Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade or a new build?

Options
  • 01-10-2011 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭

Hello Everyone,
    My brother received a top of the range gaming pc for Christmas a few years back. He didn't really use it after it broke down soon after he got it. He's moved onto college now and my Dad got the pc fixed just the other day and It's now mine to do what I want with it.
    Here's the specs.

NZXT Apollo Blue case w/window
    Corsair vx450 Watt power supply
    Asus M2N32-Sli Deluxe MoBo
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3.0ghz
    4GB Crucial DDR2 RAM
    Point Of View GeForce 8600GTS 256mb
    Hitachi Deskstar 500gb hard drive
    Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio
    Two DVD+Rw Burners

It's running XP.
    So should I upgrade a few pieces or is it a hopless cause and just build a new one?

Thanks everyone,
    Eboggles

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 KamSaw

If it's working fine then there's no reason you couldn't throw a better gpu in there, otherwise you'd have to replace 70% of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

KamSaw wrote: »
    If it's working fine then there's no reason you couldn't throw a better gpu in there, otherwise you'd have to replace 70% of it
    That's great what gpu would you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 KamSaw

Eboggles wrote: »
    That's great what gpu would you recommend?

Depends if you want to game intensively on it since there's kind of a threshold when the cpu will bottleneck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Look up the ATI 6770 graphics card (or 5770, same thing) - should set you back about 90 euros new.

Assuming you have a normal 19 to 22 inch monitor then with that card you will be able to play most games smoothly, even the latest games will be passable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

A GPU upgrade like a 6770 or even a 6850 would work well for that system. You could also get a newer tri or quad core to give the system a bit more power.
    Phenom II X4 9xx or Athlon II X4 6xx would be the best to choose from.
    Here's the CPU compatibility list.
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2/M2N32SLI_DeluxeWireless_Edition/#CPUS
    There may be more CPUs compatible from the same families not listed here but the more power hungry 125W ones are probably not; stick to 95W or below.

• Advertisement
Advertisement