Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermacs special offer meals. Check what you are charged.

Options
  • 01-10-2011 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd share this one with people.
    Supermacs currently have a number of special deals on set meals at the moment, such as chicken wrap meal for 4.95. It costs 75c to go large, but if you ask for the large meal, they key it in and charge you the standard (non offer) price for the meal, then 75c to go large, so you get no special offer.

This has happened to me twice in two different places in Meath over the past two weeks, and I've seen a number of other people complain about it while there too, so if you're getting a special offer meal, and go large, watch what you get charged.

In fairness, they apologized and gave back the money they overcharged, but worth keeping an eye out for, can make a big difference in the cost. On both occasions, they said that the till hadnt been changed yet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

How is this a ripoff? They made an error, they admitted the error, and they corrected the error.

Maybe you've never made an error in your life, but I have and I don't expect to be accused of a ripoff due to a small error

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

maxer68 wrote: »
    How is this a ripoff? They made an error, they admitted the error, and they corrected the error.

Maybe you've never made an error in your life, but I have and I don't expect to be accused of a ripoff due to a small error

Maxer68 , - Its best you read the OP again . .......Thuis was not a once -off mistake .

It happened the OP twice , and he/she knows a number of other people that had to complain too.

In my opinion , this should certainly be considered a rip-off .

There seems to be a pattern of consistency in exploiting the consumer once again .

Therefore thanks OP for highlighting this rip-off.

I reckon its better in consumer issues or a new page for errors noticed.

Rip-off is when someone / company is purposely trying to take your money for something that is not worth it or for a servcie not needed or over sold.

The problem with this thread is there are too many gripes about 10c here and 10c there that the real rip-offs such as you see on BBC's watchdog programme are never brought up - and they certainly do exist here too.

Plumbers that create problems that don't exist, conmen that sell you stuff you don't want etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Archeron

Rip-off is when someone / company is purposely trying to take your money for something that is not worth it or for a servcie not needed or over sold.

The problem with this thread is there are too many gripes about 10c here and 10c there that the real rip-offs such as you see on BBC's watchdog programme are never brought up - and they certainly do exist here too.

Plumbers that create problems that don't exist, conmen that sell you stuff you don't want etc etc.

This is a fair point, perhaps consumer issues would be better or even perhaps an errors forum but the tone in the first reply is completely uncalled for. The reason I posted this here was to let people know to check what they are being charged when they are buying special offers in this particular store. If you go into Spar or Supervalu for example, and get charged full price on special offer items, is that not a rip off? Is it not a rip off that people are complaining about constantly? I would certainly class being charged more than you should be on a continuous basis as a rip off.

And to point out that its not 10c here or 20c there, this difference in price is over 2 euro on one meal, and the family sitting in front of me had been overcharged by nearly 9 euro altogether, not exactly an insignificant amount of money. Their reaction was to bring the whole load of food back up, leave it on the counter and demand their money back. A bit OTT in my opinion, but still cost supermacs their business and damaged their reputation. However, seeing as only real rip offs are allowed, I shall not post here again until I have been sold volcano insurance at an exorbitant price, or a plumber blows my house up.

And just to add a final point to this, my brother went to the same restaurant today that I was in over a week ago, and lo and behold, he was charged full price once again and told that the tills hadnt been adjusted yet. In my OP, I hadnt used the words Rip Off, and agreed that the staff were nice about it and refunded the difference. However, with over a week to fix the problem, and it still not sorted and the same excuse being given, now I actually DO cry "RIP OFF"

If the post doesnt belong here, please do feel free to delete it.

Looking at this again - you were not incorrectly charged.

The offer is for a STANDARD chicken wrap meal. - No-where on the offer does it state that you can make it a large meal.

As I said this thread has gone for something good to a load of rubbish and pepole moaning about tiny little discrepancies and many not in any way a rip-off.

If the thread was dedicated to REAL rip-offs, it would be so so much better.

btw - next time you hear of someone being ripped off of their life savings by a dodgy tarmac gang, think of the few cent that you were not really entitled to under the terms of the offer - yet moaned about!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

I would not trust Supermacs because they do not properly update their system and they are poorly managed. McDonalds offer me much better value for money.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Shops that consistently fail to update their till systems with advertised prices are con artists. You can be damn sure that all these "errors" add up to quite a large sum - they may not be headline-grabbing but they are certainly money-grabbing.

parsi wrote: »
    Shops that consistently fail to update their till systems with advertised prices are con artists. You can be damn sure that all these "errors" add up to quite a large sum - they may not be headline-grabbing but they are certainly money-grabbing.

But there is no error here. The offer is for standard meal and this is quite clear on all markrting. The op wanted a large meal and this was correctly charged at the standard price. To avoid argument, supermacs allowed the offer to be upgraded at the lower price.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

Why go to Superma\ck? Its ****e anyway.:eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

But there is no error here. The offer is for standard meal and this is quite clear on all markrting. The op wanted a large meal and this was correctly charged at the standard price. To avoid argument, supermacs allowed the offer to be upgraded at the lower price.

Have a look again at the text I quoted. In particular the "10c here and 10c there" comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Looking at this again - you were not incorrectly charged.

The offer is for a STANDARD chicken wrap meal. - No-where on the offer does it state that you can make it a large meal.
    !

Just looking at the Supermacs website , it states that the amazing meal deal is for ' Chicken Wrap Meal € 4.95 '

Nowhere does it say you are been denied the opportunity to go large , and nowhere does it say that it is compulsory to purchase a standard meal .

As far as I know , there is no difference in the size of the Chicken Wrap , whether you buy standard or large .
    Is the difference in the size of chips / drink ?

http://www.supermacs.ie/supermacs.html

I think that Supermacs are hoodwinking us , if they insist that you pay full price if you decide to go large .

Folks, why are we not availing of McDonalds Euro saver Menu? Look:

1 Hamburger: EUR1.00

1 Double Cheese Burger: EUR2.00

6 Chicken nuggets: EUR2.00

1 Ice Cream Sundae: EUR1.00

Only some of the Eurosaver menu I can think of. Yet, people here are happy to buy off Supermacs to pay more?

Just looking at the Supermacs website , it states that the amazing meal deal is for ' Chicken Wrap Meal € 4.95 '

Nowhere does it say you are been denied the opportunity to go large , and nowhere does it say that it is compulsory to purchase a standard meal

Nowhere does it say you have the option of going large. Therefore the advertising and the pricing is 100% correct.

take a different scenario - ketchup in supermarket 33% off 500ml bottle - do you claim the discount should be on the larger 750ml bottle too?

Nowhere does it say you have the option of going large. Therefore the advertising and the pricing is 100% correct.

take a different scenario - ketchup in supermarket 33% off 500ml bottle - do you claim the discount should be on the larger 750ml bottle too?

Nobody cares much about Supermacs anymore. They will likely come sucking back with more offers because they know that they are being beaten by their rival McDonalds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Rubbish.

Supermacs are either (a) deliberatly trying to catch people by offering to go large without saying that if this offer is taken then the deal is lost, or (b) useless muppets whose system cannot handle a deal with 'going large'.

kcb wrote: »
    Rubbish.

Supermacs are either (a) deliberatly trying to catch people by offering to go large without saying that if this offer is taken then the deal is lost, or (b) useless muppets whose system cannot handle a deal with 'going large'.

According to the OP the supermacs staff did not offer a large option - the OP specifically asked for it.

If the staff were trying to get you to go large and charge at the full price it would be a different story - but this is not the case here.

Supermacs food is greasy and their <SNIP> Look at their pathetic advertizing: ''your country needs you''... As if that washes with a consumer!

McDonalds offer better quality food for less.

Skopzz wrote: »
    Supermacs food is greasy and their xxxxx x x xxxxxxxx . Look at their pathetic advertizing: ''your country needs you''... As if that washes with a consumer!

McDonalds offer better quality food for less.

Skopzz - earlier this year you were a "currency expert" that called it so unbelievably wrong (sterling has STILL not dropped back to your "buy it now" rate.

Now you're a food expert??!!?? AND you are making libelous comments about an excellent Irish company.

You really don;t have a frikin clue do you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Archeron wrote: »
    Just thought I'd share this one with people.
    Supermacs currently have a number of special deals on set meals at the moment, such as chicken wrap meal for 4.95. It costs 75c to go large, but if you ask for the large meal, they key it in and charge you the standard (non offer) price for the meal, then 75c to go large, so you get no special offer.

This has happened to me twice in two different places in Meath over the past two weeks, and I've seen a number of other people complain about it while there too, so if you're getting a special offer meal, and go large, watch what you get charged.

In fairness, they apologized and gave back the money they overcharged, but worth keeping an eye out for, can make a big difference in the cost. On both occasions, they said that the till hadnt been changed yet.

I'm totally shocked, that they understood you

Skopzz - earlier this year you were a "currency expert" that called it so unbelievably wrong (sterling has STILL not dropped back to your "buy it now" rate.

Now you're a food expert??!!?? AND you are making libelous comments about an excellent Irish company.

You really don;t have a frikin clue do you?

It's not ''sterling'': it's called the British Pound.

<removed> That is not libelous.

You can call me what you want, but I will not change my opinion based on what I seen in the past.

Well done Team Supermacs - back-slapping all round.

• Advertisement

Skopzz wrote: »
    It's not ''sterling'': it's called the British Pound.

BTW, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXX. That is not libelous.

You can call me what you want, but I will not change my opinion based on what I seen in the past.

Well done Team Supermacs - back-slapping all round.

quite obviously you did not study law nor english nor ecomonics at NUIG.

or maybe you wish to argue against the Oxford University Dictionary?

"Sterling
    Noun
    1 British money:prices in sterling are shown"

btw, an opinion not backed up by fact on a public discussion board can be seen as libelous.

And as usual you take the OP way off kilter. - This is about how prices are displayed / understood. the lesson is for no-one to assume anything other than what is specifically advertised applies to any advertised offer and if in doubt ask beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Skopzz, it's not up to you to decide what's libellous and what's not. The mod of this forum has already removed your comment, and putting it back again was not wise. If you want to make unfounded and possibly libellous comments about any establishment, do it on your own site where you will be the one facing legal action, not here where this site's owners are legally responsible. Do it again here and you won't be posting anything else.

quite obviously you did not study law nor english nor ecomonics at NUIG.

or maybe you wish to argue against the Oxford University Dictionary?

"Sterling
    Noun
    1 British money:prices in sterling are shown"

btw, an opinion not backed up by fact on a public discussion board can be seen as libelous.

And as usual you take the OP way off kilter. - This is about how prices are displayed / understood. the lesson is for no-one to assume anything other than what is specifically advertised applies to any advertised offer and if in doubt ask beforehand.

Keep my credentials out of this. You know **** all about me.

And if you think consumers cannot see through your lies, don't count on someone to hide it for you because there are many sources of public complaints out there that do not cave-in to you like this forum does.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just saw this thread now, i get a snackbox meal in supermacs at least once a week, since they brought in this so called special offer, the box is 1/2 as small, you get the same amount of chicken but about 1/3 of the chips.
    A complete and utter ripoff, who do they think they are fooling, i was so pissed off with this that im now taking my custom elsewhere.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Closing this thread as it's gone way off topic. Skopzz, go find a McDonalds appreciation society thread if you love them that much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement