Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oktoberfest Dublin 2011

Options
  • 01-10-2011 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭

http://oktoberfest-dublin.de/
    Anyone been down to this or heard what its like?

Thinking of going for a staff night out, about 12 of us or of different ages but we're all still up for a laugh and want to go for a few pints. It seems like a bit more fun than your normal pints in the pub

Wondering if its easy enough to get a table down there for the lot of us if we arrived at 7 or 8pm on Friday?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

Work down that way and it seems to be busy most nights of the week. Heard its a bit of a rip off though which isn't surprising really

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

hmm, well you might have to queue for an hour to get in, to stand around in the freezing cold, drinking beer from plastic cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

irishbird wrote: »
    hmm, well you might have to queue for an hour to get in, to stand around in the freezing cold, drinking beer from plastic cups.

:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Not a chance in hell you'll get a table at that time. The tent is fully booked on all Thursday, Friday and Saturdays. I went on Friday last week (not yesterday) and sat outside. You'll need to be there at 4:30 to get a table. And at 8pm you'll spend as much time queuing for the toilet and the bar as you will drinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

irishbird wrote: »
    drinking beer from plastic cups.

Complete rubbish. The total opposite is true, they serve in 1litre glasses!

3385A903.jpg

Went down last Saturday at about 8pm, shockingly barely queued at all and then got a table soon as we walked in. Outdoor, but it was a warm night. Litres of beer are a 10er, it was good craic I would go again.

Tried to go last year aswell but abandoned the idea when we saw the queue, mustve got lucky last Saturday. Go early i suppose.

• Advertisement

nm wrote: »
    Complete rubbish. The total opposite is true, they serve in 1litre glasses!

3385A903.jpg

Went down last Saturday at about 8pm, shockingly barely queued at all and then got a table soon as we walked in. Outdoor, but it was a warm night. Litres of beer are a 10er, it was good craic I would go again.

Tried to go last year aswell but abandoned the idea when we saw the queue, mustve got lucky last Saturday. Go early i suppose.

Same litre of beer available for around 7euro in Hofbrauhaus in Munich

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

howiya wrote: »
    Same litre of beer available for around 7euro in Hofbrauhaus in Munich

I don't think so, it was over 9 euro 3 years ago when I was at it (in the actual oktoberfest beerhall)

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

Was ther last Fri week, no queue in but massive ones for the toilets! Great crack, we sat outside which wouldnt be fun under our current weather conditions.

Gileadi wrote: »
    I don't think so, it was over 9 euro 3 years ago when I was at it (in the actual oktoberfest beerhall)

€7.30 according to this in Hofbrauhaus which is what i said in my original post

http://www.hofbraeuhaus.de/de/00/speisekarte_standard_en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Theres a difference between the Hoffbrauhaus which is a bricks and mortar building and the large marques that are erected in the main Oktoberfest area. I seem to have got the figure wrong but it was still 8.70-8.90 last year all around.

http://www.oktoberfest.de/en/article/About+the+Oktoberfest/About+the+Oktoberfest/Dates+and+General+FAQs/751/2/

Morale of the story is a 1 euro mark up isn't the worst

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Have been 3 times so far as I live in the area. Place was jammers on Wed and Thur evenings (7ish). Had to queue to get in, queue to buy beer, queue to buy food, queue for toilets and ATMS, and of course queue to get into the covered tent where the band and stage was. Guess the good weather accounted for the good turnout. Was there again last night (in the rain) and there was a decent crowd, but no where near as bad as the nights before. No lines for anything except to get into the covered tent. That provides the only real shelter from the wet. There were loads of deserted, empty tables out in the open that no one was sitting at due to the rain. The odd table here and there had brollies, and hordes of people huddled under them to stay dry. If you can't get into the tent or couldn't be bothered queuing to get in, your best bet is to order your beer or food and go to the side or back of each hut. They have a roof shingle that overhangs the counter by a couple of feet so you can hundle under them to eat/drink/ and stay dry. Beer (in pint plastic cup) was a fiver. The big stein was a tenner. They have spirts and wine too, but a limited selection. Brats were a fiver and pretzels three euro. Steak burger was seven euro I think. There was also a huge candy stall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Thnks for the replies all,

Think we'll give it a miss as it doesn't seem that suitable for a larger group, especially those that you wouldn't go out with that often.

Thanks for the info all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

howiya wrote: »
    €7.30 according to this in Hofbrauhaus which is what i said in my original post

http://www.hofbraeuhaus.de/de/00/speisekarte_standard_en.pdf

And..?

Germany is cheaper than Ireland shocker.. thanks for breaking the news.

6 Heineken for a dollar in Vietnam when I was there, better not go to the pub tonight so, rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

The Irish Craft Beer Festival was much better lsat week and no problem with crowds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

The bull and castle are doing Oktoberfest with steins of better german beer than youll get in the ifsc and German food. No tents but tents get old pretty quickly in our climate.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

The Irish Craft Beer Festival was much better lsat week and no problem with crowds.

absolutely gutted we missed this last weekend, due to external reasons, we had our 2 4 1 voucher and everything :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

the beer there is not really overpriced. my main gripe is having to wait in a queue for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Thanks for the heads-up, Bigcheeze! Here's what's on offer at The Bull and Castle. Sounds like the business! Very nice selection of beers and better than the IFSC, actually.

I was there (at the IFSC) last year with at a work night out and it good craic, but we had a table reserved and didn't have to queue for that reason. The queue was very long and slow-moving and if I had to queue I don't think I would have bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

KiNDA OF RELATED
    Revellers at this year's Oktoberfest in Germany drank a record number of beers, taking advantage of balmy late summer weather, organisers said today as the festivities ended.

A total of 6.9m visitors staggered around the cavernous beer tents in Munich, drinking 7.5m "steins", litre-sized measures of local brew, despite a record high price of €9.

Last year, 6.4m people drank 7m litres (12.3m pints).

To soak up the beer, party-goers also consumed 118 oxen (one more than last year), 53 calves and thousands of chickens.

Several days of soaring temperatures boosted visitor numbers, organisers said, contributing to an especially good atmosphere and a sharp rise in the amount of non-alcoholic drinks consumed.

The Munich police also had a quieter time, being called into action 2,175 times, around 100 times fewer than last year.

There were also fewer incidents of stein glasses being used to clobber other visitors round the head and significantly fewer cases of alcohol-induced unconsciousness, authorities said.

"Happily, the upward trend of attacks with beer glasses did not continue this year," said the police in its concluding report on the festival. There were 58 cases, compared to 62 in 2010, the police added.

While this is the 201st anniversary of the beer festival, it is only the 178th edition, as the event was cancelled during two cholera outbreaks and two world wars, as well as other economic and political crises.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 thorninmyside

The Porterhouse Oktoberfest starts on Thurs 13th and runs to 23rd. Seemingly have 8 German beers on draughts as well as a huge selection of bottled, German food,
    games and free beer samplings going on. Runs in all of their bars and they are bringing back the passport again this year! Sounds deadly! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement