Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12% increase in electricity costs starts today

Options
  • 01-10-2011 12:07pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭

ESB increase of 12% starts today.

Perhaps this can be used as an opportunity generate work for electrical contractors. There are many products that can be installed as well as design changes that can be made to reduce energy costs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i see massive waste out there in public buildings like schools

not a thought given to usage

some of the wastage is being addressed with energy efficient lighting being fitted

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

IMHO everyone focuses on lighting. Although it is one important aspect I think more emphasis has to be put on other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

2011 wrote: »
    IMHO everyone focuses on lighting. Although it is one important aspect I think more emphasis has to be put on other areas.

Such as?

A few typical examples would be great:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Such as?

A few typical examples would be great:)

Homes are typically heated using gas/oil/electricity. The prices of all 3 have increased. By installing stats, zone valves, multi channel time clocks can now save more money than ever before.

It is also possible turn on/off heating from your mobile phone. Not much point having your heating come on if you are going to be delayed returning home in the evening, so again money can be saved by installing a suitable device.

I also think it would be good to have a master "enable" switch at the front door. That way when you leave your home all/most lights can be switched off at a single point. Likewise the switch(es) can enable all light switches. A similar arrangement could be used for many of the socket outlets.

I am sure there are plenty of other things that can be done if a bit of imaginative thinking is employed.

Advertisement