Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom 3MB to 7MB still increase latancy and ping?

• 01-10-2011 12:18pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys im currently on eircom 3mb bb,eircom and their resold bb is all i can get here, not even NGB available here :(
    Couple of years ago we got upgraded to 8MB or maybe it was 7MB?
    The problem was latency and pings went through the roof and gaming was terrible,i swiftly downgraded back to 3MB to stbalize things.
    Im wondering if things have changed since?
    Id really like a faster download speed but dont want to compromise on pings ingame.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It shouldn't happen, but if your line is of poor quality then the increased speed will cause problems, so that could be it. Can you check your line stats? Log on to the modem, and look for line attenuation and SNR margin. Should be a Stats page somewhere (varies by modem), under diagnostics most likely.

If the attenuation is high, like 60dB, or the SNR margin is low, 6dB, then you have a poor line. This website has various info about them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hi jor el, here are my stats.
    Im about 500 meters from the exchange.

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 15.00 13.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 17.00 11.00
    CRC Errors 5 23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Dcully wrote: »
    Hi jor el, here are my stats.
    Im about 500 meters from the exchange.

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 15.00 13.00
    CRC Errors 5 23

Your downstream noise margin is off compared to your attenuation.

Those CRC errors should not be there either but they are an indication of a possible issue.

Check your internal setup, make sure you are on your main socket etc. If you upgrade with a line like these interleave will kill your gaming and your lag will increase

I reset the modem on Saturday morning,i seem to have less errors.
    Is there anyway to turn off interleave?

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 16.50 16.00
    CRC Errors 0 2

Dcully wrote: »
    I reset the modem on Saturday morning,i seem to have less errors.
    Is there anyway to turn off interleave?

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 16.50 16.00
    CRC Errors 0 2

Not really, the crc count is not too bad, your concern should be your snr/attenuation as they dont match. Make sure everything is filtered (sky, alarms, phones, faxed), try getting this information with nothing connected to your phone line, nothing but the router, and no extension either, just the one that came with the router and post those results ;)

• Advertisement

Sorry about the delay in getting back about this.

2 sky boxes disconnected, hands free phone filtered.

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 17.00 14.00
    CRC Errors 0 2

Any more advice on whether eircom 7mb will increae my pings from 3mb? thoughts greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

From what I remember about the time of the the high pings with the introduction of the 7.6mbit package (with interleaving) gamers hated, Fastpath was enabled on the 3mbit package but disabled on anything higher. You can not have interleaving and fastpath. Most gamers downgraded to 3mbit for fastpath. Eircom then introduced a different gamer 7mbit package, which used the uplink modulation of 3mbit improving pingtimes slightly over the standard 7.6mbit package.
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2182

I'm not sure if this situation has changed, they still use interleaving, my modem tells me so

Thanks mate, it might be worth a punt so.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    From what I remember about the time of the the high pings with the introduction of the 7.6mbit package (with interleaving) gamers hated, Fastpath was enabled on the 3mbit package but disabled on anything higher. You can not have interleaving and fastpath. Most gamers downgraded to 3mbit for fastpath. Eircom then introduced a different gamer 7mbit package, which used the uplink modulation of 3mbit improving pingtimes slightly over the standard 7.6mbit package.

I'm not sure if this situation has changed, they still use interleaving, my modem tells me so

Many ISPs use interleaving. Interleaving as such is not a problem. Enabling FEC is useful on bad lines. What is a problem is how "much" interleave Eircom will apply to a line. With this I mean whats commonly know as interleave depth.

At the begginning when Eircom upgraded everyone to 7.x mb they were afraid that poor lines might not deal well with this upgrade so they created a new profile with a very high interleave depth. It was availabe as xyHH (where x is the speed and y is rate adaptive), for ex 7.6RHH (in fact, it was 7.6RH back then).

I can't tell you exactly how much depth their interleve had/has, but I'd say it musta been around 32/64 bits. That is an increase of approx 5 ms (RRT) for every 8 bits, so you do the math.

If your line is ok you dont/wont need a high interleave profile. Eircom now offer a low interleave profile which should not increase your latency much... On average, in Ireland ISPs will or should use an interleave depth of 8, unless a line is in bad shape.

How much latency you are going to experience it will all depend on the amount of CRC/HEC errors your line has. As well as your SNR table and transmit powers. Well, not directly but they could be an indication. From what I can see your line seems ok-ish. Cant really say much more I am afraid!

PogMoThoin wrote: »

I was reading this and I have to say that I dont think Eircom offer fastpath on their lines. I am not 100% sure, but as far as I remember the gamers option was a low interleave product.

To my knowledge very few ISPs offer fastpath as an option, BT, Smart and I believe Magnet do. Maybe others but I dont know for sure.

I will check the latest Eircom IPM and get back to you if you want.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, thoughts appreciated.
    Based on your knowledge would you folk expect pings to be ok if i go with 7mb?

I really would like the increased speed but definitely not at the expense of gaming pings.

The interleaving on the 7.6Mb package was 64/8 if I recall correctly.
    Bohrio wrote: »
    To my knowledge very few ISPs offer fastpath as an option, BT, Smart and I believe Magnet do. Maybe others but I dont know for sure.
    Eircom certainly do, for some reason the DSL in my job is on fastpath. I don't know why because the line is terrible, can't even handle 3 meg reliably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Bohrio wrote: »
    I was reading this and I have to say that I dont think Eircom offer fastpath on their lines. I am not 100% sure, but as far as I remember the gamers option was a low interleave product.

I will check the latest Eircom IPM and get back to you if you want.

They definitely did have fastpath on 3mbit before the upgrade to 7.6mbit, not sure what the situation is now though. My pings at the time were about 18ms to www.inex.ie, it's now 30ms

Karsini wrote: »
    The interleaving on the 7.6Mb package was 64/8 if I recall correctly.

Eircom certainly do, for some reason the DSL in my job is on fastpath. I don't know why because the line is terrible, can't even handle 3 meg reliably.

Ok so I checked and Eircom do not offer FastPath on any of their Regular IP products. It is either Low interleave or High Interleave (downstream/upstream).

I can only see it available for IPSprint and Zoom, and even then it doesnt clearly say is a fastpath line.

I dont remember before the upgrade though. If you have a fastpath line at work it might be either one of those or maybe a different product?

Advertisement