Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the rough cost for re-slating a small cottage?

• 01-10-2011 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

I'm looking at buying a house.
    The roof is currently water tight but a number of slates have moved and being poorly repaired, the chimney also need re-plastering.
    It's a small cottage with a roof area measuring about 6x6m. Roughly, what would be the cost of getting the roof re-slated, using the existing slates and replacing damaged ones? also is it possible to put insulation between the roof timbers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

If the tiles are set properly and the roof timbers are not rotten or damaged, you may be able to do an all in one job using spray on insulation. This performs 2 functions. 1.) It will hold the tiles firmly in place. 2.) It insulates. We used this solution several times during refurbishment of old buildings in military installation instead of a reslating and insulating which is about 8 times more expensive.

In your case it sounds like all you may need to do is get the roof tiles that have moved, reset and then spray on the insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭98-00

I've seen houses where spray o insulation was used, it looked very messy. What would the cost of your suggestion compared to the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

If it's in the attic, who cares if its messy but it was done well in our locations.If the underside of your roof is visible from inside you'ld have to dry line. Can't remember how much it cost (€40 per sq m rings a bell).

Thanks for that.
    Anyone know the cost of redoing the slates?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Is it an A roof, if so, what's the length and width of the house and i'll tell you what it would roughly cost you to reroof the full cottage and point and reflash/seal the chimney/s. A picture would be useful.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I don't have a pic. It's an A roof, 5m wide by 6m deep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

€5,500k

Advertisement