Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which revision books are the best?

• 01-10-2011 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I want to buy revision books for the followingn subjects:

Music (Higher Level)
    French (Higher Level)
    Geography(Higher Level)
    Irish (Ordinary Level)

I was just wondering what everyone thinks are the best revision books to buy are for each? Revise Wise? Less Stress More Success? Shortcuts to Success? York Notes? Get The Points?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I want to buy revision books for the followingn subjects:

Music (Higher Level)
    French (Higher Level)
    Geography(Higher Level)
    Irish (Ordinary Level)

I was just wondering what everyone thinks are the best revision books to buy are for each? Revise Wise? Less Stress More Success? Shortcuts to Success? York Notes? Get The Points?

Thanks!

Exam Skills - Sue Honan is amazing for geography it shows you how to answer the questions with answers from the exam papers. All my teachers always recommend it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

For languages there is no outstanding "revision" books, as there really isn't such a thing more so just books with good vocab. I bought "Bien Dit" for French, it's aimed at the oral but the sayings / vocab in it is very good and works just as well for the written exam.

As mentioned above, Exam Skills by Sue Honan for Geography is amazing and cuts out so much unnecessary information.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Exam Skills - Sue Honan is amazing for geography it shows you how to answer the questions with answers from the exam papers. All my teachers always recommend it .

Sue Honan's book is very good, but I found it lacking in some questions and there's no way that you'd get an SRP for some of the stuff she credited to it. But it certainly is one of the best books and does help you understand how the examiner evaluates answers. She summarises regional pretty well and has some physical answers that I know our textbook had merely skimmed over. It's nice that she answers previous EPQs as well. She runs over some things nicely and quickly too, like mapwork.

The "Shortcuts to Success" Geography revision book is also very good, particularly for the regional Geography. In the final weeks of the exams, along with my own notes, it was pretty much all I read. It's concise and clear. I can't remember the author, but it was a blue-covered book with an orange arrow on the cover. Again, not all the answers are perfect (and it doesn't lay out marking like the Mentor book by Honan) but it is still very good. They're the only two books I could recommend.

Just as a side note, in the exam answer the question asked. Don't regurgitate an answer learned from these books on the topic. So many students do that and are marked badly for it. Learning off these answers is not a guarantee for success. They're good guides for revision and quickly skimming a topic, but you must answer the question asked. It sounds basic, but you wouldn't believe the amount of people that think revision books are enough for the exam. Understanding is crucial!

Advertisement