Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

simmental x sale

• 01-10-2011 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭

any one at the sale of the incalf simmental x's today in ballymote ? they were making some money you'd hardly get one for less than 2000. most were making round 2500 mark and more :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

polod wrote: »
    any one at the sale of the incalf simmental x's today in ballymote ? they were making some money you'd hardly get one for less than 2000. most were making round 2500 mark and more :eek:

What trade were the weanling making

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Donegal09

I was at it... Prices were high but there was some great quality there, there were 6/7 month old weanlings going for 12 and 1300 !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Donegal09 wrote: »
    I was at it... Prices were high but there was some great quality there, there were 6/7 month old weanlings going for 12 and 1300 !!

Enough to make a man chance a few Sim straws on the cows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭limo_100

Bizzum wrote: »
    Enough to make a man chance a few Sim straws on the cows!

i did this year hopefully i get a few heifers.. have 1sim maiden heifer she calved last spring a serious ch heifer calf so it got me thinking i need more cows that can feed calves.. use is4 great bull can still b got

limo_100 wrote: »
    i did this year hopefully i get a few heifers.. have 1sim maiden heifer she calved last spring a serious ch heifer calf so it got me thinking i need more cows that can feed calves.. use is4 great bull can still b got

I've been doing the same this couple of year, using KFY Newry, and I think I've VIO on a cow this year too.
    That's the real beauty of using some AI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I used Hillcrest King (HKG) and Seepa Tee Jay (IS4). IS4 isnt as beefy as HKG but produces lovely quiet cattle, heifers are very feminine too.
    Hard to get to a stage where you would be selling a lot of breeding heifers unless you go with all simmental straws. You then have to take a bit of a hit with the bulls, as they dont sell as well as the char or lims.

Hillcrest Joan - Dam of IS4

hillcrest%20joan%20copy.jpg

pakalasa wrote: »
    I used Hillcrest King (HKG) and Seepa Tee Jay (IS4). IS4 isnt as beefy as HKG but produces lovely quiet cattle, heifers are very feminine too.
    Hard to get to a stage where you would be selling a lot of breeding heifers unless you go with all simmental straws. You then have to take a bit of a hit with the bulls, as they dont sell as well as the char or lims.

Hillcrest Joan - Dam of IS4

hillcrest%20joan%20copy.jpg

she was all-ireland champion several times we could all do with a few cows like her. nut for the purpose of getting good heifers is4 is better but our heifer is breed of hkg and she is gona make a great cow. that new bull curaheen apostle like one for the future i was planning on using him on heifers this xmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

If you were going to use APZ I'd use him on cows with a bit of length. he's a little butty but has savage muscle

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jimmy2pens

polod wrote: »

I was there, some nice incalf heifers sold between 1500-2000,
    I got one for 1700, weanlings were mad money, but great if ya were selling.
    some great heifers there.

If you were going to use APZ I'd use him on cows with a bit of length. he's a little butty but has savage muscle

are you planning on using him? hes a classy looking bull.

• Advertisement

Bogman,
    How do you know this? Have you calves from him on the ground?
    He's a new bull, isn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

So is it possible to get AZP through Dovea, I wonder.

From their catalogue, Dovea always seem to have better Simmentals than NCBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

From their catalogue, Dovea always seem to have better Simmentals than NCBC.

It seems you are correct. I used ROE from Dovea on three char cross heifers this year. Very good calving difficulty figures.

I have two cows just calved, that I plan giving DRU to. Looks a lovely bull, with top class milk and fertility numbers.
    [FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Derrough_Samuel.jpg[/SIZE][/FONT]

Tora Bora wrote: »
    So is it possible to get AZP through Dovea, I wonder.

Who is AZP? I can't find him?

I've bought straws off several AI stations/sellers over the years and never had a problem getting them transferred to my local AI man.

I've been doing the same this couple of year, using KFY Newry, and I think I've VIO on a cow this year too.
    That's the real beauty of using some AI.

I see I made a mistake here. VIO is a CH bull (Vern Indigo). The Simm bull I meant is CQA (Curaheen Vio).:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Bogman,
    How do you know this? Have you calves from him on the ground?
    He's a new bull, isn't he?

No I've seen the bull in the flesh. He has no calves on the ground yet

I've seen the bull in the flesh.

Great position to be in!
    I miss the open days in Enfield, when the bull parade was outside.
    You get a far different perspective on a bull when you see him in the flesh as opposed to a photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Great position to be in!
    I miss the open days in Enfield, when the bull parade was outside.
    You get a far different perspective on a bull when you see him in the flesh as opposed to a photo.

i think dovea do an open day

i think dovea do an open day

They sure do. I was never at one though. I wonder for biosecurity reasons are you allowed walk through them or is it a closed viewing like the last one I went to in Enfield?

• Advertisement

This is an IS4 heifer I have, born March 2010. Hopefully she is in calf to FL22.

This is an IS4 heifer I have, born March 2010. Hopefully she is in calf to FL22.

Lovely heifer. Lim dam?

Lovely heifer. Lim dam?
    Dam - She's a yellow charolais, though her card says she is from a Lim bull. I bought her in so don't know. She's my best cow though ,so I'm hoping her heifer is as good.

They sure do. I was never at one though. I wonder for biosecurity reasons are you allowed walk through them or is it a closed viewing like the last one I went to in Enfield?

dont know either Bizzum, would be interesting to see the bulls, must keep an eye out for open day next year

nice one indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I wouldn't know much about simmentals, but she looks a nice one. Good level top.

An uncle of mine is into them. He bought 2 heifers in ballymote. For some reason he likes heifers to have the red circles around the eyes.

Advertisement