Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Ec Teaching

• 01-10-2011 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Anybody interested in Home Ec teaching in Sligo? :confused::D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 stressedleaver

have you been to the college? id advise you to visit st. angelas before putting it as first choice on your cao! The college reminds me of a prison tbh :/ sligo is ment to have a serious night life tho! apparently it can be survived if not living on campus!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

have you been to the college? id advise you to visit st. angelas before putting it as first choice on your cao! The college reminds me of a prison tbh :/ sligo is ment to have a serious night life tho! apparently it can be survived if not living on campus!:D

I sense that you have visited it..? Well I'm from Cork so it's a bit of a distance but I might go :/
    Anything else you can tell me about it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

live in town and you will be fine! Its become a little bit more modern in recent years, is a hard course, teaching practice in secondary schools from first year. Its manageable though and to be honest is a great job once your in it ( so long as your not in it for the holidays that is!) Like all teaching though - be warned the jobs are few and far between, you have to be willing to sub a good bit in the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

live in town and you will be fine! Its become a little bit more modern in recent years, is a hard course, teaching practice in secondary schools from first year. Its manageable though and to be honest is a great job once your in it ( so long as your not in it for the holidays that is!) Like all teaching though - be warned the jobs are few and far between, you have to be willing to sub a good bit in the beginning.

What course did you do? :) Are the small classes good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dumdiddle

i want to do home ec teaching as well but i duno whether to do it with religion or economics /consumer studies...any advice? im not doing religion for leaving cert so would picking religion be a bad decision?

As for the college i have looked up possibly everything about it and seen pictures of it and it looks tiny! :( im really into sports and play on lots of teams so im worried that if i go here i wont be able to do any sports!

and one thing is for certain, i do not think i would be living on campus! its basically a prison..i heard that anybody who is not living on campus has to be gone by 12am!:mad: and i think its quite expensive aswell! can anybody tell me more about the college eg clubs, sports etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 stressedleaver

the college is quite small! its such a pity its the only place for home ec teaching! but if its really what you want to do i wouldnt let it stop ya

I did the HOme ec with biology course, small classes are an advantage and a disadvantage-- you will be missed if your not there!!

dumdiddle as far as i know you can still join all the sports stuff in the IT - probably a good idea to live in yeats village close to the it and on the bus route out to the prison:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

dumdiddle wrote: »
    i want to do home ec teaching as well but i duno whether to do it with religion or economics /consumer studies...any advice? im not doing religion for leaving cert so would picking religion be a bad decision?

Makes no difference if you haven't done it for Leaving, in fact in many ways it would be a plus not to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dumdiddle

dumdiddle as far as i know you can still join all the sports stuff in the IT - probably a good idea to live in yeats village close to the it and on the bus route out to the prison:D

That would be great if you could join! i was going to make my mind up fully whether to do home ec teaching on the open day but i found out today that we our school is bringing us away for a night to some place that day so now i cant go :(:mad: I dont even think im going to get to see the college now so i have no idea what to do now
    Do you know if you can visit the college any day to look around? :)

• Advertisement

dumdiddle I pmed you there- but ya you can just head up and wander around - prob worth giving the students union a buzz up there - think their number is on the website and tell them Youll be missing the open day and would like a look around- you might get a tour and a bit of inside info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 energeticxx

I am studying in St.Angela's and tbh yes its a very small college. I would advise living on campus for first yr tho as its good for making friends and most first yrs live on campus, after that you'l have made great friends and then move to town!

I would really recommend you to visit the college, if you phoned the college they would definatly give you a tour if you came up on a saturday or maybe during your easter break.

As for clubs and societies there are none in the college, just aerobics once a week, its a disgrace and you can't join them in the IT.

Overall the course it is hard as there is alot of content but I would not say it is difficult. It is more so that the long hours and are draining. Best of luck with your decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Caoisinsane

Im from cork and up until recently wanted to do nutritional science in ucc but the points are really high And I hate mathis and physics.
    When I actually thought about it home ec teaching is exactly what I want to do but there's one problem...Sligo.
    Would I be better off living on campus or not and should I drive up or get thebus...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

Im from cork and up until recently wanted to do nutritional science in ucc but the points are really high And I hate mathis and physics.
    When I actually thought about it home ec teaching is exactly what I want to do but there's one problem...Sligo.
    Would I be better off living on campus or not and should I drive up or get thebus...thanks

Well I'm in monaghan so I'll be getting the bus, it's more or less just a straight drive over, I'm interested in knowing what accom is like though.

On campus or off campus I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 energeticxx

I think living on campus id best for first yr as it is great for making friends. After first yr I would them advise to live in town with people that you know.

If you live in town in first yr it is very unlikely that you will be living with ppl in your class, good chance they'd be in the IT. This is all fine but the hrs and work load is alot higher in St. Angela's than the IT and its nice to have people from your class living with you to help with the college work, thats just my opion anyway!

If you have a car and drive then drive, it gives you great independence, especially with how the college is so isolated from everywhere,

That's great!

Any guidelines on what the cost of living would be there for the year?

Also, would you be able to give a rough guideline as to what your timetable for a week is?

Please and thank you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Caoisinsane

This may sound ridiculous but when do I need to apply for accommodation?

It's not ridiculous at all, I was actually wondering the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭lainey108

i really wanted to do home ec teaching but just cant afford to go to sligo, such a shame that its the only place :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

This may sound ridiculous but when do I need to apply for accommodation?

Most places are taking deposits now so you should contact the place where you're planning to stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

Hey everybody!

I'm looking into courses to go into biology teaching and I was looking at the Home Ec and Biology course! I did home ec for the Junior Cert and really enjoyed it, but it clashed with my language on the timetable so I couldn't keep it on for the leaving. I would definitely have kept it if I could. Would I be able to go into the course having not done Home Ec for the leaving or would it be mad?

Thanks in advance for any replies! :):confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

crayon1 wrote: »
    Hey everybody!

I'm looking into courses to go into biology teaching and I was looking at the Home Ec and Biology course! I did home ec for the Junior Cert and really enjoyed it, but it clashed with my language on the timetable so I couldn't keep it on for the leaving. I would definitely have kept it if I could. Would I be able to go into the course having not done Home Ec for the leaving or would it be mad?

Thanks in advance for any replies! :):confused:

Doing home ec in the LC is not a course requirement as biology will get you
    In! However I feel you may be at a disadvantage when you are doing teaching practice for 3rd and 4th year as the home ec teachers may give you a journal assignment to do with their 5th years! I went to college with a girl who didn't do home ec and she got on grand however some lecturers did pass comments constantly on the fact she never studied it! If your main aim is to be a biology teacher I would advise you against st Angela's as it will be 80% home ec 20% biology and the chances of you teaching more than one group of biology per week once you are qualified are very slim as the principal will need you for home ec! St Angela's is very very restrictive with regards to college
    Life so unless you are 100% dedicated to home ec I would suggest you looking into a B.Ed in Science education elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MichaelaH

I'm thinking of doing irish and homeec in st angelas in Sept '12 . I have it as my first choice . Iv my leaving cert done .
    I havn been to the college open day.
    I don't know anyone going to the college.Im just wondering :
    1. what is the night life like?st ang students ?
    2. which is better on campus or off campus?

I'm worried that the people on the course will not be into the social life and going out side of college .:D
    I'm worried I'm going to hate it .I'm hearing very negitive comments on the college social life :/

Hope Someone Can Help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rave_babi

HI!!! I really REALLY REALLY Hope to get onto this course too!! Fingers crossed wiith the results :D I was thinking of staying in Sligo town if I do manage to get the points. At least the nightlife is on your doorstep and you wont be forking out the bomb for taxis back to angelas every night. There is plenty of student accomadation in sligo town so I hope its not too hard to find something!! Plus there isa bus out to angelas a couple of times a day. And its only 2 mins out the road. I would justprefer to be in sligo town where there is peoplearound and your near the shops and stuff. Go n-éiri and t-ádh leat le do torthaí dé Céadaoin seo chugainn :) but yehhh dont worry about people not wanting to party. Its collage. Everyone loves the odd party :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

Hey guys i really want to do home ec teaching too,home -ec and consumer studies is first on my cao but i don't know if i can get the points for it :/ i like the idea of living on campus as i would be living with other first years :p and i agree i'm sure everyone would like a night out! some more than others yea

• Registered Users Posts: 4 leanneee

Im doing home ec and consumer studies too!...well hopefully :/ But yeah i hope to go out ALOT! Pity about being so far out of Sligo though but i think its best for first year anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

leanneee wrote: »
    Im doing home ec and consumer studies too!...well hopefully :/ But yeah i hope to go out ALOT! Pity about being so far out of Sligo though but i think its best for first year anyway :D

Guys I hate to burst your bubble but unless the course has changes dramatically since I have done it, the only partying you will be doing is pulling all nighters in the sewing room!!! I can count two hands the amount of times we went out in our first three years! Honestly the workload is insane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

I wouldn't mind that if we only went out a few times :p but my teacher this year for sixth year was just fresh out of angelas and she was boasting about the nightlife , i don't know really :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Anyusername

Hi guys,

I'm also considering this as a career choice. 
    I have been on St. Angela's website and the qualifax website and cannot see Home Economics with consumer studies?

Are ye referring  to Home Economics with Economics when ye talk about Consumer Studies?

Thanks for any help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 leanneee

Yeah its Home economics with economics....some websites says consumer studies but its the same course!

Advertisement