Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool Trip Itineraries En Route To Sydney?!

Options
  • 01-10-2011 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Well folks,

Anybody got any cool trip itineraries for someone heading out to Oz on a WHV? :) Had a look over the Independent Travel section and did a search already, but didn't see much and want more recent thoughts :)

Am thinking I'd be mad not to do a bit of travel on the way over - certainly ain't gonna do that long trek without breaking up the journey in some way! :)

My thoughts are something like:

Dub > Tokyo > Singapore > Bali > Sydney or
    Dub > Singapore > Bali > Darwin (have a friend there) > Sydney or
    Dub > Singapore > Darwin > Sydney or
    Dub > Bali > Darwin > Sydney...

Anybody got any thoughts? Any other cool ideas? Defo like the idea of chilling on a paradise beach for a week on the way over, so I figure Bali has that!! I don't have any interest in Thailand/Vietnam etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

What's cool for you may be totally different for someone else so this is a very open question.

Doha or Dubai in middle east is a bit different, 6 hrs or so from Dublin.

KL is not such a long flight from middle east and nice beaches in langkawi.
    Your other non typical asian stops might be Shanghai, Taipei or Osaka, Tokyo.
    Hong kong can be interesting if you head out to Lantau for a couple of days.

Australians tend to treat Bali much like the Brits treat the costas in Spain, steer well clear of Kuta. Lombok is worth a look as is Komodo but a bit of a hike.
    Darwin is not a place I would want to visit November through March. Unless you relish high humidity, heat and rain.

To be honest pick a city you absolutely have to visit and route around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Newsite

Cheers dude, I was also thinking Dubai would be really cool to visit as well...will prob give Darwin a miss alright when it comes down to it.
    What's cool for you may be totally different for someone else so this is a very open question.

Doha or Dubai in middle east is a bit different, 6 hrs or so from Dublin.

KL is not such a long flight from middle east and nice beaches in langkawi.
    Your other non typical asian stops might be Shanghai, Taipei or Osaka, Tokyo.
    Hong kong can be interesting if you head out to Lantau for a couple of days.

Australians tend to treat Bali much like the Brits treat the costas in Spain, steer well clear of Kuta. Lombok is worth a look as is Komodo but a bit of a hike.
    Darwin is not a place I would want to visit November through March. Unless you relish high humidity, heat and rain.

To be honest pick a city you absolutely have to visit and route around it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Avoid Bali. There are way better beaches in Australia than Bali. Fly into KL or Singapore and use that as your base. From there you can get cheap tickets to pretty much any where in South East Asia. You should be able to pick up a flight to Bangkok for under 50 quid and then onwards to Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia if you have the time. Laos is unreal! No beaches but plenty of mountains and rivers to keep you going. If you want beaches then go to thailand I suppose. Dont forget Malaysia especially Borneo, I would take a week or two to see Sabah if of course that is your thing. Dont rush it either. We did loads in 3 months of travelling but at the end you always wish for a day or two extra here and there.

Oh and of course you could come the other way via the US, maybe stop off in LA or SF and do a trip around that area, then onwards to Fiji, which is UNREAL. Fiji is without doubt one of the most beautiful places on earth. Then on to OZ. TBH the only thing stopping you is $$ and your imagination.

Advertisement