Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for sea / beach walk & Bag of chips date

Options
  • 01-10-2011 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi, I am hoping to take my new beau out for a late afternoon walk tomorrow (preferably by the sea) followed by a nice bag of chips for tea :) It's our 4th date & things are going well but really want to spend some quality time without booze etc. He's not from Ireland and would really like to show him somewhere special. We will be driving so don't mind north / south side but have to confess I don't know Dublin very well so advise on how to get there, parking & where to get a good bag of chips after would be great.
    Thanking you much. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Moved From AH

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Merrion strand is a lovely walk. Can't think of any chippies though, so that's out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Dollyer, so if it all goes really well you're in the right spot to park the car and, eh, eat the chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

Howth, Portmarnock or Malahide

Howth is really nice for a date, walk along the pier and best fish and chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Howth Head is great for a long walk, then fish and chips along the pier, or dalkey/ killiney area is also lovely, we're actually spoiled for choice in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

You know how much it rained today? Expect the same tomorrow.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i would go with howth, they have a market there every sunday too.

we often go out on a sunday for a stroll and a bag of chips.

get the dart out and they are you not worrying about parking.

we could also go to bray, again get the dart out, stunning views on the dart

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

www.met.ie shows the weather tomorrow as being pretty dismal

same on the latest forecast here on the weather board:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74691042&postcount=2234

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

I'd vote for Howth too. However, if you're feeling very energetic, and ignoring all weather warnings, take the cliff walk from Bray to Greystones and then get the Dart back to Bray (see here). Its a lovely walk, safe pathways, long enough to build up a good appetite - about four or five miles - and you've a great choice of chippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

Go to Howth, beautiful spot.

• Advertisement

I'd say Howth too.

Dart goes out there, the beach is right behind the station. (Don't get your chips in the pub underneath the station; either go to Beshoffs or Cafe Caira) The 31 bus goes out too. While Sunday is the best day to go out because of the Farmer's markets, it will be pretty difficult to park somewhere. The rest of the week there'll be parking free on the pier closest to the dart station. There's also a cliff walk that leads to the summit, where there's a car park, a nice pub with food and a bus (31/31b) stops right outside. If you go to the beach and it rains, there's plenty of places along the seafront, or even in the village to stop in for a bit of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Why not go the whole way and introduce your foreign friend to the old Irish speciality, a flask of tae and ham sangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Howth all the way.

Enjoy the harbour, the farmers market and all the different food stalls - damn my mouth's watering now!.

I know you said you don't want beer, but!.. Take him to listen to Jimmy Coup at The Bloody Stream with a plate of fish 'N chips.

I have a really good quality of Jimmy at The Bloody Stream which I'll up load later, but here he is in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Done similar several times myself. No question of it, it has to be Howth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

irishbird wrote: »
    i would go with howth, they have a market there every sunday too.

we often go out on a sunday for a stroll and a bag of chips.

get the dart out and they are you not worrying about parking.

we could also go to bray, again get the dart out, stunning views on the dart

The market is tiny,would kill about 10 mins walking around it.

Don't worry about the parking as there's plenty of room

Don't go to Bray it's a Kip.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 new2tri

Thank you all for the suggestions! A lovely sunny evening in Howth was had. Highly recommend F&C from Caffe Caira :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

new2tri wrote: »
    Thank you all for the suggestions! A lovely sunny evening in Howth was had. Highly recommend F&C from Caffe Caira :)

Thanks for getting back to us, and glad you'd a good time in Howth.

Did you manage to get up to the summit?.

There are some spectacular view's up there, infact my computer wall paper is a mobile photo I took of The Bailey Lighthouse from one of the cliff walks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Thanks for getting back to us, and glad you'd a good time in Howth.

Did you manage to get up to the summit?.

There are some spectacular view's up there, infact my computer wall paper is a mobile photo I took of The Bailey Lighthouse from one of the cliff walks..
    If I'd been around in time, I would have suggested getting the 31B to the Summit and have a pint in the Summit Inn. Then if the weather is good go up to the car park, where Mira Ambitious Scenery would have taken the photo and take the cliff walk down to the left all the way down to the harbour. If the weather wasn't so good, there's a few different routes for a nice old stroll including some back ways down to and through the Deerpark and past Howth Castle. Then some of the already mentioned suggestions: Café Ciara (owner is a mod on boards), market on Sunday, Bloody Stream pub, walk along harbour/promenade and DART back towards town. One of the biggest pities at the moment is that the Pier House is closed which is a smashing spot for evening drinks overlooking the harbour and for the sunsets.

* Edit Baily Lighthouse from Summit Carpark
    baily-lighthouse.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

tricky D wrote: »
    One of the biggest pities at the moment is that the Pier House is closed which is a smashing spot for evening drinks overlooking the harbour and for the sunsets.

Sunsets in Howth:confused:

How?

Would the sun not set back towards town from Howth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Nope, sun would set over the airport direction at least half the year. Even now it could be seen from the far end of the promenade over the West Pier. I just tried to check exactly where it hits the horizon but the cloud is in the way.

Here's one from 15 April 2010 during the volcanic ash from the Martello tower over Howth Lodge. Do up a line between them on Google Earth and you'll see that it's well north of due west. That's in April also so we get them most months of the year. In June/July it sets just below the NW (310 degrees) and can even produce noctilucent clouds as it is not far below the horizon during the night.
    sunset-16apr2010.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement