Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deliberately running over cat?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ohmfg

Letting a cat or a dog roam freely doesn't mean the person who owns it cares about them any less.

Chickenbutt, I'm sorry but it really does.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I really dont understand this whole 'that's life' attitude. Now, I'm not saying to treat your animals like kids, but if a child ran out on the road and was knocked down, would you say the same? Do these people who say this understand how agonisingly painful something like that is for an animal? Some of them are crushed to death, some of them suffer horrific injuries and bleed out. Most are killed outright but there are a lot that spend the following hours in horrendous pain dying on the side of the road. Anyone who knows this can happen and does nothing about it doesn't care about their animals as far as I'm concerned.
    Like I said before, we used to leave two cats out, they never went very far until one of them did. I sat up until three in the morning waiting for him to come home, worried out of my mind that something had happened to him, and when he finally returned, I swore I would never leave him out again unless the garden is secure. It's the same as my dogs, they do not have access to the front garden where they could jump the wall or get through the gate. I dont see why people complain about dogs in the road, but its fine if its a cat?
    I grew up in the countryside, almost every single one of our cats were knocked down and killed and that was before the roads were as busy as they are now and with how bad some of the roads are out there, they are far more likely to be killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

I do not feel that I have to calm down, I just feel that this forum sometimes feels like bullies in the playground egged on by the Prefect.

Until I came onto this forum I had never heard of cats being locked up 24/7. I have lived/been to many countries and always have seen well fed cats, obviously pets, roaming freely. Do all these owners not care care about their pets?

I accept that people have different opinions about roaming cats, but I have never knowingly berated or belittled their opinions. I care about all my pets and do not need someone insinuating otherwise.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Mo60 wrote: »
    I do not feel that I have to calm down, I just feel that this forum sometimes feels like bullies in the playground egged on by the Prefect.

If thats the way you feel report the post.The mods cannot act if you feel bullied unless you report the post that you feel is the one in which you are being bullied.

As for people picking on mods and accusing them of this that and the other on thread--This stops now.

There is a dispute resolution process in place which cover this sort of thing ie if you have a problem with a mod then report the mod to a cmod and let them have a look at it and see if its worth taking further.

Now Im saying this one more time--If anyone airs their greivances with a mod ON THREAD again without taking the proper route then I am issuing a one week ban.

Star pants has made it clear that we as mods can post in a pesonal capacity and if we do we dont want other users making ridiculous insinuations that we shouldnt post and/or making out that we are abusing the fact that we are mods.

The dispute resolution process is here :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1397

I suggest that anyone else that has a problem with a mod uses it and doesnt take a thread off topic in order to complain about that mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

@chickenbutt, would you have the same attitude if someone swerved to avoid your cat and hit another car or worse a person? Ah sure thats, life these things happen eh

But... that's... I just said I'd rather someone hit my cat if swerving or suddenly stopping would put themselves or anyone else in danger? I don't think anyone will disagree with me here. For example, one Christmas Day in snowy and icy Minnesota my aunt was driving down a gravel country road with my 10 year old cousin in the car when a neighbor's pet Labrador ran out of the field and right in front of her Jeep. She could not swerve because swerving mean they would end up in the snowy ditch and there was no reaction time to stop. The dog was hit. She felt awful and even drove back to check for it, but it wasn't around. If it died, I guarantee you she felt horrible and the family were gutted, but they would all agree that it was either them or the dog.

I have to say that I know where my cat will be when we let her outside without supervision. With dogs or some other cats, you just can't do that. If I had a dog, there's no way I would let it out on it's own, or if I had a cat that had a tendency to roam far away. My cat does not do these things. But ah sure, that's life.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

But... that's... I just said I'd rather someone hit my cat if swerving or suddenly stopping would put themselves or anyone else in danger? I don't think anyone will disagree with me here. For example, one Christmas Day in snowy and icy Minnesota my aunt was driving down a gravel country road with my 10 year old cousin in the car when a neighbor's pet Labrador ran out of the field and right in front of her Jeep. She could not swerve because swerving mean they would end up in the snowy ditch and there was no reaction time to stop. The dog was hit. She felt awful and even drove back to check for it, but it wasn't around. If it died, I guarantee you she felt horrible and the family were gutted, but they would all agree that it was either them or the dog.

I have to say that I know where my cat will be when we let her outside without supervision. With dogs or some other cats, you just can't do that. If I had a dog, there's no way I would let it out on it's own, or if I had a cat that had a tendency to roam far away. My cat does not do these things. But ah sure, that's life.

Take the story you just wrote there about the labrador. Now put someone else in the place of your aunt and your cat in place of the dog. Why offer up this feeling of guilt and remorse to someone who doesn't need it because you left your cat roam? And its no good saying you know your cat wont ever leave, what if a tom cat came into the garden, or a dog? Or simply if the cat got a fright, or chased a butterfly out on the road? Animals cant comprehend things the way we do, they dont automatically think road = danger.

On top of that, not every person will simply run the cat over you know? Its foolish, but plenty of people would try to stop or swerve if they saw an animal on the road, I know I most likely would, and not out of rational thinking, but out of instinct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

they could also swerve for a hare, a fox, a hedgehog. I've swerved for dogs before, hell I've swerved to avoid kids running out. It is life, and it's a risk that is acceptable to many cat owners who adore their cats. IMO it's no life indoors for a cat, they may as well be put down - that's only my opinion and it's based on the behaviour of my own cats, who I love and want to see living a happy, natural life.

People who aim for cats would probably aim for anything else too - they're the type of idiots who make walking along country roads so dangerous too. Should I stop doing that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Shanao wrote: »
    Take the story you just wrote there about the labrador. Now put someone else in the place of your aunt and your cat in place of the dog. Why offer up this feeling of guilt and remorse to someone who doesn't need it because you left your cat roam? And its no good saying you know your cat wont ever leave, what if a tom cat came into the garden, or a dog? Or simply if the cat got a fright, or chased a butterfly out on the road? Animals cant comprehend things the way we do, they dont automatically think road = danger.

On top of that, not every person will simply run the cat over you know? Its foolish, but plenty of people would try to stop or swerve if they saw an animal on the road, I know I most likely would, and not out of rational thinking, but out of instinct.

I totally understand what you're saying and I'm not trying to get into a big debate about the morals of letting a cat walk outside unsupervised. I'm merely trying to point out that different circumstances allow for people to raise (is that the right word?) their pets different ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

No disrespect to the OP but it is a bit of a silly question, the reason why one person would commit such an act will not carry over to another person doing the same thing. Human’s actions are subjective, there will never be answers to such questions; what you do have is the general and the specific reasons to such behaviour.

Look at an extreme and much more complex example serial killers; whilst there may be general traits, behaviours or complex’s that a significant amount of serial killers may share. The specific answer to why the subject killed and carried on doing so will be totally subjective. The same with most things say addiction this time most addicts fit into various categories, but I have worked with thousands of addicts and at the end of the why they started down that road and continued with that way of life was strictly down to the individual.

As I said no disrespect to the OP but you will never get an answer to questions like that, it's too big of a question. We could look at the various generalities, or the impact of such behaviour on the individual, the risks involved in such a behaviour etc; but that is about it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

To answers the OP's post, some humans are sadly very sick, evil and sadistic and take pleasure in killing animals.

I think the Irish in particular as a people are very bad when it comes to treating animals and general attitudes to animals and animal welfare in the country are a complete and utter disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 hazygirl

I presume the person who first posted about being shocked at people trying to run over that cat was responding to the found ad I placed myself about the cat that a load of people tried running over on a college campus.

Just wanted to reply & let you know that the cat is doing great & it the nicest cat I have ever known (& i've owned cats & rescued/worked with many of them). She is an absolute delight to have in my home :)

The drivers were a mix (pretty much 60:40 ratio men:women)& ranged in age from their late teens to "old timers". The younger drivers were actually attempting to play bowling pretty much with her, while the older ones just seemed to not care about her.

We now believe the cat may have belonged to someone who passed away & was NOT used to being outside (she refuses point blank to go out). She was obviously once loved & is also quite old so in response to people that mentioned irresponsible owners-I truely don't believe this was the case in this particular case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

hazygirl wrote: »
    I presume the person who first posted about being shocked at people trying to run over that cat was responding to the found ad I placed myself about the cat that a load of people tried running over on a college campus.

Just wanted to reply & let you know that the cat is doing great & it the nicest cat I have ever known (& i've owned cats & rescued/worked with many of them). She is an absolute delight to have in my home :)

The drivers were a mix (pretty much 60:40 ratio men:women)& ranged in age from their late teens to "old timers". The younger drivers were actually attempting to play bowling pretty much with her, while the older ones just seemed to not care about her.

We now believe the cat may have belonged to someone who passed away & was NOT used to being outside (she refuses point blank to go out). She was obviously once loved & is also quite old so in response to people that mentioned irresponsible owners-I truely don't believe this was the case in this particular case.

You are correct, I was responding to your found add. I could not believe that people could be so cruel. Unfortunately my post did not bring out the best in some people on this forum.

Nevertheless I am happy the cat has now ended up in a happy situation, thanks to you. I hope she has many happy years ahead of her.

Advertisement