Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

get your bulbs in now/ what you planting?

Options
  • 02-10-2011 12:50am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

well autumn is upon us again and I'm hoping to get some bulbs soon. Just wondering what people are planning on putting in heres my list:

Hyacinths in pots
    Muscari (grape hyacinth) sown already;)
    mix of tulips
    aliums, christophii, gigantum, purple sensation
    mixed crocus
    anemones

Anything else I should consider???

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

snakes' head fritillary are lovely.The minature daffies like jetfire are good, they don't blow over as easily as the big ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

small species Tulips
    species Crocus
    species Colchicums

some of you in to bulbs will enjoy my web site marksgardenplants.com

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've a mix of daffs and tulips, and some snowdrops in for spring.

When's the best time to lift dahlias?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Loads of bits. My first full spring in the "new" house and have put down daffs, crocuses, snowdrops, chionodoxa, alliums, winter aconites, tulips, hyacinths, scillas and fritillaries.
    Hoping for a high success rate!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

My girlfriend is in the process of planting hundreads of bulbs all around the garden,at the moment .

Havent a clue what they are,as she talks to me in latin when naming plants and flowers,but I will get her do write a list for me and I,ll post it here tomorrow at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

paddy147 wrote: »
    My girlfriend is in the process of planting hundreads of bulbs all around the garden,at the moment .

Havent a clue what they are,as she talks to me in latin when naming plants and flowers,but I will get her do write a list for me and I,ll post it here tomorrow at some stage.

Just say to her, "so its daffs and tulips then!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I got lovely green tuilps from Mr Middletons.

I was going to plant Fritillaria this year but at a fiver a bulb it was just a bit past my price range!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

Loads of bits. My first full spring in the "new" house and have put down daffs, crocuses, snowdrops, chionodoxa, alliums, winter aconites, tulips, hyacinths, scillas and fritillaries.
    Hoping for a high success rate!

Paddy, you might be surprised how many plants are known only by their latin names like the above post

Crocus, Narcissus, Allium, Geranium, Anemone, Aster, Cotoneaster, Primula, Tulipa ...

Just say to her, "so its daffs and tulips then!" :D

Not a single daffodill in all the bulbs shes planting.

I know theres lots of snowdrops, purple and white tulips and purple alliums,but the rest of what shes planting,well I havent a bloody clue.

She keeps on forgetting that I dont understand latin.:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

kylith wrote: »
    I've a mix of daffs and tulips, and some snowdrops in for spring.

When's the best time to lift dahlias?

When the first frost hits them cut off growth near the base and store in peat until next year.

Ooo I love buying and planting bulbs I bought a large bag of golden ducat daffodils two years ago and planted in clumps they are smashing. They flower later than most and have huge double flowers I lovvvve them. Don't plant them too exposed as the wind will break the stems.

I love the alliums as you can dry them beautifully for indoor displays too;) 2.50 for 1 large bulb (gigeantum, his excellence) so they are pricy. but the smaller purple sensation are cheaper for about 5 for 2.50 (woodies two packs for 5euro)

I bought some tulips "exotic blend" double late mixed (Might plant some of them in a bowl indoors) really gorgeous tulips.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ditto on the green tulips! In nice tall black pots. Should look so fresh in the spring.

The garden is jammers, so it is smallies for me this year. The teeny tiny daffs, and my old nemesis the snowdrop. Plant them in 'the green' my granny used to say worked for her, so i guess i wait til they start to shoot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I have planted a load of crocus's and snowdrops in the lawn. and i dont want to move them every year. i notice that some people take them out and store them over a time period. is this necessary? or am i wasting my time planting them in the lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Buy snowdrops 'in the green' next spring, after they have flowered but have all their leaves. That's the theory anyway, I still haven't managed to get any to do more than a couple of flowers!

Alliums alliums and more alliums.....globe masters (1 meter tall)

Our garden will be flooded with them next year.

Also lots of toadstool snowdrops and Fritillaria meleagris.

Roll on spring and summertime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Found a load of bulbs . Is it too late to plant them ?

Found a load of bulbs . Is it too late to plant them ?

Nope....plant away.:)

Advertisement