Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deliberately running over cat?

• 01-10-2011 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭

I see from a post on the Lost & Found section a poster had to rescue a cat from being deliberately killed on the road.
    What kind of person would deliberately kill an animal? Do they get some sort of thrill in their tiny minds?
    I would try and avoid any animal if possible, if it was safe to do so.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Some people are sick.

But...people allowing their cats to roam and not cat proofing their garden are putting their cats lives at risk..and then they wonder and get all upset if something happens to the cat.. I have no sympathy for these types of people but I do have sympathy of course for the poor cats and dogs left to roam :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Some people are sick.

But...people allowing their cats to roam and not cat proofing their garden are putting their cats lives at risk..and then they wonder and get all upset if something happens to the cat.. I have no sympathy for these types of people but I do have sympathy of course for the poor cats and dogs left to roam :-(

I was hoping people would not use this to voice their opinions about roaming cats.

I making a statement about all animals and some peoples' enjoyment in deliberately killing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Not everyone has experienced a human-animal bond, and many, many people don't understand it. I think this particular incident is probably a case of 'me big hard man, you defenceless animal, let me demonstrate my superiority by killing you in gutless manner that requires no skill or effort on my part whatsoever'. No different to swatting a fly in the eyes of the person that did it.

Don't forget, at the end of the day people are animals too and you can expect them to behave as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

i always stop to let things cross if i can, iv hit a cat or 2 and a few rabbits when it wasn't safe but i would try. They Wont always die straight away ether so if you hit something go back and put it out of its misery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Some people see roaming cats as vermin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

some people are disgusting and are vermin themselves.

kylith wrote: »
    Some people see roaming cats as vermin.
    <br />
    <br />
    they are in alot of cases

<br />
    <br />
    they are in alot of cases

I can't disagree with you.

Was watching some pet problems show during the week and was disgusted to see the vet recommend letting a cat roam, not in a pen or a cat proof garden, but free range. Luckily the owner kept a close eye that it didn't leave her garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

I think this particular incident is probably a case of 'me big hard man, you defenceless animal, let me demonstrate my superiority by killing you in gutless manner that requires no skill or effort on my part whatsoever'.

Or woman, poster didnt say what gender the driver was ;)

I see some posters are still trying to force their opinions about cats roaming - we all have different opinions - but this is not why I originally posted.

I can't understand how anyone can deliberately aim to kill an animal just for the sake of it. What kind of person does this?

• Advertisement

Mo60 wrote: »
    I see some posters are still trying to force their opinions about cats roaming - we all have different opinions - but this is not why I originally posted.

Sorry, but people are stating their opinion because its very relevant, I can't answer your question any better than I have done because I don't know why.

I don't see a person that would deliberately run over an animal any differently than a person who would deliberately allow their pet get run over by letting it play on a road - why do some people do this? Why do some people insist on breeding horrific conditions into puppies through pure lack of concern of the health of their dogs and their offspring? Why do other people support these people by buying dogs from them?

It's all much of a muchness. Ask the people who are doing these things, although its unlikely you'll get much by way of a logical explanation from them. I don't swat flies either by the way, I just clean my house to discourage them from sticking around, so . . . . why do people swat flies?

The only answer I can think of to all of the above is because the human race in general considers itself a superior species, and can therefore do what it likes.

I don't see a person that would deliberately run over an animal any differently than a person who would deliberately allow their pet get run over by letting it play on a road - why do some people do this?

Your reasoning is astounding.

Your reasoning is astounding.

I don't see why, I don't have to worry about the safety of my cat because he doesn't go outside on his own, he's not particularly dying about going out accompanied either so I will never be in the situation where he suddenly disappears some day and I have to sit pondering on the question of what became of him. If he gets more interested in being outside as he gets older then he'll have a secure enclosed area to do that, not much point doing it at the minute when he appears to not want to be outside ever.

I find the fact that so many cat owners themselves see them as a lower life form and not worth keeping safe from harm quite astounding. Don't you? I was under the impression that you liked cats :confused:

My neighbour ran over his own dog yesterday, because it saw his van coming and ran into the road to greet him, are you really suggesting that this was anything other that complete and utter idiocy on his part? The dog was his 10 year old's best friend, he seems to think he has taught her a valuable lesson, he has - he's taught her that her father is a complete and utter waste of space who doesn't give a toss that he's broken her heart but you know what? - 'it's just a stupid dog, he can get her another one'.

I don't see why, I don't have to worry about the safety of my cat because he doesn't go outside on his own, he's not particularly dying about going out accompanied either so I will never be in the situation where he suddenly disappears some day and I have to sit pondering on the question of what became of him. If he gets more interested in being outside as he gets older then he'll have a secure enclosed area to do that, not much point doing it at the minute when he appears to not want to be outside ever.

I find the fact that so many cat owners themselves see them as a lower life form and not worth keeping safe from harm quite astounding. Don't you? I was under the impression that you liked cats :confused:

My neighbour ran over his own dog yesterday, because it saw his van coming and ran into the road to greet him, are you really suggesting that this was anything other that complete and utter idiocy on his part? The dog was his 10 year old's best friend, he seems to think he has taught her a valuable lesson, he has - he's taught her that her father is a complete and utter waste of space who doesn't give a toss that he's broken her heart but you know what? - 'it's just a stupid dog, he can get her another one'.

Your post is completely irrelevant to my original post - ie. the deliberate killing of any animal on the road.

As for your vindictiveness against myself, and many cat owners who do not agree with your point of view, are you seriously accusing us all of thinking of them as a lower life form.

I like cats and do not need your sarcastic comments.

Your post is completely irrelevant to my original post - ie. the deliberate killing of any animal on the road.

As for your vindictiveness against myself, and many cat owners who do not agree with your point of view, are you seriously accusing us all of thinking of them as a lower life form.

I like cats and do not need your sarcastic comments.

My post was in no way meant to be vindictive, sarcastic or anything like it. You questioned my logic so I explained it fully for you. You are quite entitled to a different opinion. I'd like to hear it, and your reasoning behind it because I have never heard any sort of reasoning of why its acceptable to do any of the things I used by way of example in my post above. If there are valid reasons for any of them I will be more than happy to accept them. I'll answer the question in your original post one last time.

Why do people deliberately kill animals on the road? - basic human nature, the instincts ingrained in some people from being at the top of the food chain, lack of intelligence; cop on; compassion; common sense or just because they can - these are only suggestions, I've never felt compelled to deliberately run over an animal so I don't know for sure though.

I don't think any people post here who do intentionally run over animals so that might be as good an answer as you might get I'm afraid.

My post was in no way meant to be vindictive, sarcastic or anything like it. You questioned my logic so I explained it fully for you. You are quite entitled to a different opinion. I'd like to hear it, and your reasoning behind it because I have never heard any sort of reasoning of why its acceptable to do any of the things I used by way of example in my post above. If there are valid reasons for any of them I will be more than happy to accept them. I'll answer the question in your original post one last time.

Why do people deliberately kill animals on the road? - basic human nature, the instincts ingrained in some people from being at the top of the food chain, lack of intelligence; cop on; compassion; common sense or just because they can - these are only suggestions, I've never felt compelled to deliberately run over an animal so I don't know for sure though.

I don't think any people post here who do intentionally run over animals so that might be as good an answer as you might get I'm afraid.

I did not request you to give another answer, I think i've seen enough of your biased opinions. I did not realise your position was given so that you could bully and be rude and sarcastic to people who do not agree with you.

This post does not need a reply on your part, even though I know you like to have the last word.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

AJ has already answered you on this, and it seems that there is no other reason for people to do what they do other than the fact that they can, and there are plenty of people out there who think themselves much higher life forms than animals. I have seven cats in the house, I used to let two out, not anymore. Why? Simple- its too dangerous. I will be building a run for them next summer out in the back garden. I dont let my dogs wander the roads, I wont let my cats either. Cats seem to be the only pet that people just let out and dont care about what they do or where they go. And then they get killed by ignorant assholes on the road who simply dont give a ****. Humans are twisted creatures, simple as. Driving over animals, burning them alive, tying rocks around their necks and throwing them into lakes, beating them senseless etc. Some people simply enjoy torturing animals, the best we can do for our pets is not give them the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

Have seen people swerving to hit a dog, But not lately as hitting any animal, no matter how small, with the front of newer cars can result in at best lossened bumpers/panels, cracked fog lamps etc.

But cruelity to animals continues, i have never seen anything like a family living close to here who have at this stage had 5 or maybe 6 dogs killed on the road in the last 12 months, due to pure carelessness. The dogs roam at will, bark at all hours of day and night, some are quite vicious, all in the middle of a fairly big town. The laughable thing thse people seem fond of the animals at times but it seems like it is just too much trouble to make sure they stay in their own garden.

There needs to be a serious review of who is allowed to keep animals of any kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I don't see a person that would deliberately run over an animal any differently than a person who would deliberately allow their pet get run over by letting it play on a road

I think there is a difference in that the person who deliberately runs over an animal is beyond sick, while the person who let's them roam is just an ignorant fool.
    However, I also have a similarly low opinion of both categories, and have no time for these types of people at all.

This week I found a dead cat on a pavement. The OH and I brought it to my vet so at least it could be scanned and details taken. They also took care of the body as the we have a paved back garden with nowhere to bury it. If this cat had been kept safely inside then he or she would still be alive and myself, the OH, all the passersby and the girls at the vets would have been spared this upsetting experience.

The day before the cat incident, we found an elderly spaniel wandering by herself in our local park. We had never seen her before so the OH ran home and got a spare lead. We decided to walk her around the park to see if anyone knew her. If nobody had, then our next stop would have been the vet to scan for a chip. Some local kids knew her though, and gave us the owner's address. We went up and some muppet opened the door to tell us that "she knows her way home".

I could give loads of other examples of lucky and unlucky animals that were allowed to roam. It would take up too much space and time though as the list is so long.

OP, I'm a bit confused. You seem to be indicating that, although you have seen and been shocked by some of the consequences of pets being allowed to roam, you somehow think it is ok to let them do so? Maybe think about it this way. Your neighbour's house is burgled and many items of monetary and sentimental value taken. You are very upset but...your neighbour and you regularly leave your front doors unlocked when you are out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

OP in the Animals & Pet Issues forum did you expect any other consensus?

I would not run over a cat deliberately - but if one is stupid enough to run out in front of me, I'm not going to swerve into a ditch to avoid it.

Flat cat > Flat me.

• Advertisement

I am finding it most odd that since my last post there seems to be a sudden increase in posts slating me. Most, nothing to do with my original post but more to do with roaming cats and how I am supposedly not looking after my pets properly.

Is someone getting the last word after all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I know an awful lot of Irish people who hate cats, the usually don't have a reason just don't like them. They also usually have no real experience with cats either.

My neighbour was in our local town one day on one of the quoted streets, there was a man driving in front of her taking it handy as there was kids out playing, then however a cat went to cross the road a bit a head of them. Once he saw the cat he apparently did not care about the kids anymore and sped up in order to hit the cat. Once he had he then slowed down to check out his handy work in the mirrors but once my neighbour got out of her car he didn't hang around. The poor cat was still alive and in agony, she took it straight up to the nearest vet and upon examination the vet decided the kindest thing to do was to put it to sleep.

I was so angry when I heard this as the man could have easily avoided the cat. In my personal opinion anyone who gets a thrill out of killing anything is sick in the head. I think how people treat animals us a good guage of their true personality and I also usually find that animal people are good people.

In my almost three years of driving I have only ever killed one thing. A baby rabbit, it was unavoidable, when I heard the this I literally felt like someone had punched me in the stomach. Anyone who doesn't get that feeling when they kill something is clearly missing something wether you like animals or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

I see from a post on the Lost & Found section a poster had to rescue a cat from being deliberately killed on the road

What kind of person would deliberately kill an animal?

A bad person.

Do they get some sort of thrill in their tiny minds?

How could anyone apart from the tiny brained driver know?

I would try and avoid any animal if possible,

So would 99.99% of drivers
    Unless there are some closet animal bashers posting in this forum, i think you will continue to be frustrated with the lack of mental insight from replies.

You might be happier posting in the psychology forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

People who go out of their way to hit animals, cat or dog or otherwise, are sick. We let our cat outside on her own and she roams around where ever she pleases, but has never once gone close to the road. If she were hit, though, I would hope it was an unavoidable accident. It would be terrible, but it happens.

You know that road safety commercial where the kid is driving way too fast and goes to overtake the car in front, and swerves for the dog and ends up in the terrible accident? I wouldn't swerve. The dog shouldn't have been there, nor should he have been driving so fast, but which is more important: a dog or a person?

You know that road safety commercial where the kid is driving way too fast and goes to overtake the car in front, and swerves for the dog and ends up in the terrible accident? I wouldn't swerve. The dog shouldn't have been there, nor should he have been driving so fast, but which is more important: a dog or a person?

Yet you let your cat roam...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I am finding it most odd that since my last post there seems to be a sudden increase in posts slating me. Most, nothing to do with my original post but more to do with roaming cats and how I am supposedly not looking after my pets properly.

Is someone getting the last word after all?

There's no last word nonsense about it.
    What is odd is that you got all defensive when it was mentioned that the cat that was almost deliberately run over would not be in this predicament had its owners not allowed it to roam.
    If you allow your pets to roam, are you not worried that someone will try to deliberately run them over?
    I think we all agree that it is terrible that people do that. However, as some of them are that sick, we should keep our pets safe so that they are never the victims of these types of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

kylith wrote: »
    Yet you let your cat roam...

When I say "roam" I mean she sits in the backyard under a tree for an hour, gets up and moves to another shady spot when she feels like and sit there for awhile. She's old and enjoys rolling around in the sun and sleeping in the shade. But if my cat was so inclined to run out into the middle of the road in front of a car and was hit because either the driver didn't see her or there wasn't enough reaction time, then so be it. I would be devastated. But such is life. If someone's cat or dog ran out in front of my car and I was not able to stop in time or if avoiding hitting it would result in a definite accident, I am incredibly sorry but it happens, animals get hit. Deliberately hitting an animal, though, is sick. I hit a hedgehog once and cried all the way home, there was nothing I could do because it was dark and I didn't see it until the last second before impact. Things happen.

Letting a cat or a dog roam freely doesn't mean the person who owns it cares about them any less. Edit: I guess I'm thinking in a country side situation here, sorry, in a city, things are different! I find it strange when I see cats and dogs running around aimlessly in a city, I guess because it's illegal and I never see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I did not request you to give another answer, I think i've seen enough of your biased opinions. I did not realise your position was given so that you could bully and be rude and sarcastic to people who do not agree with you.

This post does not need a reply on your part, even though I know you like to have the last word.

Mo60 I think you need to calm down slightly. AJ is posting as a poster, I am posting now as a Mod (that's why I type in bold when I'm posting 'as a mod' so posters can differentiate between when I'm posting normally as any other poster, or in a moderator capacity).

AJ was posting as a poster, being a moderator does not give her post any more sway or any more force than anyone elses' post. I'd appreciate if you (and anyone else) would not accuse mods of abusing their position when they're clearly not.

There is also a 'report post' function - which is to be used if you feel a post requires moderator attention (if it's off-topic / abusive / against the charter etc.) It is far better to report a post and ignore it, than reply to it and complain.

If you have any further issue, or if anyone else has any issues, please PM me as I don't wish to drag this thread any further off topic.

@chickenbutt, would you have the same attitude if someone swerved to avoid your cat and hit another car or worse a person? Ah sure thats, life these things happen eh

• Advertisement

When I say "roam" I mean she sits in the backyard under a tree for an hour, gets up and moves to another shady spot when she feels like and sit there for awhile. She's old and enjoys rolling around in the sun and sleeping in the shade. But if my cat was so inclined to run out into the middle of the road in front of a car and was hit because either the driver didn't see her or there wasn't enough reaction time, then so be it. I would be devastated. But such is life. If someone's cat or dog ran out in front of my car and I was not able to stop in time or if avoiding hitting it would result in a definite accident, I am incredibly sorry but it happens, animals get hit. Deliberately hitting an animal, though, is sick. I hit a hedgehog once and cried all the way home, there was nothing I could do because it was dark and I didn't see it until the last second before impact. Things happen.

Letting a cat or a dog roam freely doesn't mean the person who owns it cares about them any less. Edit: I guess I'm thinking in a country side situation here, sorry, in a city, things are different! I find it strange when I see cats and dogs running around aimlessly in a city, I guess because it's illegal and I never see it.

You see that's what I don't get. If my dog was off lead in any area and ran into the road and got killed I wouldn't say 'that's life', I'd never forgive myself. It would be my fault for being careless with my pet's life. That's why I don't understand people who say they love their pets, then let them wander all over the country. Many people here have said that they'd devastated if they killed a cat, why would you do that to them either, or to children who'd see it?

Advertisement