Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy decent hiking boots?

Options
  • 02-10-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend an outdoor pursuits type shop that can do a proper fitting and give some decent advice for hiking boots as I have wonky shaped feet. :p

Winters a coming and I need some other bits and pieces as well so wouldn't mind travelling a reasonable distance either side of the border if someone knows of a decent place.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Wet N Wild
    Ballyraine
    Letterkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Call of the Wild,
    Castle St
    Sligo town.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You could contact a group such as the Bluestack Ramblers and ask where their members get their bits and bobs. Im sure they'd be only to happy to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thanks Muffler, I think I will do that. I've been walking in trekking books mostly as it took ages to find a decent fit in riding boots, so stuck with the brand when I found it. I think its time I had something better for hiking though, so the search begins again! *sigh*

<ETA> I see both of the above recommendations mentioned on their site as well so worth a bit more investigation. I had a bit of a preconception that Wet n Wild might not have a huge range, but worth a call in all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

highly recommend MEINDL boots they are dear but mines are very comfortable , had them 13years and still going strong , b very rare if i get wet feet, actually climbed a waterfall last week walkin up through the water for approx an hour, feet 100% dry.
    oh with regard to shops, jackson sports belfast i found to be excellent, and cheaper than the equivalent down here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

puddles22 wrote: »
    highly recommend MEINDL boots they are dear but mines are very comfortable , had them 13years and still going strong , b very rare if i get wet feet, actually climbed a waterfall last week walkin up through the water for approx an hour, feet 100% dry.
    oh with regard to shops, jackson sports belfast i found to be excellent, and cheaper than the equivalent down here

unfortunately boots are very personal i know a few people who didnt find meindl's comfortable, i have lowa's (brillliant but worn out) and zamberlans (lightweight but for the amount of hilll walking i'm doing at the moment v comfortable)
    all sports on quay street in donegal town have a few boots in as well

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Moonfruit

Cotswolds in Belfast have a large range and staff are trained very well. I've worked for Cotswolds in the past and I'm well aware of the service they strive to provide.
    As with any new walking boot, you should wear it about inside the house after you buy it. If you are not happy with the fitting then Cotswolds will give you an exchange or refund.
    If you have trouble getting a good fit then you should go somewhere that has a large selection like Cotswolds. Plus they can advise you on ways to improve the fit by using inserts and lace tying options.
    If you're a member of a walking club or similar they are keen to set up a discount account for all members of that club. This can be as much as 15%.
    Follow this link:

http://community.cotswoldoutdoor.com/stores/belfast-boucher-retail-park/

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

i know you would rather go to a shop and fit on the boots but heres a web site i get alot of hunting and fishing gear from and they do a large range of boots

www.cabelas.com

i have these boots myself and spend hours on hills and mountains in all weather stalking deer and they never let me down

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Rocky174-Arctic-Bear-Claw-1400-Boots/721227.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Drocky%2Bbear%2Bclaw%26x%3D17%26y%3D9%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=rocky+bear+claw&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

HI,

Try All Sports in Donegal Town.

They have this machine that does a measurement of your feet in 3D (I Think!!) and can help them make a better selections for your feet,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Minie Mouse

there is an outdoor shop in Muff Co. Donegal called Boderland:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Moonfruit wrote: »
    If you have trouble getting a good fit then you should go somewhere that has a large selection like Cotswolds. Plus they can advise you on ways to improve the fit by using inserts and lace tying options.

This is it exactly, 99% sure anything I would buy on-line definitely won't fit, no problem if I know what to get but I don't so I'll probably end up trying these folks, thanks for the recommendation. A few of the others mentioned are only a stone throw away though so would be silly to not have a look first in some of these places.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Am another lifelong Meindl fan.

Advertisement