Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library Security

Options
  • 01-10-2011 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

Is it time to get a swipe card system for library entrance?

I know three friends who had phones stolen from the college last week, two in library one in main building.

There is obviously some serial thieves in operation; as a friend pointed out to me, anyone with half a brain who lives in the region could think to themselves (ah sure i'll head down to ul and scope myself out some new techy gizmos)

I saw two absolutely disgusting human beings walking around the library last week, clearly weren't students, eyeing up desks scoping out any gear on offer etc.

Furthermore, Ive also seen the yearly influx of the sixth year leaving certer coffee and abercrombie slut club make their first of what I assume will be nightly appearances. Again these people are clogging up the library and I wouldnt mind if they were studying, but it just seems to be a social gathering for them to discuss how they were locked on saturday after drinking 3 bottles of miller and how they gave mike thompson a handjob behind the local centra.

In my old college trinity and other colleges they have a swipe card system, why are we so kind in our library to allow non students (leaving certers and scumbags) access.?!

Seriously Daly needs to sort this **** out!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I think students are absolutely mad leaving their phones lying around. imagine paying 500 quid on an iphone and just leaving it on the desk as you go for a piss, lunch, smoke, chat. madness. it's almost as if they deserve to have their stuff stolen.

secondly, i wouldn't be as committed as the other poster to presuming the thieves are not ul students. could easily be, plenty of unsavory characters within the college ranks. you should never leave valuables unattended in college.

but i do agree, UL library is a free for all, little playground for leaving certers. this needs to be addresses by academic staff, su and security.

before we know it those gurriers from lit will be nicking books out of the ul library and putting them in lit

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

People leave their phones on their desks?

What do they read on the jacks?

there is a little section beside the toilets up stairs that has some nice light reading, i usually take a couple in with me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Plenty of laptops left unattended on desks inside there too, madness.

AFAIK, there is a swipe system coming in for the next academic year.
    I'm not sure there's any ban on non-UL students using the library, they have to walk past 'security' in their uniform on their way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daithi_lacha

there is a little section beside the toilets up stairs that has some nice light reading, i usually take a couple in with me

The TRC?? :D

Also, from what I've heard from VERY reliable sources in the know it is certainly in the pipeline to have swipecards to get into the library (we already have the cards)

• Advertisement

The TRC?? :D

Also, from what I've heard from VERY reliable sources in the know it is certainly in the pipeline to have swipecards to get into the library (we already have the cards)

Next year was what I was told. Still plenty of UL students floating around with the old cards (postgrads who have extensions, undergrads who haven't been home/who never got the new card) and there are other students who have cards but that don't work on the self-service machines so who may have issues with the swipe system.
    To coincide with the 6500m2 library expansion being finished, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

How the **** is this anything to do with Derek Daly? The owner and operator of the Library is University of Limerick, not ULSU. I suggest you readdress the target of your concerns appropriately.

You sound like you're on a bit of a wind up to be honest, I mean how much concern can a person who engages in this behaviour -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74696799&postcount=1469 have?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 LAC

I wouldnt mind if they were studying, but it just seems to be a social gathering for them to discuss how they were locked on saturday after drinking 3 bottles of miller and how they gave mike thompson a handjob behind the local centra.

All I have to say is fair play to Mike Thompson. :pac:

About the library itself, I presumed the new cards where sent out was for just that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭joey12

cson wrote: »
    How the **** is this anything to do with Derek Daly? The owner and operator of the Library is University of Limerick, not ULSU. I suggest you readdress the target of your concerns appropriately.

You sound like you're on a bit of a wind up to be honest, I mean how much concern can a person who engages in this behaviour -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74696799&postcount=1469 have?

My friend isn't Daly suppose to deal with student issues???? And whats going on in the library effects students learning. I would like to see the su do more to push for better study facilities. All I ever here is I grade this and I grade that :rolleyes:.

maybe the m&m's should be doing patrols in the library too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Then why don't you email him or arrange a time to meet him in his office? Bitching around here will get nothing done :rolleyes:

Oh and BTW, security have nothing to do with stuff being robbed. They are there to protect the buildings ad the property of the university and nothing else. That is why you keep your phone in your pocket, you double lock your bike and you don't leave your iPod plugged into your car stereo when you're in lectures for the day ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

I know three friends who had phones stolen from the college last week, two in library one in main building.

Had they taken them from their person and left them unattended? Would they do that in a bar or in another public area? Cavaet Emptor, Buyer Beware; shiny new toy that you like, others with less morals will also like and take if you leave alone. People rob churches; don't be surprised they rob college libraries too....
    There is obviously some serial thieves in operation

or some serial naivety....
    anyone with half a brain who lives in the region could think to themselves (ah sure i'll head down to ul and scope myself out some new techy gizmos)

Anyone with half a brain would take a basically fundamental precaution, such as taking your MOBILE phone with you when you become MOBILE!

In my old college trinity

Nice subtle mention of TCD....:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

cson wrote: »

sorry mister whiter than white, i'm sure you've never had any bit of a laugh in your life and have always played by the rules.
    get a grip mate, it's college, the laugh is there to be had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

constantg wrote: »
    Had they taken them from their person and left them unattended? Would they do that in a bar or in another public area? Cavaet Emptor, Buyer Beware; shiny new toy that you like, others with less morals will also like and take if you leave alone. People rob churches; don't be surprised they rob college libraries too....

or some serial naivety....

Anyone with half a brain would take a basically fundamental precaution, such as taking your MOBILE phone with you when you become MOBILE!

Nice subtle mention of TCD....:p

suppose you're prob one of those lads nicking stuff are ya?

suppose you're prob one of those lads nicking stuff are ya?

Oh TOTALLY.................Sure amn't I always taking the piss like!!!

Seriously when Damo Cahill was CSO, he went into the Library and left flyers (might have been stickers) on items like laptops, phones, ipods etc saying that 'This could have been stolen. Please take greater care of your personal belongings. ULSU working for you.' or words to that effect.

Perhaps a similar approach from the current CSO, or an email from aggrieved parties to him highlighting the issue and suggesting the same? Paddy's a pretty energetic chap once he gets an idea he likes or feels passionately about. Good man to run a campaign like this IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

sorry mister whiter than white, i'm sure you've never had any bit of a laugh in your life and have always played by the rules.

A criminal record isn't!

What a shame that people seem to forget the primary reason for coming to college is to get a degree....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

"One man's loss is another man's gain..."

i.e. your laugh is someone else's misfortune.

Who ever says this isn't a SU relevant cause is deluded. Do the su officers not sit on the same councils as people that make these decisions. If it's the will of the students, the SU officers should be lobbying on their behalf to the respective bodies. Tighter security on campus and in the libraries is needed, it's frankly not acceptable the amount of little neverdowells coming in stealing bikes and stuff from libraries.

Does anyone have any facts and figures on the number of assaults on campus?

it's frankly not acceptable the amount of little neverdowells coming in stealing bikes and stuff from libraries.

do libraries have many bikes??? :p

Also, the library boards this is horrific. I sat on it with reps from the four facs and the librarian.......Nothing accomplished. Nothing attempted and Head Librarian a f****ng nightmare beyond belief to deal with. Never in my life have I ever encountered a less grateful person.

need to start a college campus neightbourhood watch group. we can start by banning people walking dogs, people less than 18 years old and people travelling by horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Seriously when Damo Cahill was CSO, he went into the Library and left flyers (might have been stickers) on items like laptops, phones, ipods etc saying that 'This could have been stolen. Please take greater care of your personal belongings. ULSU working for you.' or words to that effect.

I can see Paddy doing that somehow.

Seriously, there's two sides to the coin here. On one hand, if people are stupid enough to leave things unattended in any public place, never mind the library, then they should expect it to be stolen. I know, human error and all that, but it just takes a small bit of common sense.

On the other hand, the security leaves a lot to be desired in the Library. It's supposed to be a place for the students to study, not a place for the leaving certers to come in and chat about their nights out. The sooner this swipe-card system comes in, the better.

Speaking on a general campus level, I'm with Sid's suggestion.

• Advertisement

OhMSGlive wrote: »

Seriously, there's two sides to the coin here. On one hand, if people are stupid enough to leave things unattended in any public place, never mind the library, then they should expect it to be stolen. I know, human error and all that, but it just takes a small bit of common sense.

On the other hand, the security leaves a lot to be desired in the Library. It's supposed to be a place for the students to study, not a place for the leaving certers to come in and chat about their nights out. The sooner this swipe-card system comes in, the better.

Speaking on a general campus level, I'm with Sid's suggestion.

You don't need a swipe card; if you don't have your student card on you @ all times when asked for it by security, you can be asked to leave the campus. Why they don't do this i'm not too sure...

Perhaps something along the lines of not peeing off the local community!

could you blame her for being ungrateful dealing with an alcoholic saucehead like you... the poor women should be knighted...you gave her some grief i'd say being drunk all the time :p

Was reasonably sober that day actually! Different Username, same malicious ****e I see.....care to tell us who you are this time?

You don't need a swipe card; if you don't have your student card on you @ all times when asked for it by security, you can be asked to leave the campus. Why they don't do this i'm not too sure...

By Swipe Card I mean the Uni Student Card. And why they don't do it is a mystery to me.

I could only see that working in terms of repeat offenses. Maybe if someone continues to use Dromroe as a toilet for their dog, despite being warned against already?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Who ever says this isn't a SU relevant cause is deluded. Do the su officers not sit on the same councils as people that make these decisions. If it's the will of the students, the SU officers should be lobbying on their behalf to the respective bodies. Tighter security on campus and in the libraries is needed, it's frankly not acceptable the amount of little neverdowells coming in stealing bikes and stuff from libraries.

Does anyone have any facts and figures on the number of assaults on campus?

Yup, we do. Aoife takes care of the Library stuff and I've to follow up on longer opening hours at exam time with Security. Asking nicely is how you get things done in UL. Shouting and being an asshole, even if I have engaged at times myself, serves no purpose other than the blinds to come down and your cause to be forgotten about.

Library security has already been raised and RFID student card access is on the way. Check with Aoife for an update on when.

Surprising as this is to many students, not every issue is the SU President's.
    I'll do it myself too if needs be. I did it 2 years ago with Ruán and Fergal and some volunteers.

Not all sabbats have used boards, and I don't read every thread. We have email addresses for people to contact us directly with issues.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

could you blame her for being ungrateful dealing with an alcoholic saucehead like you... the poor women should be knighted...you gave her some grief i'd say being drunk all the time :p

Sitebanned as you clearly only signed up to slander another poster

ninty9er wrote: »
    Library security has already been raised and RFID student card access is on the way. Check with Aoife for an update on when.
    Thanks for the update, ninty9er. That's good to hear.

Not so sure about that.

Cossax wrote: »
    Not so sure about that.

About which now?

EDIT: Just saw the bold bits. Yeah, in theory, that can be done, but has it ever happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

Just saw the bold bits. Yeah, in theory, that can be done, but has it ever happened?
    No, I don't think it can be doen. During orientation, someone said that UL is an "open campus", meaning anyone can take a stroll around it.

• Advertisement

kpac wrote: »
    No, I don't think it can be doen. During orientation, someone said that UL is an "open campus", meaning anyone can take a stroll around it.

Doesn't apply at nighttime, I think.

Advertisement