Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

looking for advice bout scope

• 01-10-2011 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭

hey there fellas i have a 6*24*50 swift scope now ive been shooting with her for years but im really only getting the hang of it there is 4 spots below my cross hairs is this for measuring the distance of a animal or for using for 200 yards 2 dots down and so on if any one knows anything bout this would be most greatful cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've owned a few Swift scopes most recently the 6-24x50 with 30mm tube.

The dots are MilDots. They are a unit of measurement designed for adjusting your point of aim without having to adjust the turrets. They only work (well) when the scope is set on a its ranging magnification. This is the mag setting that Swift has built into the scope to get the exact value of the mil dot "spaces".

A mil dot usually represents 3.6 incvhes at 100 yards when on the ranging setting. If i remember correctly its 12 (or 14) power for the Swift. This means when your scope is on 12 power at 100 yards if you increase your point of aim 1 mil dot at a time your shot should raise approx. 3.6 inches each time.

They can also be used as you described. You could set your scope to X power for 100 yards then fire on the ame setting at 200, 300 yards etc, and see where the shot is in comparison to the crosshair. If you find that (for exampl) on 18 power and bang on centre at 100 yards, your shot is on the first mil dot for 200 yards then when you are out you know that you can aim with the crosshair for 80 - 130 yard shots, and use the first mil dot for 180 - 220 yards shots and then somewhere inbetween for 130 - 180 yards shots. Not exactly a science, but it works.

Personally i prefer to set my rifle for 1 inch high at 100 which normally covers me for 80 - 225 yards with a smae point of aim, and only 1-1.5 inch difference in point of impact. However this i caliber specific. I mean it works for higher powered rifles, but would obviously work for a .22lr or slower caliber that has a greater drop.

The best advice i can give would be to take a box of ammo or two, and go out and try the rifle at different distances, with different mil dots on different settings to find YOUR comfort zone.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭browning 12 bore

thank you ever so much for all that it was most helpful i just have to try and keep scope and gun steady when firing still on the timid side even after 6 years with the gun
    thank again

Advertisement