Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Ec Teaching

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Don31

ciarak4179 wrote: »
    Ya I know. I don't drive either so transport will be a problem..but I recently met a HE teacher from another school and she said she would give me a lift if I went to her school. I'm from north Tipperary. I don't think we can go back to our old school..at least not till 4th year..It's St angelas policy!

It's reli hard 2 pick. :) Oh very gud! I've never been in tipperary. R u in2 d hurling? ha ha
    One of d girls who graduated this year from home ec nd biology has been helpin me out alot. She went to my skul this year nd she wasn't 2 impressed so i doubt i'll b goin bac.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭moonstruck

Don31 wrote: »
    Tinkin of gettin 1 of "brother" machines d lecturers recommend. I assume they're d best. Wat r u tinkin?

That's sounds reli gud. Hope she writes u a gud one. :)

Yea I'm defo not goin bac 2 my old skul either. Tink I'll go 4 round Sligo. I hav aunts in Kildare nd Louth so they're always options. Where r u tinkin?? Is ur skul on d list??

Oh really, ill look into the brother ones so tomorrow :) see what the story is :D ah sure if he doesn't ill find someone else haha :D Yeah actually Sligo would be handy since we have a place to stay there already :D Yeah my school is on the list :D is yours? :D

kds24 wrote: »
    ohhh didn't notice the fire!! yeah i hope they're warm apartments!! i presume sligo gets really cold in winter with the wind from the atlantic!! i hope everyone is nice :)could not be bothered getting involved with bitchyness etc!

Apparently we get alot of days off if ther's bad snow coz d lecturers can't amke it out 2 lough gill.
    Yea i hope every1 is nice 2. No bitchyness hopefully. Well every1 seems reli nice here online.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭moonstruck

It's reli hard 2 pick. :) Oh very gud! I've never been in tipperary. R u in2 d hurling? ha ha
    One of d girls who graduated this year from home ec nd biology has been helpin me out alot. She went to my skul this year nd she wasn't 2 impressed so i doubt i'll b goin bac.
    I'd say trying to have discipline in your old school would be tough :/ esp since we just left last june... or maybe thats just in mine :D

moonstruck wrote: »
    Oh really, ill look into the brother ones so tomorrow :) see what the story is :D ah sure if he doesn't ill find someone else haha :D Yeah actually Sligo would be handy since we have a place to stay there already :D Yeah my school is on the list :D is yours? :D

They're shud b a sheet in d huge pile sumwhere bout d sewing machines. Yea sligo would b gud. I must try nd get d name of sum of d gud skuls. Yea my skul is on d list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ciarak4179

haha..we won't mention Tipp's hurling lately!:)..It's good to have someone just to answer questions and stuff about the college before we go up!:)

moonstruck wrote: »
    I'd say trying to have discipline in your old school would be tough :/ esp since we just left last june... or maybe thats just in mine :D

No I'd say it would b hard 2 hav discipline in my skul 2. At least it's only 1st year girls but at d same time I'd say they'll b quite chatty. I tink u need 2 b reli serious nd strict 4 d 1st couple of days.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Don31, you have already been told that text speak is against the forum rules, next time it'll be a ban.

haha..we won't mention Tipp's hurling lately!:)..It's good to have someone just to answer questions and stuff about the college before we go up!:)

Oh it least you won the all ireland lately. Hopefully Donegal can do the business against Cork this week-end! :) Heading up to Dublin tomorow for the match. COME ON DONEGAL!!

Yea she's been reli nice answering all my silly questions. ha ha It's amazing the amount of questions i have.

Oh it least you won the all ireland lately. Hopefully Donegal can do the business against Cork this week-end! :) Heading up to Dublin tomorow for the match. COME ON DONEGAL!!

Yea she's been reli nice answering all my silly questions. ha ha It's amazing the amount of questions i have.

Haha.I was in Donegal on holidays like 2 weeks ago.it's lovely..so I''l shout for them too on Sunday so!:)

• Advertisement

Haha.I was in Donegal on holidays like 2 weeks ago.it's lovely..so I''l shout for them too on Sunday so!:)

Oh cool!! What part of Donegal where you in?? Yes you shud definitely shout for them. According to my Dad there's 30,000 Donegal fans heading up.

Oh cool!! What part of Donegal where you in?? Yes you shud definitely shout for them. According to my Dad there's 30,000 Donegal fans heading up.

I was in Rossnowlagh..but we kinda traveled all around cause there wasn't an awful lot to do there..except for the beach!:).we went up to malin head and everything!...God there will be an awful lot of people at the match if theres that many from Donegal alone!

I was in Rossnowlagh..but we kinda traveled all around cause there wasn't an awful lot to do there..except for the beach!:).we went up to malin head and everything!...God there will be an awful lot of people at the match if theres that many from Donegal alone!

You were at both ends of Donegal so. I live in the West of Donegal. Hopefully they'll be loads. The more the merrier. I got ten tickets because three of my aunts wanted to come along. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

ok before y'all break your parent's bank balance -
    STOP
    if st. angela's is anything like it was when i was there (and i think it is) you won't need HALF of what it says on the list
    best thing i'd advise is wait and speak to a 2nd year - or if on induction, an older student there to help out with orientation.
    you really really won't need half the stuff - gezz we were told we needed all sorts - linen teatowel for polishing glass, xy&z amounts of this that and the other and it was utter crap
    we did need at least 2 white lab coats - one for cookery and one for the science lab as crossing-over is a no-no as microbes get grown in the science lab and you certaintly don't want to be responsible for bringing e-coli into the kitchens ! :eek:
    personally i thought singer sewing machines were better - i know st angela's always pushed brothers as they are more common in the northwest but being from the south, there is a singer shop in cork city which can service singers so maybe bear that in mind as well - it really doesn't matter which brand you get though.
    re the accomodation and lack of shop on site - many many years of students managed before you so you'll be fine ( back in my day we HAD to live on campus with the nuns in first year, we weren't allowed to use the privately paid for bus into town and had to fork out for taxis (or hackney in my case) all the time). we also had to walk halfway into town "to the blue sign" to meet said taxis in times of snow - some great memories from that :pac:
    it is isolated but at least its bigger and newer nowadays
    enjoy !
    come back and let us know how the social life is cos i'm laughing here to myself reading some of the posts (not in a mean way btw) but seriously the work load is sooo intense you'll wish for the leaving cert back 10 times over ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kittywinks

I agree completely with happyforlife, don't rush out and buy every single item on your book and equipment list like i did! 
    As mentioned above 2 white coats, a sewing machine and a cutlery and dissection kit are all essentials. However you don't have to buy them from the suppliers used by the college, alot of the items in the cutlery kit can be picked up cheaply with the exception of a good set of knives. 
    Regarding the sewing machine the basic model of any of the popular brands is perfect, I bought a pfaff as it has a hard cover case which protects it when you are travelling about with it. Pop into your local sewing shop and at least have an idea of the cost before you go shopping in St. Angela's. 
    Also don't buy all the books on your book list, I remember using the anatomy and physiology, teaching practice and sewing book. All the rest were opened at most once when doing an essay and I could have easily used one of the copies in the college library. Also look up the book depository online to see how much those books are and them compare them with the prices on the list. 
    The B. Ed. is a very expensive course, you will be buying textiles for your fist sewing project before the end of Sept. and you'll still be spending next March on Teaching Practice on chart paper etc so spend a little time now researching the different items so you can save a little money. 
    The most important item to buy is a good black permanent marker to label everything :) 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

With regard to the sewing machines I would be inclined to go with bernina. They are extremely expensive brand new but the bernina shop does sell second hand ones from time to time. They will last you your lifetime! Literally. I wouldn't waste my money on a brother, I used one once in first year doing a project and it was skipping stitches etc. they are not as sturdy as a bernina. I have all berninas in school and some are 35 years old!!! Which I think speaks volumes! The bernina man told me some schools are switching onto a brand called jwin I think they cost €200 and don't require a bobbin case. He said they are grand but obviously will not last too long as bernina!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kds24

hi everyone - went in to sweeney o'rourke in dublin today to see if they engrave your name on knives... they don't :( does anyone know of anywhere to get your name engraved on knives? just don't want mine going walkies!! the guy in SO'R gave me the number of a guy who might engrave, but just wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

hi everyone - went in to sweeney o'rourke in dublin today to see if they engrave your name on knives... they don't :( does anyone know of anywhere to get your name engraved on knives? just don't want mine going walkies!! the guy in SO'R gave me the number of a guy who might engrave, but just wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

Definitely get them engraved it is so worth it as they are super expensive. A quick search on google tells me timpson in Stephens green shopping centre do knife engraving at €5 per knife!
    http://www.timpson.co.uk/store.php?id=779

Millem wrote: »
    Definitely get them engraved it is so worth it as they are super expensive. A quick search on google tells me timpson in Stephens green shopping centre do knife engraving at €5 per knife!

thanks a mil Millem, i've never noticed that shop in the shopping centre before!!

Millem wrote: »

I bet most cobbler/key cutting shop does engraving especially if the do pet tags! If it is too far for you check with your local cobbler/key cutter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 CatchingFire

I'll be joining ye up there guys, so excited :D:D

Well done :):)

Thanks so much! :D

Congratulations! :D You deserve it because you done such a great Leaving. :) I got offered Home Ec and Irish this mornin. Have already accepted Home Ec and Economics so I hav a decision to make. :(

Sorry just to let you know we're starting on the 5th. You must be so excited. Fair play to you. :)

Congratulations! :D You deserve it because you done such a great Leaving. :) I got offered Home Ec and Irish this mornin. Have already accepted Home Ec and Economics so I hav a decision to make. :(

Don31 i'm in the same boat!! think i'm gonna stick with eco...

CONGRATS! where are you from? ahhh well done you must be thrilled!

Thanks so much guys! oh that's a tough decision, at least ye have some time to think about it! :) I'm from Clare :)

Thanks so much guys! oh that's a tough decision, at least ye have some time to think about it! :) I'm from Clare :)

ah brilliant, there seems to be people from all over the country which is nice :) is it difficult to get to sligo from clare?

• Advertisement

amm it's very long on a bus because I would have to go ennis-galway-sligo but I'll probably just get dropped to galway to make it shorter :D it's so worth it:D

Advertisement