Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Ec Teaching

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

I have Primary Teaching first on The CAO but if I don't get the points I'll probably be going to Sligo!

Anybody else from Cork? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

Hopefully you will get primary school if thats what you really want, no i'm in dublin :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

Cannot believe the jump in points this year! 50 points higher for the irish one. It is crazy, was anyone lucky enough to get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CatchingFire

I'm off it by ten points :( heart broken! is there any hope for me in the second round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I'm off it by ten points :( heart broken! is there any hope for me in the second round?

Catching fire I presume you have gotten offered home ec with religion or economics? If so don't sweat it if you really want to do Irish you could do a swap when you get in there. They tell everyone on the open day you can't switch. LIES LIES LIES :)

• Advertisement

Oh if only I'd known, this makes it even worse, I'm an idiot :')

Oh if only I'd known, this makes it even worse, I'm an idiot :')

With a bit of luck points will go down. I always tell students you are going to be a home ec teacher. Students get too bogged down in the elective! Only two people from my year have ever taught ours (and that includes me)! If it is something you really really really want to do and the worst comes to the worst and points don't go down, take a year out and reapply through cao next year. There is no back way or alternative route into home ec unfortunately. You could even do some textiles course for the year which would really really stand to you!

Thanks so much for your help and advise! Unfortunately I will have to repeat if the points don't come down, I want it too much :') thanks again!

Thanks so much for your help and advise! Unfortunately I will have to repeat if the points don't come down, I want it too much :') thanks again!

Catching fire I honestly don't think you have to repeat. You got 495? I really think it will be more than enough to get in to home ec and ?

Yeah perhaps you're right, I'm just so upset/confused at the minute, my head will be all over the place until next Thursday :') (damn the long wait :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement

Yeah perhaps you're right, I'm just so upset/confused at the minute, my head will be all over the place until next Thursday :') (damn the long wait :rolleyes:)

Look over the points over the last few years. Maybe ask your guidance counsellor. Also look into plc sewing/textile/fashion courses for the year as it would really stand to you if you do need to wait a year! None of us even knew how to thread a machine when we started and that was the thing we struggled with most in 1st year. We were so clueless! On reflection I wish I had a done a plc first and deferred for a year but my school never even told us about them!

Great, I shall look into some so, thank you so much, honestly you've really helped me and I appreciate it so much!

Great, I shall look into some so, thank you so much, honestly you've really helped me and I appreciate it so much!

No prob catching fire, fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭moonstruck

Hey :) I got the home ec course, trying to decide on accommodation now :) dont think ill be on campus but kinda worried about transport if i live off campus :/

Congrats, what are you doing it with? :) my friend lives off campus and she said that there is a bus every morning

Irish, feel so bad for you, was not expecting such a jump in points :/ Yeah but its hard trying to find places the bus route goes past when you don't know Sligo :) Will be going up some day this week anyway so ill find something! :)

aw well done:D, yeah me either:( hopefully second rounds :S oh yes I see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Don31

hi. its nice 2 c sum other people who got home ec teachin in St Ang. nice 2 know a few people b4 we start. i got home ec nd bio teachin nd my sis got home ec nd economics. delighted, can't wait 2 start. :):)

Don31 wrote: »
    hi. its nice 2 c sum other people who got home ec teachin in St Ang. nice 2 know a few people b4 we start. i got home ec nd bio teachin nd my sis got home ec nd economics. delighted, can't wait 2 start. :):)
    ahh that's so cool :D twins? :) are ye staying on campus or off ? :)

yip we're twins. delighted we're in da same place. stayin on campus well hopefully, its supposed 2 b better 4 makin friends. rang up 2day 2 get our names on d list so sendin da form nd da deposit 2moro, so excitin. do u know when we start??? wat r u doin 4 accomodation??

• Advertisement

yea i'd say its great for makin but they got a bad reputation last year, i heard of a few people not getting their deposits back and stuff... its also a lot dearer than off campus so i really dont know at this stage :) my name is down too so we'll see :D i have no idea when we're startin, cant ind anything on the website :/ really lookin forward to it tho :D

i tink dey can take ur deposit if u damage da room nd stuff. yeah it is dat bit dearer but dats all ur bills except groceries nd going out money. so its not dat bad. yeah not sure bout start date either. i tink its 2wks 2day but not sure tbh. its so excitin. it'll b gr8. we're u from?? r u movin far from home??

moonstruck wrote: »
    yea i'd say its great for makin but they got a bad reputation last year, i heard of a few people not getting their deposits back and stuff... its also a lot dearer than off campus so i really dont know at this stage :) my name is down too so we'll see :D i have no idea when we're startin, cant ind anything on the website :/ really lookin forward to it tho :D

I would Defo agree with staying on campus in 1st year. To be honest the workload will hit you like a tonne of bricks and it is real handy having your classmates close by as you can help each other! I have to say from a bonding point of view the few who did not live on campus in 1st year when I was in college were kind of seen as "outsiders" , I know that sounds a bit strange but it is true.
    One downside is due to the high concentration of females the place can get bitchy at times! But just don't get involved in any domestics!! even if it's something do silly like someone is coping you material or they are doing frills on their top etc lol :)

Yeah but they place went bust last year so there was big commotion, hopefully its all sorted now :) yeah dats ryt actually :D
    are you goin up at all before u book the place? :) i'm from Galway wbu? :)

Yeah but they place went bust last year so there was big commotion, hopefully its all sorted now :) yeah dats ryt actually :D
    are you goin up at all before u book the place? :) i'm from Galway wbu? :)

i'm from Donegal d my bro lives in sligo so i kinda know da town but hv only been out in St Ang once, very briefly. let me know wat u decide for accomodation.

aw I see, i've only been at the open day :) kk will do :)

aw I see, i've only been at the open day :) kk will do :)

Ah its gonna b gr8. we'll have a blast 4 da 4yrs. can't wait. :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ciarak4179

yay..more people who are doing Home ec.I got Home ec. and Irish. I can't wait to start:) though transport is going to be a nightmare.:(

ciarak4179 wrote: »
    yay..more people who are doing Home ec.I got Home ec. and Irish. I can't wait to start:) though transport is going to be a nightmare.:(
    yeah transport is gonna be such a pain.. are you staying on or off campus? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ciarak4179

I'm staying on campus. sent in the deposit about a month ago though will have to travel into sligo for food and stuff cause theres no shop on campus anymore! :(

Advertisement