Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video editing laptop

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 karablack037

If you do video editing, the amount of memory is crucial. You should get at least 8GIG of RAM or more. I'd recommend this laptop under 1K, comes in 4GIG of ram.
    Get ASUS N53SV-XV1, it's a good laptop for video editing http://goo.gl/cyBoc
    15.6-Inch Versatile Entertainment Laptop
    Intel Core i7-2630QM Quad-Core Processor 2.0 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz; 500GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
    4GB of DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM, 4 slots, 16GB Max; Nvidia GT540M Graphics with 1GB DDR3 VRAM; Super-Multi Optical Disk Drive
    15.6-INCH FULL HD (1920x1080) LED Display; HDMI Port; VGA Port; 2.0MP Webcam; Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Operating System

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Better than the above one ya? they both work out at almost the same price.
    Have to buy more ram for the bottom one though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

There's a lot of BS talked about RAM amounts to be honest. 6GB is sufficient, try it at that upgrade if you need to, but I dont think you will unless you are working with 4K footage and having 6 instances of Vegas open or something. If rendering time matters to you, then you want the fastest CPU you can afford and/or a laptop with an accelerated graphics chip that supports CUDA which uses the GPU to render video in addition to the CPU.

No I'm not too worried about the render,quite happy to let it go for whatever lenght it may take.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 shellyhowell

If you do video editing, the amount of memory is crucial. You should get at least 8GIG of RAM or more. I'd recommend this laptop under 1K, comes in 4GIG of ram.
    Intel Core i7-2630QM Quad-Core Processor 2.0 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz; 500GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
    4GB of DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM, 4 slots, 16GB Max; Nvidia GT540M Graphics with 1GB DDR3 VRAM; Super-Multi Optical Disk Drive
    15.6-INCH FULL HD (1920x1080) LED Display; HDMI Port; VGA Port; 2.0MP Webcam; Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Operating System

Nice reply... thanx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't know why anyone would want to spend over the odds on a laptop. They are a complete dead end.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't know why anyone would want to spend over the odds on a laptop. They are a complete dead end.

Can't be bringing a desktop everywhere I go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

ScumLord wrote: »

Curious what you would regard as a non dead-end laptop that's suitable for HD video editing? I wouldn't regard €719 over as over the odds for a laptop intended to edit HD video. I'd say this is a good compromise, neither bottom end nor paying paying over the odds ala 5% performance improvement for 20% extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Curious what you would regard as a non dead-end laptop that's suitable for HD video editing? I wouldn't regard €719 over as over the odds for a laptop intended to edit HD video. I'd say this is a good compromise, neither bottom end nor paying paying over the odds ala 5% performance improvement for 20% extra cost.
    All laptops are dead end, I think if your buying a PC to be a tool for a specific task then you shouldn't just make do with a laptop. They're over priced, under powered and can't really be improved easily so if new software comes out you could end up needing a nee laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    No I'm not too worried about the render,quite happy to let it go for whatever lenght it may take.

I think you will be singing a different tune later. You have to transcode footage at the very start sometimes, render between different resolutions and framerates, render effects, do test exports and exports with different codecs for different purposes....

If I were buying a new machine for editing my top priority would be the processor. Skimp on the processor and you'll find yourself staring out the window and rearranging your desk a lot while you wait for a progress bar to inch along.

RAM is very rarely the bottle-neck for editing, CPU and graphics card are. When I'm rendering from Final Cut my processor goes to max capacity while the RAM is often half empty, and this while using 1080p.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ruthjohnson

GO WITH THE ASUS models. you have good instincts my frined, the ASUS models are the best laptops on the market. there isn't even a debate when their name is in the ring.

Just on that,seems I can't order off amazon.com,says it won't deliver outside of the us or am I doing something wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I'm using Final Cut Express on a 2010 i7 iMac with 4GB RAM. No problems at all. Works like a charm (the other 4GB is allocated to W7 via Parallels). That said I'm only editing SD footage.

I'd imagine that laptop would be fine.

I'd like to get it but can't seem to find online anywhere(bar american websites) so I'll have to look for alternatives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

A viable option would be a Dell Inspiron 15R/17R

Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.20 Ghz
    6GB of RAM
    nVidia GEForce GT 525M

The 2670 is a slightly higher clocked 2630 so it will be a little faster at video encoding.
    The GT 525M has CUDA support so will help encode video faster too.

The 15R is only €729 and if you visit the Dell Deals page there is a coupon code at the top that will get you the 17R for €750

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    A viable option would be a Dell Inspiron 15R/17R

Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.20 Ghz
    6GB of RAM
    nVidia GEForce GT 525M

The 2670 is a slightly higher clocked 2630 so it will be a little faster at video encoding.
    The GT 525M has CUDA support so will help encode video faster too.

The 15R is only €729 and if you visit the Dell Deals page there is a coupon code at the top that will get you the 17R for €750

I think 6GB is as high as you can go with the ram though,might go for the xps 17 instead,€945 with the coupon
    http://www.dell.com/ie/p/xps-l702x/fs

The memory controller on the 2670QM can take up to 16GB of RAM and the Inspiron 17R has two RAM slots so I see no reason for 6GB to be it's max.

The memory controller on the 2670QM can take up to 16GB of RAM and the Inspiron 17R has two RAM slots so I see no reason for 6GB to be it's max.

O,well I was going by there tech spec page,I thought they would list how much ram it could take like with the xps if that makes any sense
    http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-17r-n7110/pd.aspx?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/xps-l702x/pd?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

I think what they list is just the upgrades they let you make to the laptop before you buy it, if you got the Inspiron 17R and found that the 6GB or RAM wasn't enough you could just buy a second 4GB module and switch it out for the 2GB module so you'd have 8GB, or go buy two 8GB modules and have the full 16GB.

I think what they list is just the upgrades they let you make to the laptop before you buy it, if you got the Inspiron 17R and found that the 6GB or RAM wasn't enough you could just buy a second 4GB module and switch it out for the 2GB module so you'd have 8GB, or go buy two 8GB modules and have the full 16GB.

Just checked a few sites there for it and they say 8GB is the max.
    http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/compatible-memory-for/Dell/Inspiron+17R/list.html
    http://www.memorystock.com/memory/DellInspiron17RN7010.html
    (although I dunno how reliable they are)
    Maybe I should just email them

• Advertisement

If your still looking OP,
    When you look at the Dell homepage at the bottom left there is a "Employee Discounts - members only" link under the Shop menu. In there is where I found the laptop. Apparently I get an employee discount even though I have no relationship with the company

I bought it last night, but up'ed the graphics card to a nVidia GeForce GT 555M, added a backlit keyboard and a 9 cell battery, price was closer to 900 with all that, but it should be a great laptop.

Here is the link into the Employee discounts shop. There is two good XPS's there, I went with the 17" one. And if you use the coupon code from the Dell Deals page you will get another 10% off either of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Just on that,seems I can't order off amazon.com,says it won't deliver outside of the us or am I doing something wrong?

Its common for the US site to not deliver here. Have you tried amazon.co.uk

Just in case there's any other recommendations,think I'm gonna invest in the Dell Xps 17 during the week.Meant to get this way earlier but things came up.
    Comes to €908 if I add in the theft tracker thing and go through the student section of the dell website.
    Might through this up on the laptop section of boards too

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kris71

I have a Toshiba that is over 3 years old with 2gb memory and core duo. runs vegas 10 with no problem never had crashes working with hd vid (ok I admit sometimes it freezes but very rarely and not for long) key is just keep your system clean ;) also depends on the length of the movies you will be working on (at least when it comes to rendering)

And as it has been pointed out before if you really want a powerful tool you should go for desktop

kris71 wrote: »
    I have a Toshiba that is over 3 years old with 2gb memory and core duo. runs vegas 10 with no problem never had crashes working with hd vid (ok I admit sometimes it freezes but very rarely and not for long) key is just keep your system clean ;) also depends on the length of the movies you will be working on (at least when it comes to rendering)

And as it has been pointed out before if you really want a powerful tool you should go for desktop

I'd go for the desktop only I'm moving between my home house and my college house to often

Sure mate, I don't have a desktop either for same reason, I think that as long as you don't make a living out of it and you just work on your own small projects you will be just fine with a laptop ;)

Sure mate, I don't have a desktop either for same reason, I think that as long as you don't make a living out of it and you just work on your own small projects you will be just fine with a laptop ;)

Nah its just for editing footage I record off the xbox/ps3,nightmare at the minute with my current laptop

If its just about trimming windows move maker will do just fine %)

If its just about trimming windows move maker will do just fine %)

No I'll be clipping stuff together,transitions,effects,audio,intro's whatever else i learn how to do on vegas.Might try out cinema 4d for a bit too

• Advertisement
Advertisement