Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long should furniture last?

Options
  • 01-10-2011 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I bought a sofa from Arramount 3 years ago and the whole thing is basically starting to fall apart. The seats are out of shape and discoloured, the arm of the chair has broken and threads are coming loose on the stitching! Now we do not abuse our furniture and this is not even the room we spend most of our time in. My question is shouldn't furniture last longer than this? Given that I cant contact Arramount is there anything I can do? (I spent 1800 euro on this)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

They've gone bust. - I'd love to give you something positive, but there's absolutely nothing you can do at this stage except call in an upholstery repairer to have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Even if they were still in business they would wonder why you waited until "the seats are out of shape and discoloured, the arm of the chair has broken and threads are coming loose on the stitching" all at once. You should have seen about it with the first fault and not go with a litany 3 years on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

It depends really on the kind of wear and tear it has experienced, do you have children? might they jump on it when you are not there? do you have a pet?
    Im not saying it is you, but I can see after three years, serous wear would have a serious affect.

On the other hand, I bought a suite 2 years ago and it is in ok condition, even good, one has hardly been sat on so thats like new.

Think I looked in Arramount, but looked in a few places, If its the place I think I was in I didnt like the look of the stuff (cheap) nor cost plus, thought some ok, but a lot cheap too (think they are gone also?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cusker

Well the usable life of furniture will depend on how heavy you use them. Well that includes the frequency and amount of force you exert when using them.

I have this bed frame made of really good wood with me for about 7 years now and it was even a hand me down from my parents. It is one of those things that they made better a long time ago. Though with commercialization, we have to accept that they are not going to provide the sturdiest of stuff so that people will purchase new ones again.

7 years for a bed frame is nothing. I have 4 ranging from 15 years to 27 years. A 3 piece suite is still perfect after 22 years of daily use. It depends on the quality and how it's treated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 soco123

7 years for a bed frame is nothing. I have 4 ranging from 15 years to 27 years. A 3 piece suite is still perfect after 22 years of daily use. It depends on the quality and how it's treated.
    Yes, a bed of good quality and little wear and tear probably would last that long if it wasnt getting much "use" :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Same goes for the couch of 22 years I'm sure :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

soco123 You can make a point without resorting to smart comments.

dudara

soco123 wrote: »
    Yes, a bed of good quality and little wear and tear probably would last that long if it wasnt getting much "use" :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Same goes for the couch of 22 years I'm sure :rolleyes:
    :rolleyes:
    3 growing kids and the sofa in the main living room - got plenty of wear and tear but good quality lasts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

:rolleyes:
    3 growing kids and the sofa in the main living room - got plenty of wear and tear but good quality lasts!

Try 7 raucous kids, numerous overnight friends using it as spare bed, 30+ years and STILL in use. (the 2 armchairs - sofa given away a few years ago)

Made entirely of foam - no wood (and used as a trampoline when the parents were not looking) - cost the auld fella a fortune in 1980, but as you say, quality lasts.

the 2 arm chairs are now in brother's house (again used as trampoline / spare bed etc) and will probably last another 20+ years.

Advertisement