Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How big will the tress on O'Connell street grow?

Options
  • 01-10-2011 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

They look great, imo, and are all growing well since first planted. I was walking down yesterday wondering what will they be like in 5,10,15 years?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

They'll be cut down in a few years like the last ones. City planning at its worst!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

ya'what? Why? To plant new ones? Surely we could have nice maturing trees there for like..ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

bc dub wrote: »
    ya'what? Why? To plant new ones? Surely we could have nice maturing trees there for like..ever?

you'd think that but they'll likely be chopped down for some obscure/stupid reason like the last ones.

That said there was a thread around here a while back comparing photos of now to the 60/70/80ies, some good comparisons of trees on college green and how much they've grown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭crushproof

As far as I remember reading they're meant to be regularly clipped back to keep their kind of square symmetric design and size and what not. But it doesn't seem like that these days, looks like the cut backs (excuse the pun!) have affected their trimming

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

They will remian their current size I think. I liked the large matures down the middle, but large ones on the footpaths would ruin the street, just like the mess at College Green where the whole 'plaza' is totally taken over by them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Dose it not depend on how much the roots can grow underground so if they contained the roots under the ground would the tree not stop growing? Did they even do this or think of it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

I'm sure they will have contained the roots before planting, they won't reach the size of the old ones. They will also want to maintain the square formation with regular clipping.

Advertisement