Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather loaches are digging up my plant

Options
  • 01-10-2011 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

I have a relatively small tank and have 2 plants in it, one is a java fern and the other is in the photo (I can't remember the name), they're tied onto wood with thread. The java fern is doing great but my 2 weather loaches keep digging up the other one

picture.php?albumid=1520&pictureid=10740

From the photo you can kind of see the wood, the roots above it and then the plant. I've tied it back on a few times and I've tried piling the stones over the wood but they keep uprooting it.

Is there anything I can do? Any other way of securing it? They push food in there, rummage around in the roots and seem to scratch themselves in the roots.

Sorry about the crap photo, just realising now the amount of crap on the glass!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Dutchology

Dojos prefer to have something to bury and burrow around in. You could try switching your substrate for a soft sand. This will give them the opportunity to carry out natural behaviour (plus it's fun to watch them dig) and they may as a result leave your plants alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Just an update, the plant has been moved to a loach free tank but I did change the substrate for sand, and the loaches LOVE it! One is always burying himself in it, you go in and all you'll see is a head sticking out, or a tail, or just whiskers :D The other hasn't really gotten the idea and only once saw him with his head buryed in the sand like an ostrich, they're hilarious

Advertisement