Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting a HR licence in WA

Options
  • 01-10-2011 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

has anyone here gotten a HR licence in WA or Australia for that matter?
    what is the procedure for getting one and how much does it cost?
    if you have a rigid licence here in ireland can it be transfered over to an australian HR?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I couldn't transfer my truck licence to a QLD one when I was there. I think WA is the same.

You will have to sit your test again. If you do it in a truck with a synchro box your licence will limit you to a synchro box which is pretty useless as nearly every large lorry out there has an Eaton/Fuller crash box in it.

Lad I know did his in Perth not to long ago. Think it cost him about $1000 by the time all was done. That was for the artic

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

You will have to sit the practical test again. It can cost up to $1000 but you can get a package if you are really confident about passing. Costs about $400 for a 2 hour lesson and the hire of the truck for the test. The cost of the licence is about $66 and the practical test is included in that. Once you pass the test you are fit to go.

DH uses Keen bros in Perth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Lads do ye know whats the story with driving dump trucks in the mines? I don't have a truck license but I don't think its a necessary as your not on a public road. Do ye think a provisional license and a few lessons could help with getting a job there or would I have to get the full license is Australia. I have my mind set on working on a mine somewhere. Im soon to be a qualified car mechanic but I think they would laugh at me if I asked for a job working on heavy trucks:rolleyes:
    What other jobs would there be the mines that aren't complete sh!t? I don't mind staying out there for a few weeks on end.

There is little to no chance of someone who is on a WHV getting to drive dumpstrucks in the mines.

You may get a job in the mines as a mechaics mate.

@op.
    I was talking to that lad who did his test in Perth. He says that 500/600 bucks will get you your artic test. If you wish to do the road train licence the test alone for that is $850, thats without lessons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Slidey wrote: »
    There is little to no chance of someone who is on a WHV getting to drive dumpstrucks in the mines.
    why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Plug wrote: »
    Lads do ye know whats the story with driving dump trucks in the mines? I don't have a truck license but I don't think its a necessary as your not on a public road. Do ye think a provisional license and a few lessons could help with getting a job there

you are aware that driving Artic dumptrucks needs to be carried out by a competent,trained person:confused:

To drive one of these in Eire & uk,you need to have the relevant tickets,i will hazard a wild guess that the same applies to the Oz mines.

why?
    For your very reason below. 777 dump trucks are not something they are going to let someone who has no experience drive.

You can't be employed by one company for more than 6 months and they will not go to the trouble of training someone for this short a length of employment.

Plug wrote: »
    Lads do ye know whats the story with driving dump trucks in the mines? I don't have a truck license but I don't think its a necessary as your not on a public road. Do ye think a provisional license and a few lessons could help with getting a job there or would I have to get the full license is Australia. I have my mind set on working on a mine somewhere. Im soon to be a qualified car mechanic but I think they would laugh at me if I asked for a job working on heavy trucks:rolleyes:
    What other jobs would there be the mines that aren't complete sh!t? I don't mind staying out there for a few weeks on end.

I know plenty of experienced local car mechanics who can't get into the mines. You wouldn't have a hope on a WHV, even as a fitter. You need to have a lot of other licences to work in the mines and no employer will invest that much money in someone on a WHV.

But as a car mechanic you will have no problems getting work anywhere in Australia and getting sponsorship shouldn't be a problem either. There is a shortage of truck mechanics here too if you wanted to make a switch to HD. You can get your HD qualifications later when you have a bit of experience behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

ellaq wrote: »
    I know plenty of experienced local car mechanics who can't get into the mines. You wouldn't have a hope on a WHV, even as a fitter. You need to have a lot of other licences to work in the mines and no employer will invest that much money in someone on a WHV.

But as a car mechanic you will have no problems getting work anywhere in Australia and getting sponsorship shouldn't be a problem either. There is a shortage of truck mechanics here too if you wanted to make a switch to HD. You can get your HD qualifications later when you have a bit of experience behind you.
    A fellow work mate here has friends out in Perth mines working away. Maybe there are unskilled jobs available? He also said they were on serious money, didn't say exactly what they were doing though.

Could he be on a different visa than WHV? Even as a serviceman the inductions and training couses just to get onsite would be expensive. FIFO would be near impossible to get but if you are living residential in a mining town then your odds of getting work increase.

Have a look at the jobs on seek.com and see their requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

thanks for all the replies guys,

Advertisement