Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How old are the Time Lord society

Options
  • 01-10-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi I was thinking one day, how old is the Time Lord society, relatively speaking of course :)...I think :confused:.

The Tenth Doctor said they were the "oldest most mighty civilization in the cosmos (something like that)" and they fought the Racnoss 4.6 billion years ago so their civilization must've been about 9 billion years after the Big Bang (BB).
    The Time Lord president in the End of Time said that "a billion years of Time Lord history" was at stake so that suggests that they existed 8-9 billion year period after the BB (ABB).

But the Eleventh Doctor said the Time Lords evolved after "billions of years from exposure to the Time Vortex" so 7-10 billion ABB maybe?
    Plus the "oldest" civilization bit could mean they were the First society ever, which would mean they could have evolved about 1 billion ABB
    (my proof) http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2003/07/14/901007.htm

But in the Trial of the Time Lord the Fifth Doctor states the Time Lord society is ten million years old.

What do you think, how old is the time lord society and when did they exist?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

they could only be realistically be only 10 million years old but as they can travel through time whats stopping them from going back through time to set themselves up as the oldest civilization the universe has seen?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm not a reader of the novels, and they're non canon generally, but I believe one of them points out the Gallifreyans were the first civilisation to achieve sentience that were borne of this universe, and thay lead to their dominion over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I'm not a reader of the novels, and they're non canon generally, but I believe one of them points out the Gallifreyans were the first civilisation to achieve sentience that were borne of this universe, and thay lead to their dominion over it.

In main series (old and new Who) cannon, The Eternals are alluded to being the premiere race in this universe, having stood watch at the goings of the Time War, wept at the destruction caused by lesser beings and left this universe in search of another, vowing to never return.

TL;DR? Eternals are useless in a scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 waterglass305

they could only be realistically be only 10 million years old but as they can travel through time whats stopping them from going back through time to set themselves up as the oldest civilization the universe has seen?

Well the Time Lords were stated to have "10 million years of absolute power" but every other quotes implies they are billions of years old.

One Time Lord in Genesis of the Daleks states that the Time Lords mastered transmat technology when the Universe was "half its current size".
    I'm no astronomer but that has to be several billion years. And he wouldn't say that if they traveled to the future or something.
    Of course we're not considering how Time Lords evolved.

On Gallifrey humanoids evolve and advanced and evolve into Time Lords. Its possible that Gallifreyans spent billions of years evolving then became Time Lords for 10 million years.

Possible?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    In main series (old and new Who) cannon, The Eternals are alluded to being the premiere race in this universe, having stood watch at the goings of the Time War, wept at the destruction caused by lesser beings and left this universe in search of another, vowing to never return.

TL;DR? Eternals are useless in a scrap.

I thought the Eternals were supposed to actually originate from outside space time, and are therefore not of this universe? Which makes the question "how old" not apply to them as time only makes sense in the universe.

My head hurts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

From what I can understand, the Eternals exist and originate from within our universe, but outside of the realm of reality and time.

Advertisement