Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Irish Family - doing lomo before it was popular or profitable.

• 01-10-2011 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

I had dinner in the mother in laws house last week and I was handed what used to pass for the family camera. I was told it never worked right that half the time when the film when processed it came back blank with a note from the chemist saying that it appeared that no photos had been taken on the roll. There was a statment made that even when a picture was successful they always looked terrible.
    I was handed the camera and was told I should try and take something with it for a laugh.

I loaded a roll of Agfa Vista 200, I then reloaded it because it did not spool correctly I managed it the third time. Without pressing the shutter once I had already used 4 shots. I can see why people got annoyed with these in the olden days. I can just imagine all the weddings, christenings and family outings that people do not have pictures of because of this camera.

The Halina 160 is a 35mm compact camera with a built-in flash
    Single speed shutter of around 1/125s and the aperture is set using the ISO settings button 100/200, 400 and 1000. It is the most plastic camera I have every held and I own a holga. When you turn on the on-camera flash it sounds like the sound barrier being broken and you could use it to take x-rays. This camera screams Lomo and if it was still being manufactured it would be on sale in Urban Outfitters for €80.

I shot through the roll of film on a miserable grey day while out with a group of photowalkers and I am tickled by the results. I sent a link to them to my Mother in law and she does not believe it is from the same camera that was used to ruin many a happy family outings.

Were you or your family doing lomo before it was popular or profitable?

6198591667_a2b3d8179b_z.jpg
    Monumental (Halina 35mm) by okmqaz42, on Flickr

6198601557_fc2e9bc154_z.jpg
    Final Stop (Halina 35mm) by okmqaz42, on Flickr

6199110020_f0b2060c96_z.jpg
    Formal (Halina 35mm) by okmqaz42, on Flickr

6198591125_1f0c94826e_z.jpg
    Black and Amber (Halina 35mm) by okmqaz42, on Flickr

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

those are awesome pics! i really like those! :D
    my family did the polaroid thing when i was a kid... though when i was 9, i was given a 110 camera and i used to have those long flash sticks that you stuck into the top. there were only 5 flashes in a stick. i must dig up some aul photos that i took with it and scan em!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 scr33n

Great photos :-)

I first got a lomo in 1996 and shot the thing for years until it fell apart, I had a love hate relationship with it and the hit vs miss rate wasn't always great but I loved the unpredictability of the results.

As for popular and profitable, the lomography guys have done well out of it!

2185513151_91e735e21c_z.jpg?zz=1

Advertisement