Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Un-used train ticket

Options
  • 01-10-2011 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    The other day I purchased a train ticket online for €30. I collected my ticket at the station yesterday and immediately recieved a phone call telling me I needed to go home due to a family emergency.
    The ticket was not clipped by an inspector, nor stamped by the guy on the platform.
    Do Irish Rail offer an exhange in these circumstances? I am getting the train to Dublin on Monday and Im wondering if they will issue me a different one or can it still be used, eventhough the date of return on the ticket says October 1st?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ap1986

Hi,
    The other day I purchased a train ticket online for €30. I collected my ticket at the station yesterday and immediately recieved a phone call telling me I needed to go home due to a family emergency.
    The ticket was not clipped by an inspector, nor stamped by the guy on the platform.
    Do Irish Rail offer an exhange in these circumstances? I am getting the train to Dublin on Monday and Im wondering if they will issue me a different one or can it still be used, eventhough the date of return on the ticket says October 1st?

Thanks.
    i doubt it cos some tickets are never checked or clipped even when used on a journey so if you go to the ticket office and explain your case they will think you are tryin to pull a fast one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Put simply, IR will not give you anything. The train was available, you didn't take it, and it's not their fault that the ticket expired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

http://www.irishrail.ie/home/terms_and_conditions.asp
    Changes and cancellations

Passengers wishing to travel on the same day, but on an alternative train other than the time shown on their ticket, can do so provided seats are available, by paying a surcharge. The surcharge of up to €40 should be paid at the booking office before boarding the train. If a booking office is not open the surcharge must be paid on board the train. All tickets are only valid for travel on the dates printed on the ticket only.

Failure to produce a valid ticket, appropriate ID or surcharge where necessary will result in a fine of €100 together with the relevant unpaid fare.

Change and Cancellation charges apply. Cancellation requests made after the dates printed on the ticket cannot be facilitated. Bookings that have not been cancelled prior to the expiry date on the ticket are not eligible for refund.

To cancel a reservation call the Iarnród Éireann Call Centre or alternatively send an email - contact details below. In order to qualify for a refund, cancelled tickets must be submitted to Iarnród Éireann within 28 days of the expiry date as printed on the ticket. Cancelled tickets should be submitted to Iarnród Éireann Travel Centre, 35 Lower Abbey Street, Dublin 1

The following refund rules apply:
    • Cancelled up to day before travel - 80% refund on the ticket price.
    • Cancelled on day of travel - 50% refund on the ticket price.
    • All cancellations must be made before time of travel to be considered eligible for refund.
    • Tickets must be submitted to the address shown above before a refund can be processed
    • No refund on transaction and credit card fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Explains the lot. Thanks for that!
    Guess that's 30 quid down the drain. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Henrib

Whilst booking a ticket online with IR a few months back, I went back a screen to check the train time before purchasing but if you go back on their website it always reloads the date to 'todays date'. I purchased and noticed immediately I had a ticket for the same day so I called their customer service and the chap said 'ya that happens to loads of people'! I asked to just change the date, he said computer doesn't allow it so I requested a refund but because it was within a 24 hour period I was being charged % for failing to cancel before 24 hour period began! I asked to speak to a supervisor and despite appealing to her better nature and explaining that it defaulted back to that days date there was no leniency on her part so it cost me. Yes I appreciate I should have double checked before clicking purchase but thats what I was doing when I hit the back button. So unless very very very stuck I will not travel with them again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement