Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cube Crank size concern?

• 01-10-2011 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

I got a new Cube Agree GTC pro a fortnight ago, and between one thing and another, I simply haven't had the time to get out on it yet, except for the day I bought it. Instead I've been largely doing some gentle spinning on the turbo trainer.

I've noticed one though thing that bothers me slightly. The saddle is height is spot on, but I feel that my knees are coming up higher than I'm used to and it feels a little uncomfortable.

I'm wondering is it possible that the crank is slightly too long for me? It's 175mm and the frame is a 50cm. I'm 5'6" myself. I pretty sure the lads in the bike shop will do the needful if it needs changing, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I ought to consider before going back?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

It depends more on your leg length, I am 5'5" with a 29" inner leg and all online crank calculators tell me that I should be using a 158mm crank. But in short I would say that 175mm is maybe 10mm too long for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

175mm cranks on a 50cm bike is very strange. I find it hard to believe that it was the original CUBE spec - do you know if the shop changed it? My 58cm CUBE, bought a few years ago now, came with 172.5mm cranks which suits me fine. The only significant time I've spent on longer cranks was followed by a long frustrating bout of tendinitis so cranks length isn't a trivial issue, at least not for me.

My advice would be to use the same length crank as whatever you have gotten used to in the past. Muscle memory is a powerful thing. Unless the was something wrong with your old action then why change it?

From what I've read on the issue, no one has been able to demonstrate a significant mechanical advantage of using longer cranks - what you gain in torque you lose in RPM and acceleration may suffer on longer cranks as it effectively ups your gearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

Way too long - 170mm at most, even 167.5mm should have been the standard spec for that size frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Thanks for the input lads. I had the crank changed from a triple to a compact and the 175 is what they fitted to it. Will ask them to do a swap so...

Advertisement