Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheel Woes

• 01-10-2011 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

A bit of a rant / advice request please.

The wheels on my felt are crap, mavic cxp22n rims on felt branded hubs.
    The front one dropped a spoke, fully un-threaded on the way to work one morning with only about 100km on it. I got the LBS where purchased to fix it and check the others for tension and didn't see it as a major problem.
    The rear on has a bigger problem.
    I noticed it when I was replacing the dérailleur hanger, there was a lot of wobble in the cassette. I removed the wheel and when I went to remove the cassette I could feel play in the whole assembly.
    I took the cassette off and had a clear view of the free hub, I could move it with my hand. I thought initially that it may have been down do the axle cones so I had a quick goggle and found that the hub is a bolt through from non-drive side so shouldn't be loose anyway even if the cone wasn't quite snug.
    I removed the axle completely and to my shock the hollow bolt was not in any way connected to the free hub which I was able to remove.
    I had a look and the splined surfaces of both the free hub and the wheel hub and didn't see any signs of damage.
    I put the free hub back on and tightened it, I didn't swing crazily off it as I've no torque wrench and no idea what to set it to anyway, lets say it's okay shouldn't come loose but isn't over tight.
    When I put the cassette back on I could still see the deflection.
    I checked my other set of wheels and there is no wobble at all in the assembly, so I'm assuming there is a problem with the free hub internals.

Now, I understand that wheels are effectively consumable but these are sub 500km wheels, I was using my other wheels intermittently so I'm surprised that there is a fault.
    I could go back to LBS but to be fair I don't want to burst their chops either, I wouldn't expect them to have checked the hub bolt on a new bike so in all likely hood it originated in the factory, is this reasonable?
    Having dealt with them before I know they will sort me out regardless.

I'm just wondering if this is common.

Also could the time the hanger went have caused it?

I might just get a replacement free-hub and fit it myself, this is most likely what the LBS will do.

And finally, in the absence of a torque meter how tight it tight? is one white knuckle too much? Shimano tech specs for their version of through-bolt is 300-420 in/lb, does this seem right?

Thanks.

Advertisement