Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a good price on dog food

• 01-10-2011 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hope someone can help.

Im looking for somewhere that would sell good priced dog food. Between the dogs im going through 30 tins a week and its pretty expensive in my local spar. So far Tesco at €8 for 12 cans is the cheapest ive found.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I'd say go for Dry Food instead of tins, It's better for the dogs and will probably work out cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I second the dry food!! Atlantic Homecare are doing a 12kg bag of Brandy complete for €10.99, it good value for money and its not a bad food! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Tinned dog food is muck and you are basicly paying for something which is 80% water. If you have enough dog to buy dry food in bulk, zooplus.co.uk do deals on 2 large bags of good quality foods, the better quality the food, the less of it you need to feed.

For example my dog weighs 6kg and goes through a 2kg bag of good quality food in a month. You can work out the cost roughly if you allow that you will feed 2% of the weight of your dogs in food every day and you can work out from this how long 2 x 15kg bags will last. Lower quality foods will mean you might have to feed up to 5% of your dogs bodyweight so is actually a bit of a false economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Oh god, dont feed tinned food as a main diet for a dog, its awful stuff and full of water so no nutritional value in it for them.

Try a good quality dry food and this will last and will be a lot more economical too.

You can get a big bag of food for around 35-40 euro and it will last you a month or more depending on the size of the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wildthorneberry

No harm in having a couple of cans of wet food to introduce them to the dry food. Most dogs aren't fussy but the sudden change in diet will more than likely make the sick.

And whatever you buy wet or dry make sure it is a 'Complete' dog food so it has all nutritional requirments provided. I'd also advise pet insurance for when they get older ie over 7 as could end up on prescription food which is expensive but most insurance will cover it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

I also think you should go with the dry food much much better for the dogs.

And works out cheaper in the long run. They may turn up their noses to start with so i'd add dry food to the tins for the start and reduce tin food each day.

I pay 30 euro for 2 15kg bags (its BOGOF)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

I use dry food and mix in some wet food for variety and its not expensive - also their poo is less sloppy when not on all wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Saw a dog last week that looked fantastic. It's owner said she fed him on Gain Retired Greyhound food. Only about €15 for 15 kilos.
    Having problems sourcing it in Dublin but when I find out pm me and I'll let you know. :)

Saw a dog last week that looked fantastic. It's owner said she fed him on Gain Retired Greyhound food. Only about €15 for 15 kilos.
    Having problems sourcing it in Dublin but when I find out pm me and I'll let you know. :)

The pet shop on the long mile road stock it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Justask wrote: »

The pet shop on the long mile road stock it :)

Wackers? I'll try their shop in Donaghmede. Thank you.

• Advertisement

Wackers? I'll try their shop in Donaghmede.

Im not sure if its called wackers anymore (they changed hands). But yes that shop has it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

if you're near balbriggan there's a place just north of it that sell the best dry dog food in the country.

Brandy and pedigree either in tins of dry are like feeing your dog mcdonalds everyday.

Advertisement