Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pastry Cases

Options
  • 01-10-2011 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

I am looking for a pre-cooked pastry base. I have called Dunnes, Marks & Spencers, and Tesco but none of them have any.

Does anyone know where I could get one? Somewhere in Dublin city centre.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Is it the mini pastry cases or bigger ones?

The big ones are usually available in Dunnes and Tesco has the smaller ones, strange that the ones you checked didn't have them did you check in the other isles rather than the baking section, Tesco usually have them where the custard is and Dunnes usually have them where the biscuits and jams etc. are.

Do you have a Costcutters near you? They have the bigger ones there too.

I'm useless with pastry so they're a godsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

Thanks a mill. Its the large ones, I think 7inches. I got some the last time in Dunnes, but haven't really seen them. Even the smaller ones would do.

I tried with the frozen pastry today, and was a disaster! I don't know why I can deal it!

I will have another look in Dunnes and Tesco, but not holding much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kathleenl

Hi cute_cow.
    I have never seen pastry bases but you say in your thread that you tried the frozen kind and it didn't work.

If you are willing to try it again i suggest that you use phyllo pastry or flakie pastry. The other kind isn't really up to the mark. If you wanted to make a really nice pastry surprise you could use squares of phyllo pastry cut into 3 inch squares. Get some grease proof paper, place one piece of phyllo pastry on it then rub it with a little beaten egg or milk, add another piece of phyllo pastry angle ways to the first (it should look like a star). Get your choice of filling put in 1 desert spoon of this and bring up the edges until it looks like a little bag at this stage you can use a little string (not thread) tie it loosely around the neck of the little bag, leave a little opening at the top to allow steam to escape. You should be able to fit 12 on a tray, you will have to keep an eye on them when your baking them as they phyllo pastry can cook very quickly. The best suggestion i could give you is to have the mixture cooked before hand so it will take very little time bake everything approximately 10minutes. If you wash the parcels with egg or milk they will turn a lovely nut brown. Also when everything is cooled down sufficiently before serving you could pump in a little cream and let it leak out of the pouch a little. The string that is holding the neck of the parcel together can be cut off before serving. They are really mouth watering. I made them last year with stewed apple and fresh cream... only problem i didn't make enough of them (30) you'd think there would be enough. This year i am going to be making the same little stars but i am going to put them into muffin trays and bake them open. All i will have to do then is fill them and have them ready for desert or use them as a starter. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I've seen these in Dunnes and Tescos lots of times, in the home baking or bread/biscuits aisle.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pixie001

I saw the large and mini cases in Marks and Spencer today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

What size and quantity are you looking for..?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

Thanks a mil for the replies. It's shortcrust pastry cases. Either 7 or 9 inches.
    I am going to go Marks and Spencers off Henry street tomorrow night and hopefully find them. If not can pop into Dunnes on Henry Street.
    Thanks again :-)

Advertisement