Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upc outlet box

• 01-10-2011 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

About to sign up to upc for broadband. House previously had chorus (many years ago) and I had connected the tv up to chorus through the socket on the wall. I dont have one of the upc white boxes shown on the demo self install videos.
    Have confirmed on upc website that house still has availability but my question is how do I connect the router to the network to get broadband when I dont have one of those white upc boxes? Do I just hook up the router to the wall socket using some form of adaptor? Or do I have to get someone out to install one of the white boxes?
    Any assistance is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Greds wrote: »
    About to sign up to upc for broadband. House previously had chorus (many years ago) and I had connected the tv up to chorus through the socket on the wall. I dont have one of the upc white boxes shown on the demo self install videos.
    Have confirmed on upc website that house still has availability but my question is how do I connect the router to the network to get broadband when I dont have one of those white upc boxes? Do I just hook up the router to the wall socket using some form of adaptor? Or do I have to get someone out to install one of the white boxes?
    Any assistance is appreciated

Get a upc tech out to install it. With an old setup like that they may need to do any number of other things besides installing the cable box to get your broadband working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Similar thing with me, I ordered UPC broadband and phone (self install), but the Wall box was an old NTL box which wasn't used in years as I have Sky..
    It wouldn't work anyhow...so called UPC and they sent a tech, they ran new wires outside and installed a new UPC point in the Livingroom.
    Give them a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

+1 if you're getting broadband or a digital TV decoder for the first time they have to send someone out to test the line quality so you can't do a self-install even if you wanted to.

The first thing they'll do is replace any or all of the old wall boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cmowforth

I think I'll have to do the same, stupidly chose self-install without checking if I have a coaxial outlet box :mad:

I live in a flat in D6 (so I can only assume there's a cable laid up past the front door) and I believe other people in the building have broadband / tv from UPC, does anybody know if it's a big job to upgrade the outlets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

cmowforth wrote: »
    I live in a flat in D6 (so I can only assume there's a cable laid up past the front door) and I believe other people in the building have broadband / tv from UPC, does anybody know if it's a big job to upgrade the outlets?

Not if there's a cable already coming into the premises, it's no more than a couple of minutes per wall box.

If there's no outlet or cable currently in your flat then they will either have to drill a hole in the window frame, or come straight through the wall. Either way they will probably need permission from the landlord unless there's already a cable running into your flat.

If I was you I'd look at the outside of the building (front and back) and see where the cable passes closest to your flat, that should give you an idea of how they'll get a connection into you. Discuss it with the landlord if it looks like a hole will need to be drilled to get the cable into your flat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cmowforth

Well 2 separate lots of technicians from UPC came round today, brought a cable up the back wall and under the window sill as coylemj said they would. Took about an hour in total and turned out to be a much easier job than I had feared.

Advertisement