Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

costs of running a smartphone

Options
  • 01-10-2011 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

I bought a smartphone (Vodafone Smart White PAYG)) that I am thinking of giving as a present .But I am worried about the buttons that could incur costs mistakenly.

I noticed ,when I was trying it out , that it attempts to connect to various websites if I press a button that I don't understand .(even though I am on Pay as you Go -I have never succeeded in getting the internet on smartphones except with wi-fi and then only really out of curiosity since the screen is to small to make it a convenient experience)

Is there any way I can turn off the attempts by this new phone to connect to the internet (I think it might only be costing 2 cents a time but I can't be sure it mightn't connect successfully at some point and the user mightn't realise it and end up with no credit..)

Or are these buttons and internet functions so embedded into the phone that you will need to understand the phone quite well before someone gives you one as a present?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have no experience with that phone. But there will be settings that will allow you to disable the data connection. So it wont cost you.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

I've never had a vodafone phone but there is a way off turning the newtork internet off.
    I have my network set to mms only instead of mms + internet.
    This is how you do it in my samsung, maybe you can play around a bit with your phone and find out how to do it with yours. . .
    Settings >Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > o2.ie Mobile Internet > scroll down and find "APN type" Change to MMS.

That blocks my ohone from connecting to o2 internet completely so unless I'm connected to wireless the phone is offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

thanks
    I am sure I will work it out then.

Advertisement