Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Occupy Wall Street' protests

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭LaFlammeRouge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Is anyone following this story? There seems to be very little talk about it round these parts.

About 750 people have been arrested over the last fortnight and the protests are gaining momentum and starting to happen all over the US.

Some unions and politicians have got behind the protests too.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/09/occupy-wall-street/100159/

Don't worry, the US government will crush these fools... with their fully ARMED & OPERATIONAL Battle Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭herosa

Free the workers!! Thats what we needed to be doing a year ago In Ireland but it doesnt seem to be in our make up except in the north maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Don't worry, the US government will crush these fools... with their fully ARMED & OPERATIONAL Battle Station.

Mubarak thought he could do the same when his people started to revolt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Fairly shocking that pepper spray bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Mubarak thought he could do the same when his people started to revolt.

Mubarak was a minnow, & his time had come...

Here, we're talking Darth Obama & his (yet to be revealed) Master.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Disgusting behaviour by the NYPD. Police brutality on behalf of Goldman Sachs & Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Wheres the equivalent of Wall Street that we could all protest at in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

cash for gold shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Is anyone following this story? There seems to be very little talk about it round these parts.

Got a bit of coverage on Press TV today.

Yup I know the channel in question is an Iranian propaganda mouthpiece but I find it best to get my propaganda from diverse sources.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

I love the way the guy in the video makes it sound like he doesnt want to name the city where it happened, but the link article says the 'wall st protests' :pac:

that'll be NYC then you tit :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

RATM wrote: »
    Disgusting behaviour by the NYPD. Police brutality on behalf of Goldman Sachs & Co.

Speaking of which

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The Royal Rumble of Ringsend

IFSC but that wont help you much tbh
    best protest you can make is to NEVER vote Fina Fail
    the current government is cleaning up the mess Fine Fail have made of the country and in doing so will be getting unpopular, I just hope for everyones sake people remember who got us into the mess and not who made the austerity measures needed to save the country from its successors ass raping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

*adopts Paul McCartney voice "it's been done"*

Saila wrote: »
    [..]
    I just hope for everyones sake people remember who got us into the mess

There's no denying that FF played their part, but you can't place 100% of the blame on them. They didn't cause the problem which is now affecting the global economy. The protests in the US are against, amongst other stuff; the bailing out of banks and reluctance of the government to punish those who allowed for things to get so bad, while passing the cost of it onto ordinary citizens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've posted a couple vids about this in Internet vids thread.
    Could be worth repeat here.

What happens when you challenge the money machine?
    Police arrest you

Yahoo blocks your mails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Agreed. Wall Street is quite safe from this pitiful little band. An entire legion of the the US governments best troops awaits them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

There's no denying that FF played their part, but you can't place 100% of the blame on them. They didn't cause the problem which is now affecting the global economy.

I was just waiting for a mention of Lehmans there, seing as I read the rest of that in bertie aherns voice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

biko wrote: »
    Yahoo blocks your mails

If people used Yahoo this would be rather worrying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

the bailing out of banks and reluctance of the government to punish those who allowed for things to get so bad, while passing the cost of it onto ordinary citizens.

This sounds very familiar, where have I seen this before????

There's no denying that FF played their part, but you can't place 100% of the blame on them. They didn't cause the problem which is now affecting the global economy. The protests in the US are against, amongst other stuff; the bailing out of banks and reluctance of the government to punish those who allowed for things to get so bad, while passing the cost of it onto ordinary citizens.

like the way FF issued a guarantee for the banks debts therefore transferring the banks private debt of 100bn+ to the taxpayer, that is a FACT the rest is arguable

like the way FF issued a guarantee for the banks debts therefore transferring the banks private debt of 100bn+ to the taxpayer, that is a FACT the rest is arguable

Sure it's a fact.. and FG supported and voted in favour of the bank guarantees at the time. Do you honestly believe that things would have played out much differently had they been in power at the time? I never voted for FF in my life, but you're in denial if you think that they caused 100% of the problems we now face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

Hah, anybody who doubts what's what just has to look at the money train in Ireland, nation of the cock-up. Nothing cocked-up about how the money is collected from the banks daily- six to eight armed squaddies, locked and loaded. Do not mess with the money. You are not a citizen, you are a tax-payer, and therein lies our value, or lack there-of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

There's no denying that FF played their part, but you can't place 100% of the blame on them.

You're right.

The morons who voted for them while knowing they were corrupt to the hilt deserve a lot of the blame too.

Sure it's a fact.. and FG supported and voted in favour of the bank guarantees at the time. Do you honestly believe that things would have played out much differently had they been in power at the time? I never voted for FF in my life, but you're in denial if you think that they caused 100% of the problems we now face.

em FG didnt know about the bank gurantee, Lenihan [FF] was visited by the chairmen of the Irish banks one night asked railroaded for a guarantee blank cheque, he said there you go and rest is history ;)

there was no 'vote' about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Live feed of the march with chat !

http://www.livestream.com/globalrevolution

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

There are literally tens of people there :eek:

The police look utterly disinterested as well. Bunch of first-world spoiled brats whinging about "coporate greed" while Tweeting from their iPhones.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

There are literally tens of people there :eek:

The police look utterly disinterested as well. Bunch of first-world spoiled brats whinging about "coporate greed" while Tweeting from their iPhones.

Seems to be more than just "tens":

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1002/breaking26.html

Police reopened the Brooklyn Bridge last night after more than 700 anti-Wall Street protesters were arrested for blocking traffic lanes and attempting an unauthorised march across the span.

The arrests took place when a large group of marchers, participating in a second week of protests by the Occupy Wall Street movement, broke off from others on the bridge's pedestrian walkway and headed across the Brooklyn-bound lanes.

"Over 700 summonses and desk appearance tickets have been issued in connection with a demonstration on the Brooklyn Bridge late this afternoon after multiple warnings by police were given to protesters to stay on the pedestrian walkway, and that if they took roadway they would be arrested," a police spokesman said.

"Some complied and took the walkway without being arrested. Others proceeded on the Brooklyn-bound vehicular roadway and were. The bridge was re-opened to traffic at 8.05pm last night.

Most of those who were arrested were taken into custody off the bridge, issued summonses and released. Witnesses described a chaotic scene on the famous suspension bridge as a sea of police officers surrounded the protesters using orange mesh netting.

Some protesters tried to get away as officers started handcuffing members of the group. Dozens of protesters were seen handcuffed and sitting on the span as three buses were called in to take them away, witnesses and organisers said.

The march started about 3.30pm from the protesters' camp in Zuccotti Park in downtown Manhattan near the former World Trade Center. Members of the group have vowed to stay at the park through the winter.

In addition to what they view as excessive force and unfair treatment of minorities, including Muslims, the movement is also protesting against home foreclosures, high unemployment and the 2008 bailouts.

Filmmaker Michael Moore and actress Susan Sarandon have stopped by the protesters' camp, which is plastered with posters with anti-Wall Street slogans and has a kitchen and library, to offer their support.

On Friday evening, more than 1,000 demonstrators, including representatives of labor organisations, held a peaceful march to police headquarters a few blocks north of City Hall to protest what they said was a heavy-handed police response the previous week. No arrests were reported.

A week ago, police arrested about 80 members of Occupy Wall Street near the Union Square shopping district as the marchers swarmed onto oncoming traffic.

A police commander doused a handful of women with pepper spray in an incident captured on video and spread via the Internet, galvanising the loosely organized protest movement.

The group has gained support among some union members. The United Federation of Teachers and the Transport Workers Union Local 100, which has 38,000 members, are among those pledging solidarity.

The unions could provide important organisational and financial support for the largely leaderless movement.

Similar protests are sprouting in other cities, including Boston, Chicago and San Francisco.

• Advertisement

As I said in a previous thread, no one is going to take these protests seriously until the general public get involved. At the moment it's mainly "the usual suspects" and the police have no respect for them at all.

Thousands of middle aged shopkeepers, housewives etc protesting, then the governments will situp and take notice.

It is up to the governments to take control of the economic mess from the banksers, not the peoples.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

As I said in a previous thread, no one is going to take these protests seriously until the general public get involved. At the moment it's mainly "the usual suspects" and the police have no respect for them at all.

Thousands of middle aged shopkeepers, housewives etc protesting, then the governments will situp and take notice.

It is up to the governments to take control of the economic mess from the banksers, not the peoples.

I agree with most of your post. On the last point however, in many cases it isn't in the interests of Government to upset the Wall Street elite. It's said that the 400 wealthiest Americans have roughly the same wealth as the other 300 million. It's these people that the Government will be looking to fund their next election campaign. American politics as still too easily corruptible. It's completely ridiculous that tax payers have to bailout investment banks and speculators that offer no tangible benefit to the society in which they live.

I agree with most of your post. On the last point however, in many cases it isn't in the interests of Government to upset the Wall Street elite. It's said that the 400 wealthiest Americans have roughly the same wealth as the other 300 million. It's these people that the Government will be looking to fund their next election campaign. American politics as still too easily corruptible. It's completely ridiculous that tax payers have to bailout investment banks and speculators that offer no tangible benefit to the society in which they live.

That's the sad truth of it all! The US government would need to convince these people that their dollars will soon be worthless unless they change the banking system that they own.

Nothing like the threat of being poor to make rich people take action.

dolanbaker wrote: »

This will never happen because these types of people are too busy getting on with their lives.

These protests are always attended by the usual suspects because nobody else gives a ****. I was reading a thread about it on the Something Awful forums and there were people who had attended the protests in various cities that said they were tiny and the police and protestors were organising beforehand who was "willing" to be arrested.

It's just routine background noise style stuff now. These types will protest about pretty much anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

biko wrote: »
    I've posted a couple vids about this in Internet vids thread.
    Could be worth repeat here.

What happens when you challenge the money machine?
    Police arrest you

Yahoo blocks your mails

Oh look, there go your first amendment rights in the back of a paddy wagon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Noone takes these protests seriously because Wall Street is a residential area nowadays :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

This will never happen because these types of people are too busy getting on with their lives.

Hundreds of UA pilots were out protesting a few days ago.. stupid hippies.. probably never had a job

Hundreds of UA pilots were out protesting a few days ago.. stupid hippies.. probably never had a job

That just looks like a union protest. Any more credible source than Facebook to prove it had anything to do with Occupy Wall St?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

*adopts George Harrison voice "it's been done"*

FYP

Workers of the World unite! Oh wait-

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Dead Kennedys

The following is a party political broadcast on behalf of Fine Gael.

the current government is cleaning up the mess Fine Fail have made of the country and in doing so will be getting unpopular, I just hope for everyones sake people remember who got us into the mess and not who made the austerity measures needed to save the country from its successors ass raping

I will agree with you on never voting FF but I lol'd at the rest, the only mess FG are cleaning up is for their EU Bank masters at our expense. Their austerity packages are not to save this country, remember that next time you're voting FG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

^^^^^ Naive statement if I have ever seen one :p. Unfortunately it is not all black and white as you see it but if it makes you feel better to believe it work away, but would imagine the current daily **** ups by the "current" government would be starting to imply that it is much of a muchness who is in government in Ireland.

The financial powers have been playing us for fools for years about time someone started protesting IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That's what the y said about the Stasi and the DDR in the summer of '89...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

That's the sad truth of it all! The US government would need to convince these people that their dollars will soon be worthless unless they change the banking system that they own.

Nothing like the threat of being poor to make rich people take action.

That sounds like what the Tea Party want.

Less government intervention more personal responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I will agree with you on never voting FF but I lol'd at the rest, the only mess FG are cleaning up is for their EU Bank masters at our expense. Their austerity packages are not to save this country, remember that next time you're voting FG.

:confused:

That sounds like what the Tea Party want.

Less government intervention more personal responsibility.

I'm referring to the government persuading the bankers to change, not the people!

If they don't change, the next collapse of the banks may bee too big to fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

There are literally tens of people there .

2000 according to some (conservative) sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Check out the blonde 30 seconds in, wish all hippies looked like her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

these people are just lazy people playing the victim card because they did nothing with their lives , the thing about lefty socialists is "give all the tax money to people who dont want to work" thats fine "give all the tax money to a company thats struggling" boooooo , they only like socialism when it suits them , Ive never met a successful socialist, it seems to be the reserve of the dregs of society
    Khannie wrote: »
    Fairly shocking that pepper spray bit.
    entirely deserved , the police are using non violent methods to control these protesters who consistently refuse to follow instruction, these people have no right to terrorise people coming to and from work or the police, absolute scumbags

Too bad she's not into stimulus packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

yeah its just a pity she has the knowledge in economics of a magpie , take take take

00:30
    00:52
    01:00
    01:24

these are the people that cause problems in the world , how are people like this allowed to exist

k.p.h wrote: »
    ^^^^^ Naive statement if I have ever seen one :p. Unfortunately it is not all black and white as you see it but if it makes you feel better to believe it work away, but would imagine the current daily **** ups by the "current" government would be starting to imply that it is much of a muchness who is in government in Ireland.

yes, but thats because as some of us know it was FF who created the conditions for an economical cluster fcuk in Ireland, and someone else who came out with the but FG voted for the bailout too doesnt realise that it was hobsons choice at that point. FF made a middle of the night decision, they told the dail the next day and they 'voted' on a decision that was already made, the vote was basically politics and saying no for the sake of it when they knew full well there was no other choice.

I dont do essays especially in AH, there will always be some fcuk witt with a political agenda to shout me down here, so if it sounds naieve to you then, well thats your opinion :p

fyi, FF and FG are from the same roots btw

• Advertisement
Advertisement