Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaisce Award

• 01-10-2011 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

Ok, not sure if this really qualifies as volunteering, but it has elements of volunteerism.

Just wondering, has anyone on here ever been through the process (especially the Gold award) and how did they find it? Is it worthwhile and does it open up other avenues (i.e. links to other volunteer projects, is it impressive on a CV, etc)?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I've read quite a few CV's with the Gaisce award on it, and to be honest it really doesn't impress. I would be far more impressed with someone who did a certain amount of volunteering or skill development for its own sake rather than doing it to get an award at the end. And first question for those people is always, 'So do you still volunteer at that place?', and the answer is always no.

I would say it's good for people who want to do something but need some direction. As for opening up other avenues - I can't imagine any volunteer setting where a Gaisce award would be needed. They will only be interested in your intent and skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

dory wrote: »
    I've read quite a few CV's with the Gaisce award on it, and to be honest it really doesn't impress. I would be far more impressed with someone who did a certain amount of volunteering or skill development for its own sake rather than doing it to get an award at the end. And first question for those people is always, 'So do you still volunteer at that place?', and the answer is always no.

I would say it's good for people who want to do something but need some direction. As for opening up other avenues - I can't imagine any volunteer setting where a Gaisce award would be needed. They will only be interested in your intent and skills.

Ok, thanks for that! I think I agree with your points. One benefit I see to it however besides merely receiving an award at the end, is the tangible proof that you did in fact volunteer or undertook some activity / accomplishment.

Also, some people might exaggerate their volunteering activities in interviews by stating that they are engaged in activities in their community with the elderly or youth programs, when in fact, they may only be visiting their own elderly relatives or neices / nephews, etc. The Gaisce award is a monitored and structured approach which allows a more reliable record of someone's activities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

BESman wrote: »
    Ok, not sure if this really qualifies as volunteering, but it has elements of volunteerism.

Just wondering, has anyone on here ever been through the process (especially the Gold award) and how did they find it? Is it worthwhile and does it open up other avenues (i.e. links to other volunteer projects, is it impressive on a CV, etc)?

Ive did it but it was more as I happened to be involved in a number of voluntary activities already and there was a President's Award Leader involved in one of them so she insisted some of us should register for Gaisce.

Many of those who I know who got it were involved in the voluntary aid socieites - Red Cross / Order of Malta / Civil Defence (perhaps SJA but I dont know any of them who got it).

Some made careers out of what they got involved in during Gaisce, and others report it being a talking point at interviews. Some employers report being appropriately impressed by it. Others report the bronze and silver suggesting that you only half-finish things - ie you didnt "Go for Gold".

As Dory has said, I think if your only doing it for the award its not worth it... Employers will see through it. On the few occasions I did interviews I ignored any "conscripted" volunteering activities (E.g. St. Vincent De Paul collections in School, First Aid in School, LCVP / CSPE Project stuff). I imagine someone who volunteered for Gaisce then left would get a similar response. If however you do it in order to benefit yourself or develop yourself and getting the award is incidental then it can be quite an experience. I know that one person used their sporting activity in their Gaisce as being an integral part of their weight loss programme. They lost a huge amount of weight, and included the WeightWatchers certificate in their Gaisce portfolio. To me that would seriously impress as its dedication, planning and commitment.

On the other side your Adventure Journey / Residential Project may demonstrate that you can undertake big challenges, work as part of a team, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Missmiddleton

I got the Bronze award and found it to be a complete waste of time. thats just my opinion though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chrissiec

Dory.. I think you have to look at the overall picture. For instance at bronze level, the award takes approximately 1 year, whereas at Gold it takes about 3 years to complete. The levels of commitment increase as your award increases. Research is currently being completed at PhD level in UCD into the impact of the Gaisce Award. In essence a person may be very strong in one area, but weak on others. In fact a person may have no interest for instance in volunteering but heavily involved in sport, yet an interest in volunteering may be spurred on through the completion of the award. The question you have to ask yourself is the softer skills that is required. As one of the replies correctly points out.. some people do the award just to tick a box, and that's fair enough, but the majority of the people who complete their award, in particular at gold level, really do put their heart and soul into their achievement.

If you ever get a chance to attend a gold award ceremony, (for instance if a relative or friend is receiving their award) which is held once a year in Dublin.. then I would suggest you take the opportunity to see what positive impact the award can truely make.

• Advertisement
Advertisement