Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live music in Galway city

Options
  • 01-10-2011 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all just moved to Galway this week.
    I am gong to town tonight hopefully to hear some live music dont know where to go or any Galway bands. Dont like run of the millpop etc, I like blues, rock older style music once its upbeat and played well I'm happy if anyone could point me in the right direction I would really appreacite it.

Thanks Peter!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Kellys on Bridge St have The Lazy Blues band upstairs tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

My personal favourite is glass onion band they play in the quays every thursday I'm sure they play elsewhere too first time I saw them was ata wedding there pretty cool

http://www.theglassonionband.ie/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Peter-Byrne-and-The-Glass-Onion-Band/245446652166434

It says on thier facebook there in o'connells tonight doing acoustic I may pop alnong never heard them acoustic before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 peterjfahy

In oconnells now cant see a stage or even space for a band. Is someone having a laugh?

Maybe wrong oconnells eyre square?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Townhouse has decent bands depending on the night you go in - deffo blues and rock bands some nights.

• Advertisement

eagle10 wrote: »
    My personal favourite is glass onion band they play in the quays every thursday I'm sure they play elsewhere too first time I saw them was ata wedding there pretty cool

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Peter-Byrne-and-The-Glass-Onion-Band/245446652166434

It says on thier facebook there in o'connells tonight doing acoustic I may pop alnong never heard them acoustic before

They are out the back!
    These guys are pretty good was talking to them they told me with the band they are much more lively.
    Hes a great singer his own songs are really good too, the guitar player is actually very good cant wait to see them with the band.
    Im going to the quays thursday.
    Thanks for the advice:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

peterjfahy wrote: »
    Maybe wrong oconnells eyre square?
    That's the place. The band comes on quite late, it's in the corner opposite the outside bar (usually the left beer garden.).

Also try the Quays and Kings Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

If you need to recover today theres a brill Sunday Blues session in Muddy Mahers in Woodquay 4-6. Be prepared for them to run out of booze though.

If you need to recover today theres a brill Sunday Blues session in Muddy Mahers in Woodquay 4-6. Be prepared for them to run out of booze though.

Which band is doing the Sundsay session these days? Or Is it a loose session with lots of musicians?

Its the usual guys, John, Cormac and the Aussie? guy with occasional guests. Didnt make it myself today. Had to have a siesta after the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Caggles

Big Bag of Sticks

After an invitation to perform at German band "Across The Border"20th anniversary show in Germany , Big Bag of Sticks will perform two exclusive shows in Ireland, one of these being Monroes Tavern GalwayOct 13th,doors 9pm.Adm 10 euro. They will also perform Oct 14th in The Crane Lane Theatre. They are delighted to be returning to Cork and Galway.

Big Bag of Sticks formed in 1990 when they met in Galway. The bands members are Irish, English and Scottish, with varying musical influences. Although based on a traditional style, they are a hard band to pin down to one genre. They may be loosely described as a folk, punk, reggae band but other genres can also be found in their music. Although they decided to disband in the late nineties, they get together occassionally to perform, much to the delight of their long lasting fanbase.

They have toured in many countries and performed at acclaimed festivals such as Montreux Jazz Festival with Altan and The Pogues.
    The last major event they performed at was The Volvo Ocean Race when it came to Galway in 2009.

With four part vocal harmonies, instrumental harmonies between fiddle and mandolin/electric guitar, the driving rhythm between the acoustic guitar, bass guitar and drums, they really know how to capture the attention of an audience. There is never an empty dance floor when Big Bag of Sticks play!
    website links:
    myspace.com/bigbagofsticks
    Big Bag of Sticks on Facebook
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BigBagofSticks

Caggles wrote: »
    Big Bag of Sticks

After an invitation to perform at German band "Across The Border"20th anniversary show in Germany , Big Bag of Sticks will perform two exclusive shows in Ireland, one of these being Monroes Tavern GalwayOct 13th,doors 9pm.Adm 10 euro. They will also perform Oct 14th in The Crane Lane Theatre. They are delighted to be returning to Cork and Galway.

Big Bag of Sticks formed in 1990 when they met in Galway. The bands members are Irish, English and Scottish, with varying musical influences. Although based on a traditional style, they are a hard band to pin down to one genre. They may be loosely described as a folk, punk, reggae band but other genres can also be found in their music. Although they decided to disband in the late nineties, they get together occassionally to perform, much to the delight of their long lasting fanbase.

They have toured in many countries and performed at acclaimed festivals such as Montreux Jazz Festival with Altan and The Pogues.
    The last major event they performed at was The Volvo Ocean Race when it came to Galway in 2009.

With four part vocal harmonies, instrumental harmonies between fiddle and mandolin/electric guitar, the driving rhythm between the acoustic guitar, bass guitar and drums, they really know how to capture the attention of an audience. There is never an empty dance floor when Big Bag of Sticks play!
    website links:
    myspace.com/bigbagofsticks
    Big Bag of Sticks on Facebook
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BigBagofSticks

Jaysus Caggles! Don't be spammin' all the threads

(although it will likely be a great night - old skool! like ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

I have to recommend Muddy's in Woodquay for their live music acts in general. Anytime I've been there, it has always been impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Phantom Crapper

ahhh, the classic irish comment...
    couldn't leave them with organising a good gig...had to get the dig in....

They never run out of alcohol!

You clearly dont go in there very often. Its like playing Russian Roulette wondering what is going to be available there on any given day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

anyone know offhand of any gigs around town tomorrow evening?
    cheers.

ahhh, the classic irish comment...
    couldn't leave them with organising a good gig...had to get the dig in....

They never run out of alcohol!

They most definitely do. I have witnessed it myself - and have lost a bunch of customers because of it. Some good music there, but nowhere near as much as when they started and were a dedicated 'Blues' pub. Pity.

inisboffin wrote: »
    They most definitely do. I have witnessed it myself - and have lost a bunch of customers because of it. Some good music there, but nowhere near as much as when they started and were a dedicated 'Blues' pub. Pity.

Ah...I meant that there's always something to drink.
    I don't go in very often, only once or twice a week, as I don't live nearby.
    But I do find that the pro's of the place far outweigh the con's.
    All lager seems pretty much the same to me, I prefer top shelf stuff.
    Staff are always good, friendly and efficient. The music policy is a bit mixed, but I was told that the jazz and blues tag was putting off some customers, so they decided to loosen up a bit. I still reckon tis a fine bar, but could do with being in a better part of town. All the other pubs in the area aren't exactly salubrious...if that's the right word.

Ah...I meant that there's always something to drink.
    I don't go in very often, only once or twice a week, as I don't live nearby.
    I still reckon tis a fine bar,

Ah now Phantom Crapper, come on! 8 of your 9 posts on Boards are about this pub! Including one about the other Muddys in Kinsale! :rolleyes:

I think you reeeeaaaallly like it there! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Caggles

Sorry if you thought I was spamming not intentional...just promoting,apologies if it has offended....but it will be a good night,lots of dancing!!

• Advertisement

Caggles wrote: »
    Sorry if you thought I was spamming not intentional...just promoting,apologies if it has offended....but it will be a good night,lots of dancing!!

Only slagging ya! Best of luck with the night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Lúnasa are playing in Monroes tonight. If you are into your trad, these guys are the business!

I think you reeeeaaaallly like it there! :p[/QUOTE]

I'm a fan of this concept, tbh. (and I do move around the country a bit)
    But I'm also a fan of anyone that makes an effort in a recession....

Only problem I have with the place is the shortage of drink. The management and staff are the best Ive seen since the 80s. They know your name, bring drinks to the table if they can etc. They really make it feel like a local. Its embarrassing for them to have to spend half the time telling customers 'we dont have x,y,z' and so on.
    The music policy had to be tweaked really as the market would be too small for a pure Blues venue. However its still different to any other pub with its singer-songwriter, open mic nights etc. At least its not the usual recycled cover bands that seem to have taken over town for the last few years.
    I still think a bit of advertising at the beginning would have worked wonders but at least people in College are starting to hear about it now and so far (touch wood) its not attracting the less desirable college types.
    Fingers crossed things will work out for them and the logistics can be sorted out.

Only problem I have with the place is the shortage of drink. The management and staff are the best Ive seen since the 80s. They know your name, bring drinks to the table if they can etc. They really make it feel like a local. Its embarrassing for them to have to spend half the time telling customers 'we dont have x,y,z' and so on.
    The music policy had to be tweaked really as the market would be too small for a pure Blues venue. However its still different to any other pub with its singer-songwriter, open mic nights etc. At least its not the usual recycled cover bands that seem to have taken over town for the last few years.
    I still think a bit of advertising at the beginning would have worked wonders but at least people in College are starting to hear about it now and so far (touch wood) its not attracting the less desirable college types.
    Fingers crossed things will work out for them and the logistics can be sorted out.

I assume Phantom Crapper meant 'Blues Pub' when they said 'a fan of this concept'. I too was a fan of the concept, and understood that Blues was a loose enough concept to incorporate Jazz/Blues Blues Rock, Country Blues, Americana etc.
    I really thing if they'd stuck with it, custom would have built up over time. But I'm not a pub owner. The great bands and the speciality beer that they had at the beginning showed great promise. I *wanted* to come there and support them. Obviously money was a factor, a lot of the bands changed to younger, all genred music (cheaper maybe?) and open mics (which is free music), and a very poor beer selection. Just not *my* cuppa tea, but moreso of the friends I used to come in with. The crowd is younger, different music. But for me 'not trad' isn't a big enough draw. I can get the same downstairs in the Cellar, and in other pubs with a choice of beer for my friends.
    Maybe they will get a different college crowd, and if they do, fair play.

I wouldn't go knocking the area either, Phantom Crapper, or all the other pubs in Wood Quay as not being 'Salubrious'. I have been in Hughes' for example, on more than one occasion, when it has been *wedged* with farmers, artists, musicians, office workers, tourists etc, all having great craic and drinking good Guinness - seems healthy enough to me! ;)

Woodquay is prob the best part of town to drink in. It covers whatever mood ur in all within a little square but away from the messers.
    Trad/Ballads: BnaC.
    Sport: Goalpost.
    Posh+food: McSwiggins.
    Racing+drinking: Hughes.
    Blues/Folk: Muddys.
    Lone pint: Central.
    Students: Hole In The Wall.

Also two bookies, a shop, a park, a church, a theatre and a river within 50 yards.

Where else would you get it?

Edit: + A Taxi rank AND a taxi office.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

eagle10 wrote: »

Ah now eagle10, self praise is no praise... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

might as well throw this in here..

there is a battle of the bands starting in the townhouse bar tomorrow night starting at 8pm...
    it will be interesting to see what the local talent is like as its based on original songs!

might as well throw this in here..

there is a battle of the bands starting in the townhouse bar tomorrow night starting at 8pm...
    it will be interesting to see what the local talent is like as its based on original songs!

Yeah, had a look at the FB page. Surprised to see some of the more professional gigging bands in there (but good for punters!) like The Rye and Sumbrellas, a fair few newcomers, including (I think) the guy who posted his 'Eastside' vid in the Galway forum recently. There should be some good nights.

• Advertisement

Where is the stage in The Townhouse? Only been in a couple of times but it looks very small for a band.

Advertisement