Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Custom PC Build. (Any suggestions or other ideas are welcome)

Options
  • 01-10-2011 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Graphics Card
    Gainward GeForce GTX 570 Golden Sample GLH, 1.25GB GDDR5

CPU
    Intel Core i7-2600K Box, LGA1155

Motherboard
    ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX

Case
    Antec Nine Hundred, ATX, ohne Netzteil

RAM
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance rot PC3-14900U CL9

Power Supply
    Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2

Internal HardDrive
    WD RE4 1TB, SATA II (WD1003FBYX)

DVD-RW Drive
    ASUS DRW-22B3S Bulk PATA schwarz

This is the planned gaming build, will be upgrading it shortly again with SSD but thats for later when I get my next paycheck :P

Again, any help would be awesome. First time building a pc so I'm not the most knowledgeable about these things! :D

Thanks all!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

If you have a look at this thread and fill it out it would help a lot. We need to know your budget and what you need etc. :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056397753

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Redbassist

Not so much worried about budget, just looking for peoples suggestions for a gaming rig and any opinion on whether I am overspending on some components or anything like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 KamSaw

Redbassist wrote: »
    Not so much worried about budget, just looking for peoples suggestions for a gaming rig and any opinion on whether I am overspending on some components or anything like that

You could definitely save some cash on that build. The cpu and gpu are excellent but probably over your needs
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

PSU is above your needs unless you're planning SLI.

RAM is probably very expensive. You get very little extra performance for money here.

I'm guess that HDD is expensive. Probably a decent drive with a long warranty but something like the samsung F3 is likely to be cheaper and just as good.
    Consider an SSD for a build of this quality (Crucial M4 64B or 128GB).

2600K is generally a waste if it's for gaming with no benefit over the 2500K.

Well if its a gaming computer I'd consider something like this to be the sweet spot performance/value wise:

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €983.71 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€184.21
    ASRock P67 Extreme4 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX|€133.61
    8GB-Kit GEIL Value PC3-10667 DDR3-1333 CL9|€38.53
    Club 3D Radeon HD 6970 Dual Fan, 2048MB GDDR5, AMD Radeon HD 6970, PCI- Express|€292.02
    Cooler Master 690 II LITE Midi-Tower - PURE Black Edition, ohne Netzteil|€68.18
    XFX PRO750W Core Edition Full Wired Power Supply|€78.75
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)|€48.29
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€89.45
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA|€16.79
    Scythe Mugen 3, für alle Sockel geeignet|€33.88

The 2500k is what you want for gaming as the i7 doesn't give any increase in performance in games.

Motherboard allows for crossfire later.

Case is better than the antec 900 and cheaper. The 900 is dated, there are better cases nowdays.

Graphics card is better than the 570 for not much more. Room for crossfire later.

PSU is cheaper than the corsair and just as good.

Added an SSD because you always want one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Personally, I'd go for the 570 in that build. €280/292, for only a slight performance increase. When you get into the fact that the 570s usually clock better than the 6970s, as well as handle DX11-heavy games better than their AMD counterparts, IMO it's definitely the better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Redbassist

Hey guys thanks for all help, deconduo you make some really good points and prob will change out the ram and case for the ones you have suggested. Sticking with the 570 though since it is overclocked and as Serephucus said, handles direct x11 games better. :)

Just torn now between the 2600k and the 2500k since from what I have read and seen it is not essential for the i7 for gaming pcs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If I had the choice between the two, I'm probably go for the i5. Hyperthreading gives you about a 30-40% performance boost in VERY multi-threaded apps (games aren't one of them), but adds 10°C extra heat. Better off disabling it and getting the extra 600MHz with your overclock.

The 6970 is on average 5-6% better at 1900x1080, so I'd usually recommend it over the 570 if its less than 5-6% more expensive (in this case less than ~€20 more)

The 6970 runs a bit cooler, quieter and uses less power at stock, but doesn't overclock as well as the 570. However the Club3D one has a pretty good cooler, better than most of the 570s available on HWVS.

One last thing to consider would be the sort of games you play. AMD cards perform better with first person games, such as Crysis, Metro 2033, Just Cause 2. NVidia favours games such as Civ 5, SC2, Dirt3.

Advertisement