Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Queries of a Judo Beginner

• 01-10-2011 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hi! So as the title suggests, I have recently started Judo. So far, I have been to two training sessions, but am still a bit confused as to whether it is for me or not.

At both training sessions, I have noticed that it takes me a while to get used to the different moves, break falls, etc. I'm still trying to get my head around them. When it comes to sparring, I seem to draw a blank as to what I should do. It's probably worth mentioning my coordination is pretty bad. This was one of the main reasons why I decided to join up, as I was hoping that it could improve. Also sometimes I have to ask the instructor a few times to go over things.

What doesn't really help either is that, at the sparring, some of the members can be a bit hard on me. At my last training session, one guy was getting quite annoyed that it was taking me a while to try a move on him. We only did more basic moves at the first training session. Then, at the second one, I was the only beginner there :o. So the instructor did more advanced stuff, different to the first session. As a result, I got totally lost and couldn't spare properly. I'm just wondering is it normal to feel this way, especially starting off?

Also, I just find it a bit disconcerting that all the members at the training session have spent years doing Judo, MMA, Thai boxing and Wrestling. The only experience of Martial Arts I have is two years of Taekwondo, when I was 9, which I left due to the older and advanced students throwing punches at me and my white belt. I'm 20 now, so it has been a while. The reason I'm saying this as well is to ask whether I should continue Judo. I find the sport interesting, particularly for self defence and improving my coordination, confidence, etc. It's just I don't feel confident with sparring, as I don't really have the moves to protect myself amongst the more advanced guys, who have been at different Martial Arts for years.

If you could give me some helpful advice, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to give it a shot, but at the same time, I want to be able to practise it safely.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hey, just to let you know that all those points can easily be addessed, but I'm just home from competing (judo), I'm really sore and very tired but I will get back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

djcervi wrote: »
    At both training sessions, I have noticed that it takes me a while to get used to the different moves, break falls, etc. I'm still trying to get my head around them. When it comes to sparring, I seem to draw a blank as to what I should do.
    You've only done two sessions, it's going to take ages before you feel like you know what you're doing in sparring. It took me years. Years.
    What doesn't really help either is that, at the sparring, some of the members can be a bit hard on me.
    No one expects a beginner to go full on in sparring, but sometimes guys get a bit carried away. Let them know that they're going too hard.
    At my last training session, one guy was getting quite annoyed that it was taking me a while to try a move on him. We only did more basic moves at the first training session.
    Just try something. Don't worry too much about it.
    Then, at the second one, I was the only beginner there :o. So the instructor did more advanced stuff, different to the first session. As a result, I got totally lost and couldn't spare properly. I'm just wondering is it normal to feel this way, especially starting off?
    Yes it's normal to feel lost. One of the biggest problems with judo is that it has a pretty steep learning curve. It takes ages before you start to feel like you know what you're doing.

Hi! So as the title suggests, I have recently started Judo. So far, I have been to two training sessions, but am still a bit confused as to whether it is for me or not.

Welcome to Judo, I hope the journey continues.. If you want to appreciate the journey you've just begun I'd highly recommend you buy 'The Pyjama Game', it'll bring you through one man's journey from his first day in the club to his black belt.
    At both training sessions, I have noticed that it takes me a while to get used to the different moves, break falls, etc. I'm still trying to get my head around them. When it comes to sparring, I seem to draw a blank as to what I should do. It's probably worth mentioning my coordination is pretty bad. This was one of the main reasons why I decided to join up, as I was hoping that it could improve. Also sometimes I have to ask the instructor a few times to go over things.

Well in fairness you've only been to two sessions, your being awfully hard on yourself. Your coordination should improve as your understanding of judo improves. As Doug said, Judo has a very steep learning curve and lets be honest about it, its a bloody tough style, try stick it out.
    What doesn't really help either is that, at the sparring, some of the members can be a bit hard on me. At my last training session, one guy was getting quite annoyed that it was taking me a while to try a move on him. We only did more basic moves at the first training session. Then, at the second one, I was the only beginner there :o. So the instructor did more advanced stuff, different to the first session. As a result, I got totally lost and couldn't spare properly. I'm just wondering is it normal to feel this way, especially starting off?

Re. partners going hard on you. Like I said, Judo is tough and you might be surprised to find out the lad probably is going easy with you, but since its all so alien to you your perception of your partners judo is that he's going tough.

One or two things to consider, you've started at a busy period competition wise - yesterday was a national dan and kyu grading, next week is the Leinster Open then there's the Irish Open coming up, All Irelands etc. If you've in a particularly competitive club your just going to have to bare it out for awhile. However you could try ask one of the older lads who are not competing to bring you through your paces for awhile - they'll be complimented by you placing your confidence in them.
    Also, I just find it a bit disconcerting that all the members at the training session have spent years doing Judo, MMA, Thai boxing and Wrestling.

Sounds like your training in Wild Geese under Donal Tannam, if you are you've really landed on your feet. Donal teaches some beautiful Judo, a perfect gentleman.. If thats where you started I know who'd going rough with you - mention it to Donal, you won't have been the first to do so.
    The only experience of Martial Arts I have is two years of Taekwondo, when I was 9, which I left due to the older and advanced students throwing punches at me and my white belt. I'm 20 now, so it has been a while. The reason I'm saying this as well is to ask whether I should continue Judo. I find the sport interesting, particularly for self defence and improving my coordination, confidence, etc. It's just I don't feel confident with sparring, as I don't really have the moves to protect myself amongst the more advanced guys, who have been at different Martial Arts for years.

If you could give me some helpful advice, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to give it a shot, but at the same time, I want to be able to practise it safely.

Most lads here on this forum will have started as a kid and dropped out only to take up a style in their adulthood, so we know where your coming from.

I'll cut straight to the point, if you like Judo but find its too hard to get to grips with (yes there's pun in there) or its too tough - getting thrown on your back hurts!, then you might consider taking a look at BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu).

Most clubs (BJJ) won't teach you the big throws that Judo has (Coolmine BJJ will, Luke's Judo out there is superb), it'll almost all be on the ground and you'll be pretty confident with most guys with in months - and you still get to wear your pyjamas!.

Judo for self defence?... Do you really need to learn self defence?.. I think it was Doug who said it here awhile back that he tells people your more likely to get hurt training in the club than you ever will on the street.

PM me if you wanna chat, I'll know the people in the club where your training and I'll give you a few pointers as to who best to approach - but right off the top of my head I'll tell you now that you should always bring your questions to your coach first - he used to be a white belt too!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

I've only been doing Judo for the last year and a half but it's something I have come to enjoy going to every week. Even those Sunday morning sessions when I'm stuck to the bed I somehow still manage to drag myself out of bed and down to the club.:D

Also, you've only done two sessions so don't think you're going to be throwing people around the room. Two weeks ago was the first time I threw a guy who I've been training with for the last 18 months and there are still other guys that I have yet to throw.

When it comes to sparring, I seem to draw a blank as to what I should do.

This will come with practise. Like everything in Judo it will come with time. Grips are probably the most important thing.

It's probably worth mentioning my coordination is pretty bad. This was one of the main reasons why I decided to join up, as I was hoping that it could improve.

I'm 6'2" and over twenty stone so I'm far from graceful, but my balance and footwork has certainly improved over the last year. At the beginning I was constantly getting thrown with footsweeps but it's now more rare that someone throws me that way.

Also sometimes I have to ask the instructor a few times to go over things.

My coaches are still telling me things that they told me the first night I trained. They are tremendously patient. Any good teacher is.

What doesn't really help either is that, at the sparring, some of the members can be a bit hard on me.

It may seem like that at the start when your breakfalls and rolls are not second nature, but after a while you won't even notice getting thrown. You'll be straight back up on your feet to go again.

On the off chance that someone is really milling you into the ground then that is bad form. Do you notice that one person in particular is rougher than the others? If so, like Makikomi said a quiet word with your coach might do the trick.

I was the only beginner there :o. So the instructor did more advanced stuff, different to the first session. As a result, I got totally lost and couldn't spare properly. I'm just wondering is it normal to feel this way, especially starting off?

Yeah it's pretty usual to feel lost at the start.

Also, I just find it a bit disconcerting that all the members at the training session have spent years doing Judo, MMA, Thai boxing and Wrestling.

It doesn't matter what they've done because when you step on the mat all you should be doing is judo.

Finally, don't give up on it in the first few weeks, I see too many guys who leave after two or three sessions. Give it a chance. It takes time to see progress in Judo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Hi djcervi

Im new enough to Judo, doing it about 6 months now and like you I was all over the place in the beginning. I found that by looking up the internet at basic throws and sweeps and practising a few of them until I had the grasp of them really helped. From talking to my instructor, he says that although there are lots of throws/sweeps and variations of these, most Judoka have a handful that they perfect and use a lot. You just have to keep practicing specific throws that work for you during your Randori.

I am by no means graceful, 6 foot and about 16 stone with a mashed knee that requires surgery - but the more you learn the easier it will get (by easy i mean comfortable, it was always be difficult).

The main thing I found is to learn how to land, once you do know how to land after someone throws you, you wont be as afraid and you will take it in your stride.

If the other lads are being quite hard then you may just have a quiet word in their ear, but as stated earlier, chances are they are being easy on you but it just seems like they are not as you don't know how to land properly.

I found The Fighting Spirit of Judo by Yasuhiro Yama****a very good as he is also a heavyweight. I did find it hard to remember all the Japanese names but in time, if you keep reciting as you do them, you will learn and remember them.

Don't quit it without giving it a decent run, if after 3 or 4 months you still feel the same then it may not be for you, but i would give it a few months and learn a few throws and when you finally get a great throw in, sit back and enjoy it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I think that youtube and the internet are actually not your friends right now. There's a lot of bad judo videos out there, and even with just the good resources, there is just so much information out there it's only going to confuse you further.

I wouldn't use the net for anything more than looking up the names of the throws and holds you've learned. Even then it's going to get confusing. You'll end up looking at the pictures of of hiza guruma and sasae tsurikomi ashi, and trying to figure out what the hell the difference between them is, and it will drive you nuts.

To start out I think you're best off just trying your best to do what you're told in class, even if it's really confusing. In randori just concentrate taking your sleeve and lapel grip and moving around with your opponent. Take the odd swipe at their legs if you get the chance, but mainly experiment with how the react to the various ways you push and pull them. Don't stress out, don't worry if you get thrown, and try not to be too defensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Hi guys,
    Huge thanks to you all for your advice and opinions. I really do appreciate it. I really do want to give this a go, and sadly I'm being quite hard on myself. It's just the way I am generally when I take up new things. I do realise that I need to be patient about Judo, and more importantly, enjoy it for what it is. I guess my post caught me at a time when I had come back from my second session, and I felt ridculous amongst all the people who are more confident at sparring than I am.
    RoboRat wrote: »

I am by no means graceful, 6 foot and about 16 stone with a mashed knee that requires surgery - but the more you learn the easier it will get (by easy i mean comfortable, it was always be difficult).

The main thing I found is to learn how to land, once you do know how to land after someone throws you, you wont be as afraid and you will take it in your stride.

If the other lads are being quite hard then you may just have a quiet word in their ear, but as stated earlier, chances are they are being easy on you but it just seems like they are not as you don't know how to land properly.

I found The Fighting Spirit of Judo by Yasuhiro Yama****a very good as he is also a heavyweight. I did find it hard to remember all the Japanese names but in time, if you keep reciting as you do them, you will learn and remember them.

Don't quit it without giving it a decent run, if after 3 or 4 months you still feel the same then it may not be for you, but i would give it a few months and learn a few throws and when you finally get a great throw in, sit back and enjoy it!

Thanks for sharing your story. It's pretty cool to hear from people who have taken up Judo, and have never looked back.
    Opinicus wrote: »
    I've only been doing Judo for the last year and a half but it's something I have come to enjoy going to every week. Even those Sunday morning sessions when I'm stuck to the bed I somehow still manage to drag myself out of bed and down to the club.:D

Also, you've only done two sessions so don't think you're going to be throwing people around the room. Two weeks ago was the first time I threw a guy who I've been training with for the last 18 months and there are still other guys that I have yet to throw.

This will come with practise. Like everything in Judo it will come with time. Grips are probably the most important thing.

I'm 6'2" and over twenty stone so I'm far from graceful, but my balance and footwork has certainly improved over the last year. At the beginning I was constantly getting thrown with footsweeps but it's now more rare that someone throws me that way.

My coaches are still telling me things that they told me the first night I trained. They are tremendously patient. Any good teacher is.

It may seem like that at the start when your breakfalls and rolls are not second nature, but after a while you won't even notice getting thrown. You'll be straight back up on your feet to go again.

On the off chance that someone is really milling you into the ground then that is bad form. Do you notice that one person in particular is rougher than the others? If so, like Liam Rapping Wheelbarrow said a quiet word with your coach might do the trick.

Yeah it's pretty usual to feel lost at the start.

It doesn't matter what they've done because when you step on the mat all you should be doing is judo.

Finally, don't give up on it in the first few weeks, I see too many guys who leave after two or three sessions. Give it a chance. It takes time to see progress in Judo.

Again, thanks for letting me know about how you started off. As I said, nearly everybody where I'm training have been doing Judo, etc. One guy, who I was sparring with, was using his experience of MMA (the grappling) on me. As a result, I was a bit disconcerted. Then, another guy was really annoyed that I found the sparring difficult. I'm not denying the fact that he probably did make an effort to be easy on me, but got a bit frustrated. He kinda shouted at me to just do something. But I completely blanked. I was kinda annoyed over that, as some of the others were happy enough to just practise the moves we already learned on each other.

It's probably worth mentioning that I don't really have a good track record with sports, so I apologise if I am a bit unrealistic in my thinking. That, coupled with my coordination, I have been harsh to myself over my two sessions of Judo.
    Welcome to Judo, I hope the journey continues.. If you want to appreciate the journey you've just begun I'd highly recommend you buy 'The Pyjama Game', it'll bring you through one man's journey from his first day in the club to his black belt.

Well in fairness you've only been to two sessions, your being awfully hard on yourself. Your coordination should improve as your understanding of judo improves. As Doug said, Judo has a very steep learning curve and lets be honest about it, its a bloody tough style, try stick it out.

Re. partners going hard on you. Like I said, Judo is tough and you might be surprised to find out the lad probably is going easy with you, but since its all so alien to you your perception of your partners judo is that he's going tough.
    One or two things to consider, you've started at a busy period competition wise - yesterday was a national dan and kyu grading, next week is the Leinster Open then there's the Irish Open coming up, All Irelands etc. If you've in a particularly competitive club your just going to have to bare it out for awhile. However you could try ask one of the older lads who are not competing to bring you through your paces for awhile - they'll be complimented by you placing your confidence in them.

Sounds like your training in Wild Geese under Donal Tannam, if you are you've really landed on your feet. Donal teaches some beautiful Judo, a perfect gentleman.. If thats where you started I know who'd going rough with you - mention it to Donal, you won't have been the first to do so.

Most lads here on this forum will have started as a kid and dropped out only to take up a style in their adulthood, so we know where your coming from.

I'll cut straight to the point, if you like Judo but find its too hard to get to grips with (yes there's pun in there) or its too tough - getting thrown on your back hurts!, then you might consider taking a look at BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu).

Most clubs (BJJ) won't teach you the big throws that Judo has (Coolmine BJJ will, Luke's Judo out there is superb), it'll almost all be on the ground and you'll be pretty confident with most guys with in months - and you still get to wear your pyjamas!.

Judo for self defence?... Do you really need to learn self defence?.. I think it was Doug who said it here awhile back that he tells people your more likely to get hurt training in the club than you ever will on the street.

PM me if you wanna chat, I'll know the people in the club where your training and I'll give you a few pointers as to who best to approach - but right off the top of my head I'll tell you now that you should always bring your questions to your coach first - he used to be a white belt too!.

Thanks for your post. As I said previously, I am probably being too hard on myself, to the point where it is borderline insane. Also it is very true that I need to give it a while to fully appreciate it. Sorry if I was a bit rash in my post. I think you have the right coach, but I'll PM the club. Not that I've anything bad to say, I'd prefer to not chat about Clubs and Instructors on a public forum. Thanks for the heads up on the competitive Judo season at the moment.

What I meant by Self Defence is that I'm mostly interested in learning the different moves. I wouldn't exactly be gearing up to be competing in competitions at this stage. Although, that could change if I was interested later on. I'm just going to see how my first steps into Judo fare out. :D
    You've only done two sessions, it's going to take ages before you feel like you know what you're doing in sparring. It took me years. Years.

No one expects a beginner to go full on in sparring, but sometimes guys get a bit carried away. Let them know that they're going too hard.

Just try something. Don't worry too much about it.

Yes it's normal to feel lost. One of the biggest problems with judo is that it has a pretty steep learning curve. It takes ages before you start to feel like you know what you're doing.

Thanks for highlighting the learning curve in Judo. It's good to know that feeling lost and silly at it is not exactly abnormal :pac:.

I wouldn't exactly be gearing up to be competing in competitions at this stage. Although, that could change if I was interested later on. I'm just going to see how my first steps into Judo fare out. :D

hehe, your in for a rude awakening!..

You've just begun training in one of the more competitive styles out there in so far as to progress past your green belt your going to have to compete/fight for and win your blue, brown and black belts :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I think that youtube and the internet are actually not your friends right now. There's a lot of bad judo videos out there, and even with just the good resources, there is just so much information out there it's only going to confuse you further.

I wouldn't use the net for anything more than looking up the names of the throws and holds you've learned

Sorry, looking back at my reply I wasn't clear about what I was using the internet for. I agree 100% that learning Judo throws off the internet isn't a good idea. I used youtube to remember the names as I knew the mechanics of the throws but I couldn't for the life of me remember what they were called (Russian instructor teaching you Japanese names is sure to cause confusion). I then worked on practicing the movement of 1 throw at a time at home using the techniques that my instructor gave me but referencing the action against the web to learn the name. Then when I went to class I knew what throw he was asking me to practice. I found that this helped me, maybe not for everyone but I do agree that learning the actual throws off youtube is not a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

Hey, I think I actually know who you are. There's no better advice I can give you than has already been stated in this thread by people who know better than me.

If you are the person I think you are, I've sent you a PM. I have a serious issue with people who are too rough with beginners and who don't cultivate a fun, safe environment and do my best to stamp it out early on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Conor2010

Hi,
    I'm doing judo on and off for twenty years..As stated above most people will be understanding that you're just beginning.If someone is being overly rough say it to the coach.I train at Wild Geese and The Paul Cummins School of Judo, both clubs are very welcoming towards beginners.I'd urge you to stick with it, it's a very rewarding sport and 99% of the people involved within Ireland are really sound.

Conor2010 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm doing judo on and off for twenty years..As stated above most people will be understanding that you're just beginning.If someone is being overly rough say it to the coach.I train at Wild Geese and The Paul Cummins School of Judo, both clubs are very welcoming towards beginners.I'd urge you to stick with it, it's a very rewarding sport and 99% of the people involved within Ireland are really sound.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have decided to keep up with the challenge, and stick with the Judo. It's something different to what I normally do in my life, so obviously I'm going to be weary of it. I'm still trying to get to grips with it, but I guess it'll take time and patience. It's great exercise, even though I'm sore and bruised the day after. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 panjero

keep it up, i took up judo after 20 traes sitting on my ar.. so i know how feel, i was sore for ages and it took months for it to click, ignore the assh,,, you Wil always get one ,thankfully there
    are not many in judo

panjero wrote: »
    keep it up, i took up judo after 20 traes sitting on my ar.. so i know how feel, i was sore for ages and it took months for it to click, ignore the assh,,, you Wil always get one ,thankfully there
    are not many in judo

Thanks for the post. I know what you mean. I really do try not to let it bother me, but it's tough. Particularly when you are obviously the undesirable beginner in pair work. :o

Anyway, I have another query for those who can answer me. I've been to a few training sessions already. But, at each session, I'm always dreading the Randori. I realised this at my last training session. I'm kinda wondering at the moment whether it's even a good idea to continue with Judo even if this is the case. I know I've only been to about 5 sessions, so I'm not exactly going to be fighting strong. Also, it probably does take a while to be able to defend yourself properly. But I take it, since it is a competitive style, that Randori is pretty central to what is Judo. Would I be right in saying this? That said, it is something new to me so maybe that is why I dread it. I do find Judo interesting. But if that is the case, should I be having second thoughts? I'm probably just asking these questions due to being a bit out of my comfort zone after my last session (Sparring is not what I do on a regular basis), so apologies if I'm reading too much into my new challenge. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I'm probably just asking these questions due to being a bit out of my comfort zone after my last session

You can expect to be out of your comfort zone for probably the first few months of any martial art (particularly one as full-on as judo). You said it yourself, you've only been to 5 classes, so you can't expect to be up to speed on much yet. As almost every single thing you do now is new, it can feel overwhelming - at this stage, probably the best thing you can do is concentrate on a limited number of techniques (maybe 2-3) and try them out in randori until they feel a bit more natural. Then move on to 2-3 more techniques. And so on, so forth. Nobody is going to care that you're not kicking ass in your first few classes, so just take your time and you'll gradually feel more like you're treading water than drowning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Randori, as well as allowing you to practice techniques against a resisting opponent, also helps builds the strength and fitness you'll need if you want to take part in competitions.

Besides, you learn far more from 'losing' than you ever will from 'winning'.

FruitLover wrote: »
    You can expect to be out of your comfort zone for probably the first few months of any martial art (particularly one as full-on as judo). You said it yourself, you've only been to 5 classes, so you can't expect to be up to speed on much yet. As almost every single thing you do now is new, it can feel overwhelming - at this stage, probably the best thing you can do is concentrate on a limited number of techniques (maybe 2-3) and try them out in randori until they feel a bit more natural. Then move on to 2-3 more techniques. And so on, so forth. Nobody is going to care that you're not kicking ass in your first few classes, so just take your time and you'll gradually feel more like you're treading water than drowning.
    Randori, as well as allowing you to practice techniques against a resisting opponent, also helps builds the strength and fitness you'll need if you want to take part in competitions.

Besides, you learn far more from 'losing' than you ever will from 'winning'.

Thanks for the posts. I'll bear it in mind.

Advertisement