Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you wonder where the road tax goes..

Options
  • 01-10-2011 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

if you ever wondered why the potholes in galway are not fixed yet, its simply because they spent the money on '11 merc and its fuel driving it in weekends for personal use! Fáilte Gaillimh!

http://i51.tinypic.com/2ywu6x3.jpg

Does anybody know if public/govt cars can be used in weekends? and if not, where this photo can be forwarded? I will demand the thousands of euros I put in road taxes over the years, to see the result as 2011 merc, and more potholes!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Whats this.......'road tax' of which you speak? :confused:

Sounds like something that almost suggests.....a tax maybe.....that goes into paying for roads.........but.....i don't think we actually have that here in Ireland? Pity because you might actually have a sensible point to make otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Its called Motor Tax OP...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Galway.Pothole

motor tax is one of 2 systems under road tax.
    My point is, apart from recession and reduction of salaries and jobs.. etc they are still buying brand new mercs and drive them in weekends, and nothing is fixed (the system, the economy, and the county public areas!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

motor tax is one of 2 systems under road tax.
    My point is, apart from recession and reduction of salaries and jobs.. etc they are still buying brand new mercs and drive them in weekends, and nothing is fixed (the system, the economy, and the county public areas!)

Not to shoot you down again, but i very much doubt the merc is bought, more like leased. I'm sure there's a point to be made about if that is even necessary, but there is massive cost difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Is that the Mayors car in Galway????

• Advertisement

whats the difference between leased or bought? both ways, you pay, first one you pay more to get the privilege of changing the car every 5 years.. mind you, this car is bought from Cunningham Higgns, which is closed now :-) so if leased, they were forced to pay all, or just keeping paying with no car change after 5 years!

Sponge: Im full of hope its the mayors car, not his/her secretary!

p.s this car for brand new, begins at 58K euro for petrol engine with very basic options.. and ends at 115K.. check with western motors for verification - and for lease hire (you end up with same car or change every 5 years, it costs extra 15K+, either way, end up own it, or end up with new, you still need to pay its full price again and again PLUS very high interest rate)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The Mayor was at a Coffee morning in aid of the Galway Simon Community in St. Nicholas' this morning. This may surprise you OP, but she actually works weekends.

The corpo does not collect a single penny of Road Tax off anyone and never has, it must come from some 'smarter' travel slush fund instead. :D

good to hear.. give me a 2009 C class, and i will work 80 hours / 7 days / 365 with minimum wage.. fair play?

I hope homeless at simon were not disturbed to see the E class :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Das Kitty wrote: »
    The Mayor was at a Coffee morning in aid of the Galway Simon Community in St. Nicholas' this morning. This may surprise you OP, but she actually works weekends.
    Maybe some people think it's a 9 to 5 job?

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The corpo does not collect a single penny of Road Tax off anyone and never has, it must come from some 'smarter' travel slush fund instead. :D
    +1

amiable wrote: »
    Maybe some people think it's a 9 to 5 job?

you mean public servants by "some people"? or the ones who are wondering where all the taxes they pay to the govt go?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

@ Galway.Pothole get a life!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Is this about potholes or taxes or public servants??? Woeful thread which i've wasted my precious time reading when i could have been worrying where my taxes went.;)

Shanley wrote: »
    @ Galway.Pothole get a life!

I have a life, a proper one. you get a life rather than advocating a public "servant" not "master"... unless you benefit from taxes, i.e not paying, creaming the dole

Is this about potholes or taxes or public servants??? Woeful thread which i've wasted my precious time reading when i could have been worrying where my taxes went.;)

ben, you must be joking.. from where they pay the public servants? from your pocket or from the taxes we pay (excluding you?).. sorry for wasting your time, here.. just unfollow the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭mightdomighty

I have a life, a proper one. you get a life rather than advocating a public "servant" not "master"... unless you benefit from taxes, i.e not paying, creaming the dole

Don't think he was advocating anything of the sort in fairness, I think they were just pointing out a misdirected opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Motor Tax goes into central Government funds as far as i know, local Councils collect it, but don't have access to it.
    Anyways, i don't see any problem with the mayor having use of such a car, as said already, it;s probably leased.
    On a slightly different note, such a car has a much smaller carbon foorprint compared to a Prius considering the enviromental impact the production of the hybrid battery has, so it's good to have a more enviromentally friendly vehicle.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Consider firing a missive to Herself and ask her about her transport.
    As far as I know, the Council requires a tender and it is leased for a year.

......and it's an IBTL from moi! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Nice Car, bit of a downer that the mercedes dealership went out of business...

Will the Mayor shop local for 2012 and settle for a Jaguar , Audi etc from a local dealer? or will they opt to buy another Mercedes from a dealership out of town?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Nice Car, bit of a downer that the mercedes dealership went out of business...

Will the Mayor shop local for 2012 and settle for a Jaguar , Audi etc from a local dealer? or will they opt to buy another Mercedes from a dealership out of town?
    One of the Glaway dealers that isn't a Mercedes Dealer could order a Mercedes next year no problem
    You don't have to be a main dealer to supply a certain make of car.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement