Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you find the D4 accent funny?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

What are you talking about, people are a product of their environment. Someone from a working class background is unlikely to speak with the same accent as someone from a middle class background. South Dublin comprises of many different areas, you seem to think they are all the same, you cant just throw a blanket over the whole of south Dublin and say "they should all speak the same"
    You are making that view out to be ignorant?

95% of people I know from Dublin have a neutral dublin accent irrespective of which side of the liffey they are from. The put on, fake ****e that is spoken by yourself and other products of your environment is just that. You are not unique by any means though as most of your ancestors would have tried to be anything but Irish. The current generation thinks that by speaking like a southern californian teenager they can distance themselves from the rest of the Irish, just as your ancestors tried to align themselves with the British. You are a Paddy and everyone outside of Ireland will always think of you as just that, they aren't aware of local environmental anomolies in south county Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

That twit who is married to Gerald Keane I forget her name but her accent is terrible.
    Rachel Allen the tv chef another one and Glenda Jay Leno chin gilson another product of the d4 accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭herosa

Rawhead wrote: »
    . You are not unique by any means though as most of your ancestors would have tried to be anything but Irish. The current generation thinks that by speaking like a southern californian teenager they can distance themselves from the rest of the Irish, just as your ancestors tried to align themselves with the British

Thats it exactly! Different noises but the same inherited mentality and the same goal in mind."-plus ca change plus c'est la meme chose "basically.

95% of people I know from Dublin have a neutral dublin accent irrespective of which side of the liffey they are from. The put on, fake ****e that is spoken by yourself and other products of your environment is just that. You are not unique by any means though as most of your ancestors would have tried to be anything but Irish. The current generation thinks that by speaking like a southern californian teenager they can distance themselves from the rest of the Irish, just as your ancestors tried to align themselves with the British. You are a Paddy and everyone outside of Ireland will always think of you as just that, they aren't aware of local environmental anomolies in south county Dublin.

I dont have D4 accent you ****ing dope, I never said I did. I have a neutral South Dublin accent not that it makes any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

That's 148% bullshít, about the same as the rest of ther guff in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

I live in Donnybrook
    No one talks like that
    None of my friends talk like that
    Sorry to dissapoint you all.

That's because a D4 accent has nothing to do with being from Donnybrook dear, that point has been made several times now.

Tallaght is on the Southside but the accent sounds more Northside which just proves it's not about where you're from, it's how you're brought up that influences the way you speak.

I dot have D4 accent you ****ing dope, I never said I did. I have a neutral Dublin accent not that it makes any difference.

Thou protests to much me thinksicon12.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

I don't think its funny, just really annoying. Loike, really.

That's 148% bullshít, about the same as the rest of ther guff in your post.

Now why would that be dung. I associate with neither people who put on fake ascents nor dirtbirds from sinkhole estates, so 95% of the people I know from Dublin are solid, middle of the road people. The 5% disparity allows for bumping into the odd gobsh1te at a social gathering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I live in Donnybrook
    No one talks like that
    None of my friends talk like that
    Sorry to dissapoint you all.

It's like a poem.

Anyway, D4 isn't an accent, it's a way of loyfe.

I agree Rawhead. Its the two extremes in Dublin who are pains in the a***s and are to be avoided.I think one group basically has the same ghetto mentality as the other.I work with the public and if there is trouble coming you can be sure its from the D4 mentality crowd or the skangers.95%of dubs speak normally are usually sound and good craic.Beware the groups at both extreme ends of the social spectrum and thats one of the reasons I think people dont like the accent.I think usually(not always)but usually the "owners" of both types of accents are heartsink people ie your heart sinks when you see them coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Why the hell not. Someone in one end of Longford will speak the same as someone in the other end, same in Mayo, Wexford etc etc.
    Is foxrock an archipelago of some sorts.
    How ignorant of me to think that people 20 miles apart would have the same accent.

That is pure tripe to be honest.There is a massive difference in accent between someone from north Sligo and south Sligo.
    Eg.I would pronounce it Sliiigo(north sligo)
    someone from the south would pronounce it Schligo
    Now this is where is gets really strange go to Cliffony(very flat accent)then go 5 miles up the road to Bundoran(Donegal accent)That always warped my mind how two places so close could speak so different its madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

herosa wrote: »
    I work with the public and if there is trouble coming you can be sure its from the D4 mentality crowd or the skangers.I think usually(not always)but usually the "owners" of both types of accents are heartsink people ie your heart sinks when you see them coming.

I'll think you'll find there are assholes from all walks of life. You're just more likely to remember the ones who had a different accent. I'm sure there are plenty of people who's 'heart sinks' when they see you and your kind coming too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Not really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

dilbert2 wrote: »
    Came across a few people earlier who came (I presume) from somewhere within or around the D4 area. I don't know what it is, but I almost have to hold my laughter in when I'm around these people talking. The kind of accent that goes like.

"I porked the cor in the pob cor pork beforrr goo-in in fuhora pwoint of heino"

Most of the time its false. People put it on because they think it makes them better than others. You will notice that they talk really loud with it too so that everybody around can hear them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

when people refer to 'd4' they generally dont mean the actual d4 postal area, but just basically knobheads from south dublin living on daddys money drowned in fake tan and leinster jerseys etc etc you know the drill.
    People from south dublin dont be offended, i fully believe neither you nor your friends fall into said category. but there are many others who do. spend a few years in UCD and you'll see for yourself

Jess16 wrote: »
    I'll think you'll find there are assholes from all walks of life. You're just more likely to remember the ones who had a different accent. I'm sure there are plenty of people who's 'heart sinks' when they see you and your kind coming too

Now now Jess, is your username indicative of your age or the amount of million daddy owes nama. Would us and our kind be the ones not clad in uggs, abercrombie and glowing like a radioactive mandarin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 angelant

well i'm from the west but lived and studied in Dublin, but I think now I was a bit green when I first went up there, I was on as placement in a hospital there was a lot of Doctors and Nurses around a desk discussing things, one of the other students asked me something he didn't understand and was under pressure to get it right.

He then thanked me, so being polite I asked his what part of England are you from?
    I was a bit confused when he said he wasn't from England, and had never been,
    So I said well your family must be English, how did you end up with an English accent? I am so embarrassed now when I think about it as everyone around the desk was listing to us.
    I remember thinking it might have something do with Irish History as I couldn't understand how a guy from Dublin born and reared ended up with an English Accent ( I am a very logical person) So I thought it was to do with the pale around Dublin years ago being prodestant and they wanted to be part of English not Ireland. Can't believe I was so green back then.

Have to say i love a man with a cork accent , cork boy

glowing like a radioactive mandarin?

Thats a funny expression.Must remember that one!

The cork lads must love this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rachel Allen is a prime example of a put-on D4 accent,she uses "botter" in her cooking,just listen as she pronounces the ingredients.

She was interviewed on radio today and the accent was hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Thats not a D4 accent its something else entirely...........oh the HORROR

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

dilbert2 wrote: »
    Came across a few people earlier who came (I presume) from somewhere within or around the D4 area. I don't know what it is, but I almost have to hold my laughter in when I'm around these people talking. The kind of accent that goes like.

"I porked the cor in the pob cor pork beforrr goo-in in fuhora pwoint of heino"

Personally wouldn't assume it to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

more annoying than funny, especially the tit who does the mc donalds ads on tv

herosa wrote: »
    I love the cork accent especially the real strong one.I could listen to it all day.Its very sexy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Well the sad fact is, if two people with same qualifications and experience go for an interview for the same job;

1st goes in; "Hoy, loike thank yew sew moch for take the toyme to meet me, I think yew'll foynd oym the purrrfect condeedate for this position"

2nd goes in; "stooooooreey man, fayor play fer de intorviw, wha. Oy'd be blaydin rappeh for dis jab so I wud."

..we all know who is gonna get the job

Well the sad fact is, if two people with same qualifications and experience go for an interview for the same job;

1st goes in; "Hoy, loike thank yew sew moch for take the toyme to meet me, I think yew'll foynd oym the purrrfect condeedate for this position"

2nd goes in; "stooooooreey man, fayor play fer de intorviw, wha. Oy'd be blaydin rappeh for dis jab so I wud."

not if its for in a chipper tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

The person with some basic knowledge of vocabulary, grammar and polite conversation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

It's an absolutely terrible accent and I cringe when I hear it. On a recent holiday I was shocked by the amount if Irish people that were mistaken for American. :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Is this the bi-annual D4 accent thread? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

py2006 wrote: »
    Most of the time its false. People put it on because they think it makes them better than others. You will notice that they talk really loud with it too so that everybody around can hear them.

The same with the skanger accent. I think it might even be worse on the south side inner city. But it's completely exaggerated to sound "harder". As in "don't mess with me" hard.

I actually find the skanger accent much funner than the D4 accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I hear it sometimes at work

"oh moy god i broke moi oiphone last night when I was slumming it on the northsoide, my doddy wont buy me a new one since all our assets were seized in that whole bonk thing"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There was a stop smoking advert on RTE last year ( I think ) that had the best example of a D4 accent, I cant find it now if anyone know how to find and post it you would see what I mean. It had a goy talking about using patche to stop smoking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

The strongest most ridiculous "D4" accent I ever heard was on a girl from Cork that I met in Australia once. Eau my gawd I seau want to geau and visit blah blah blah blah...
    So it's not unique to Dubbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    The strongest most ridiculous "D4" accent I ever heard was on a girl from Cork that I met in Australia once. Eau my gawd I seau want to geau and visit blah blah blah blah...
    So it's not unique to Dubbers.

Indeed. It's not unique to anywhere really - it's just a state of mind. I know girls born bred and buttered in the hills outside Kilkenny that speak with what people refer to a D4 accent.

It's quare fare funny hearing them slip back into the flat Kilkenny accent after a few beers though.

Many of them grow out of it by the time they reach 30ish. Fkin eejits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its spread across the country like a disease

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gav25

D4 accent is horrible, almost sounds american. has anyone ever watched that fyi show on tv3 or 3e. one of the girls cassie i think she is called who presents part of it is obviously irish but puts on this american accent when pronouncing some words. sort that out!
    louth accent is the worst by far though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Can't say I've ever noticed it, what annoys me is the Dubs who make a big deal out of it thinking they're incredibly clever to imitate them in text. Nobody cares about your sub-cultures to that extent, they really don't.

As a Munster rugby fan is a personal peeve to me whenever chatting to some Dublin nob and they start spewing these D4-isms as some sort of involuntary reaction to the mention of the word "Rugby". Not only is it cringe-worthy but its hugely ignorant to acknowledge that its only your messed up city where rugby participation is class based.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

What annoys me more than that is questioning intonation in non questionsing sentences.

Like when people talk like this? About accents? Making statements? Instead of asking questions?

R-Tardz

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Downlinz wrote: »
    Can't say I've ever noticed it, what annoys me is the Dubs who make a big deal out of it thinking they're incredibly clever to imitate them in text. Nobody cares about your sub-cultures to that extent, they really don't.

As a Munster rugby fan is a personal peeve to me whenever chatting to some Dublin nob and they start spewing these D4-isms as some sort of involuntary reaction to the mention of the word "Rugby". Not only is it cringe-worthy but its hugely ignorant to acknowledge that its only your messed up city where rugby participation is class based.

Yeah only in Dublin rugby participation is class based? Not in Cork at all no? Or none of the players come from private schools outside of Dublin?
    Get a grip man. I suppose you're salt of the earth working class Limerick then are you?
    How do you identify with "Munster" anyway? It's a collection of counties, hardly something to be proud of is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Not so much funny as making me want to have my ears amputated.

I loved living in Dublin, but the sound of that particular phenomenon as I'd approach Grafton Street was a serious drawback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

I wouldn't even call it a southside accent at this stage. I'm working on the northside and every second person I meet in this area is sporting it.

I reckon it started from the fumes coming from the dual carriageway from donnybrook to bray, these poor (rich) souls were the first to be infected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

People talking about 'twidder', haha, they think they sound American or like Bono doing his Jack Nicholson impersonation. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭veloc123

Cork accent sounds like Tinkers trying to speak French....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Sky King wrote: »
    What annoys me more than that is questioning intonation in non questionsing sentences.

Like when people talk like this? About accents? Making statements? Instead of asking questions?

R-Tardz

That's the moronic interrogative - common to Cork and Australia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

zerks wrote: »
    Rachel Allen is a prime example of a put-on D4 accent,she uses "botter" in her cooking,just listen as she pronounces the ingredients.

She was interviewed on radio today and the accent was hilarious.

She seems to be basing her entire personality/voice on Nigella Lawson.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

The same as everyone else in south dublin. I'll never understand how a language has managed to localise itself within 4 square miles. It's the most put on, forced and fake accent ever developed (along with the sligo town accent which didn't even exist 20 years ago).

As the owner of one of the strongest Sligo Town accents I can assure you that my Granfadder, 98-year-old Granfadder, has the exact same accent.

I think peoples issue with the "D4 accent" is that it is seen as being pretty fake and often intwined with a little social climbing. It's home counties English meets 'Friends' with a smattering of 90210

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

the d4 accent developed in the early 80s when southside dublin kids developed an accent , known as the dort accent. the d4 accent became something of a 'status symbol' when the celtic tiger kicked when people figured if they spoke the d4 way then there somewhat important loike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

What's the big deal?

You've got Cork accents, Kerry accents, Wexford accents, Galway accents, Mayo accents, Donegal accents, Carlow accents, Limerick accents, etc. It's just another accent no matter how it originated. People really need to grow up and leave other people to their own.

Apart from dirty scroates of course - they should all be neutralised! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement