for sharing nesf; that's tough going... I hope you get the help you need and finally get your health sorted. I presume your thyroid levels have been thoroughly checked; hormones can play havoc with our mental health.

Sad mother wrote: »
    Hi Splendour,

Thank you for the well wishes, he is doing well at the moment, he is interacting with the therapists and not holding back anymore. He is still under 24hr watch though - so still high risk. Thank you for the well wishes.

I feel like I want to shout to every parent - take a look at your children, a really close look, to ensure that all is ok.

Do bring it up with them again, tell them that you are not convinced that his diagnosis is correct. In my experience from the last week (the ones I'm dealing with), they all listened if I had something to say. And you are his mother, you know him better than anyone else. But I thought even if he was just suffering from ADHD that he would not just need medication, but also continuous therapy?

So so good to hear your son is opening up, this must be a huge sense of relief for you. I imagine it's a huge relief for your son too as he realises how good it feels to 'offload'.

I think in this country (probably most countries) people don't really listen until it's too late. As someone who suffers from ill health, I've lost respect for Doctors (the ones I've been in contact with anyway) and am beginning to lose faith in the 'professionals' in the clinic my son is attending also.

Thanks for sharing nesf; that's tough going... I hope you get the help you need and finally get your health sorted. I presume your thyroid levels have been thoroughly checked; hormones can play havoc with our mental health.

Yeah multiple tests (including MRI scans) to rule out non-mental illness conditions that could cause something similar to what I have. Start a new and complicated drug tomorrow, maybe it'll bring relief it has a very good reputation for working where other drugs don't. (Clozapine for those who are interested)

Yeah multiple tests (including MRI scans) to rule out non-mental illness conditions that could cause something similar to what I have. Start a new and complicated drug tomorrow, maybe it'll bring relief it has a very good reputation for working where other drugs don't. (Clozapine for those who are interested)

I really hope after such a long time of searching this new medication will bring you some relief nesf.
    Wishing you all the best...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭xxmarymoxx

I stupidly agreed to my daughters psychiatrist prescribing Ritalin when she was ten. She has ADHD and a learning disability. Me being to trusting thinking hes a profession he must know what he is talking about.

Two weeks in my hyper child turned into a zombie and went and told my mother one evening that she wanted to be dead. Stopped the ritalin immediately rang psychiatrist and when i explained he then said oh well thats one of the rare side effects.:mad: He then said we will try her on another one i politely told him to shove them that they were not going to make a guinea pig out of my child.

Shes thirteen now and yes her concentration is bad but she gets by in school. And i can handle her hyperness. The triggers for her are fizzy drinks and any sugary sweets.

Advertisement