Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you find the D4 accent funny?

• 01-10-2011 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭dilbert2

Came across a few people earlier who came (I presume) from somewhere within or around the D4 area. I don't know what it is, but I almost have to hold my laughter in when I'm around these people talking. The kind of accent that goes like.

"I porked the cor in the pob cor pork beforrr goo-in in fuhora pwoint of heino"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

I find it annoying.

daddy, credit card. NOW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Cork accent is more annoying IMO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Roysh

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭herosa

Its about as funny as nails going down a blackboard. Still-it didnt do Ross ocarroll kelly any harm did it. He got rich on it.

Cork accent is more annoying IMO

I love the cork accent especially the real strong one.I could listen to it all day.Its very sexy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Gal pal

Offaly accent is way worse..

''Put da mate on da plate and il ate it laaerrr''

By the way none of those Ts are pronounced

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

herosa wrote: »
    Its about as funny as nails going down a blackboard. Still-it didnt do Ross ocarroll kelly any harm did it. He got rich on it.

Maybe Paul Howard did...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

I can't take it seriously, it's not a real accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Why Yaw

A cowk please

I genuinely asked eventually after many "whaaaa", what the hell is cowke "A can of Cowke, Cowke a kowla"

Ohh You mean coke,

Why Yaw,,

elefant wrote: »
    Maybe Paul Howard did...

Haha! Ya know what I meant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I love the cork accent especially the real strong one.I could listen to it all day.Its very sexy.

You're hardly serious are you?
    Are you from Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Its ear piercingly painful.

anyhow. this seems relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Gal pal wrote: »
    Offaly accent is way worse..

''Put da mate on da plate and il ate it laaerrr''

By the way none of those Ts are pronounced

Offaly is funny alright. The E sound becomes A.
    I remember an old gran uncle of mine telling me he went down to Adenderry to buy a bag of mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I think it's actually stupid anyone with that accent is considered D4. ffs. My ma's from D4 and speaks nothing like that. Suppose people love exaggerating though. I wonder what the actual population of D4 is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I find the D4 accent quite sad and pathetic really.

mackg wrote: »
    You're hardly serious are you?
    Are you from Cork?

I am serious(and not from cork) The cork lads just do it for me with that accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Meh,doesn't really bother me cos I don't come into contact with it too often,there are a lot worse accents floating around in this country anyways.

Yeah its more like a statement than a genuine accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I am serious(and not from cork) The cork lads just do it for me with that accent.

+1 On that one- A guy with a Cork accent usually has me swooning before I even look at him.
    I should really move there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Gal pal

Offaly is funny alright. The E sound becomes A.
    I remember an old gran uncle of mine telling me he went down to Adenderry to buy a bag of mate.

Yep most things in Offaly are funny alright, it's like the land that time forgot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

I find the D4 accent quite sad and pathetic really

Why? People from Donegal and Kerry make different sounds when they speak too -are they sad and pathetic as well or is this just an excuse to spout venom at Southside Dubliners?
    Yeah its more like a statement than a genuine accent

Tell us how you think people born and reared in Blackrock or Dun Laoghaire should sound then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

the d4 accent is quite comical i have to say, always sounds as if its put on tbh, which in most cases im sure it is :pac:
    cant beat a really burly scottish accent though, by far my favourite, followed by cyavan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Ah yeah it's gas, especially when they say "goys" or "roysh" or something, cracks me up. One of them could be telling me their dog died and I'd just be thinking "ahahahaha you tosser hahahaha", think it's just because it's not an accent I hear very often though.

But it does sound made up like, with other accents from regions near to each other you can hear the similarities (Cork/Kerry/Limerick for example), the D4 one just sounds so affected, it's like all they're saying is "Oi'm from Doblin but I'm definitely not a knocker, daddy went to Trinity"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I've done some highly scientifilogical research and my findings reveal that everyone who speaks has an accent. I will now feed the data into the Large Accent Collider and see if we can find a reason why it matters a fúck, but expectations are that it won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Jess16 wrote: »
    Why? People from Donegal and Kerry make different sounds when they speak too -are they sad and pathetic as well or is this just an excuse to spout venom at Southside Dubliners?
    LOL spot the D4 :pac:

Tell us how you think people born and reared in Blackrock or Dun Laoghaire should sound then

It is a mixture of "trendy" expressions heard on American films and a deliberate cultivation of what a few generations ago thought was a passable imitation of the home counties accent in England.It reeks of elocution classes and a social climbing/tip your hat to the Brits type of mentality.There is nothing Irish about it and it honestly gives me the willies.

dilbert2 wrote: »
    Came across a few people earlier who came (I presume) from somewhere within or around the D4 area. I don't know what it is, but I almost have to hold my laughter in when I'm around these people talking. The kind of accent that goes like.

"I porked the cor in the pob cor pork beforrr goo-in in fuhora pwoint of heino"
    No I don't find it funny, as Irish accents go it is quite easy to understand compared to say a thick Dublin accent or most country accents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I grew up in Ballsbridge, right in the heart of D4, and i know nobody that speaks like that. Its not a D4 accent at all.

I find that statement but to be quite sad and pathetic really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Murdstone

Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire ain't in Dublin 4

Murdstone wrote: »
    Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire ain't in Dublin 4

Which is why I referred to Southside Dublin. Please read my posts properly if you're going to be pedantic. Also, it might be worth noting that a D4 accent is actually just a tagline for referring to the generic Dublin Southside accent. Dublin 4 is just the area that concentrates what the accent represents
    It reeks of elocution classes and a social climbing/tip your hat to the Brits type of mentality.There is nothing Irish about it and it honestly gives me the willies.

So just because someone isn't bailing silage and drinkin tae they aren't Irish? I'm not even going to go there with the ignorant and tired Brits remark. You could really do with introducing your thoughts to the 21st century

The prevalence of people pronouncing their 'T's' as 'D's' is quite upsetting..

"I was like working on my compuder and like there was this mosquido like todally annoying me.. I was like, what the ACTUAL fcuk?"

GAAAAH!!!

The funniest thing is non Dubs not knowing anything about the accent, it is certainly not a D4 accent at all.
    Its mostly spoken by kids from Cabinteely, Blackrock, Foxrock, Leopardstown, Stillorgan and Dun laoghaire.

I dont know anyone from D4 that has this so called "D4" accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

What's worth noting is that most people from those areas have at most a mild "D4" accent.

The people who have a strong "D4" accent have generally made an effort to sound that way so that other people can recognise where they are from.

Therefore I find it quite reasonable to hold the accent against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

I find the Ballyshannon accent the "most" annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

The funniest thing is non Dubs not knowing anything about the accent, it is certainly not a D4 accent at all.
    Its mostly spoken by kids from Cabinteely, Blackrock, Foxrock, Leopardstown, Stillorgan and Dun laoghaire.

I dont know anyone from D4 that has this so called "D4" accent.

It's hilarious. I mean people from Dublin can distinguish between accents between all other townlands and parishes in the country, and here the culchies come thinking Foxrock is in D4. Heavens above, whatever will they come up with next?

humbert wrote: »
    What's worth noting is that most people from those areas have at most a mild "D4" accent.

The people who have a strong "D4" accent have generally made an effort to sound that way so that other people can recognise where they are from.

Therefore I find it quite reasonable to hold the accent against them.

No, its worth noting they are middle class areas and people living there are likely to have well spoken Dublin accents.

So is being well spoken now classed as having a D4 accent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

David Norris, now thats an annoying twang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

No, its worth noting they are middle class areas and people living there are likely to have well spoken Dublin accents.

Hmm, I'm not convinced we are in a state of disagreement...:confused:

Apparently -because if you aren't 'aytin hang sangwiches fer d'tae' then I mean, who do you think you are?

According to one poster here, speaking correctly makes you a social climber! :) So sick of the narrow-minded attitude in this country

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

The same as everyone else in south dublin. I'll never understand how a language has managed to localise itself within 4 square miles. It's the most put on, forced and fake accent ever developed (along with the sligo town accent which didn't even exist 20 years ago).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Hollister cali/abercrombie cloths are worn by d4 accent folk.That must be another wana be an American trait..

Rawhead wrote: »
    The same as everyone else in south dublin. I'll never understand how a language has managed to localise itself within 4 square miles. It's the most put on, forced and fake accent ever developed (along with the sligo town accent which didn't even exist 20 years ago).

So someone from Ballybrack is going to speak with the same accent as someone from Dalkey?

Which is why I referred to Southside Dublin. Please read my posts properly if you're going to be pedantic. Also, it might be worth noting that a D4 accent is actually just a tagline for referring to the generic Dublin Southside accent. Dublin 4 is just the area that concentrates what the accent represents

So just because someone isn't bailing silage and drinkin tae they aren't Irish? I'm not even going to go there with the ignorant and tired Brits remark. You could really do with introducing your thoughts to the 21st century

Loike will you cop on. Daddy is totally Irish loike, they made him commodore of the yacht club for focks sake. Go back to your bogger houses in Newbridge and eat some silage or something.
    Can't believe those brit remarks, granddaddy didn't die fighting in Flanders for these focking idiots to call me a west brit loike.

So someone from Ballybrack is going to speak with the same accent as someone from Dalkey?

Why the hell not. Someone in one end of Longford will speak the same as someone in the other end, same in Mayo, Wexford etc etc.
    Is foxrock an archipelago of some sorts.
    How ignorant of me to think that people 20 miles apart would have the same accent.

Why the hell not. Someone in one end of Longford will speak the same as someone in the other end, same in Mayo, Wexford etc etc.
    How ignorant of me to think that people 20 miles apart would have the same accent.

What are you talking about, people are a product of their environment. Someone from a working class background is unlikely to speak with the same accent as someone from a middle class background. South Dublin comprises of many different areas, you seem to think they are all the same, you cant just throw a blanket over the whole of south Dublin and say "they should all speak the same"
    You are making that view out to be ignorant?

You do know that's complete shíte, right? People within counties are capable of having different accents and frequently do, accents aren't confined by administrative boundaries. Within cities, you get very different accents separated by very little distance. That applies to every city. Your contention that accents from areas you imagine to be similar and close to each other should be the same is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

I live in Donnybrook
    No one talks like that
    None of my friends talk like that
    Sorry to dissapoint you all.

I live in Donnybrook
    No one talks like that
    None of my friends talk like that
    Sorry to dissapoint you all.

Yeh, roysh! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Your not right in the head my friend, I am from Cork and I left my accent at the border, thank Christ!

• Advertisement
Advertisement