Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wires everywhere!

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yep or try them into the Aux + & - .
    There is a possibility you may blow a fuse here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭altor

You wont blow a fuse as the fuses are re-settable fuses in the Securewave panel.
    If you have tested the blue and yellow on continuity and get nothing off the cable then an option would be to connect it to the 12v battery and see if the strobe works. Blue for - and yellow for +. If that does not work try it the other way around. If you do get the strobe lighting connect it to the panel as the strobe will only be on when the alarm activates on the older type bell you have installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

altor wrote: »
    You wont blow a fuse as the fuses are re-settable fuses in the Securewave panel.
    If you have tested the blue and yellow on continuity and get nothing off the cable then an option would be to connect it to the 12v battery and see if the strobe works. Blue for - and yellow for +. If that does not work try it the other way around. If you do get the strobe lighting connect it to the panel as the strobe will only be on when the alarm activates on the older type bell you have installed.

That's how I discovered the external bell, just went direct to the battery. Hopefully it will work for the strobe. Coincidentally, the house two doors up just got a new bell installed yesterday, a sleek one just like Koolkid was recommending. But i'd be happy to get this one going again, no need for any extra bells and whistles.:D

seosamh wrote: »
    That's how I discovered the external bell, just went direct to the battery. Hopefully it will work for the strobe. Coincidentally, the house two doors up just got a new bell installed yesterday, a sleek one just like Koolkid was recommending. But i'd be happy to get this one going again, no need for any extra bells and whistles.:D

I have used this method on a bell that could not be opened many a time :D
    They are a good bell, use them myself. With the new bell on an old system it makes it look like you have a new system. I would bite the bullet and get the sledge to the old bell :D It is more of a deterrent that the older bell you have.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Your right ,Altor . Was still thinking of the original panel.
    It seems a shame having a nice securewave onto an old bell. Splash out on an external.:D

• Advertisement

How much would one of those fancy bells cost? Could I just get a sticker that says 'this works' and put in on the old bell. That or a skull and crossbones to scare off the 'up to no good' types.

You could get a Delta Bell for €40-€50 if you were to fit it yourself.
    I think they don't look as good with a blank lid though. Shop around a few companies & you could get a screened one fitted cheap enough.

Just got the strobe to work! The blue and yellow wires did the trick. Thanks guys.

I don't really want to yank it off the wall now. I'd prefer to put the money into the HKC GSM board when it comes on the market.

Just got the strobe to work! The blue and yellow wires did the trick. Thanks guys.

I don't really want to yank it off the wall now. I'd prefer to put the money into the HKC GSM board when it comes on the market.

The deterrent of the new bell would be better. It is up to you but that would be the way I would go.

I hear you but seems a waste of money if the bell and strobe are working perfectly.
    I came across these decals on ebay that might take the bare look off the bell.

alarmdecal.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Advertisement

I hear you but seems a waste of money if the bell and strobe are working perfectly.

alarmdecal.th.png

So false. It stands out a mile its not a real company. You would be doing yourself more harm than good. I take what you say about the bell working, but its all about how it looks. Your external bell is the first deterrant . If that looks old a potential burglar will presume your system is also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I would highly recommend installing a new bell. They're a great deterrent and think about it, if you were a burglar and you were looking to break into a house and you came upon two houses, one with a rusty 25 year old bell and the other had a new bell with flashing LED lights, which house would you break into?

alarmdecal.th.png

I would not advise putting that on your bell. Stick with the old working bell.

Hi,
    I was just taking a look at my own alarm panel, an old aritech 350 I think. Anyway the external bell wasn't working so I connected it directly to the battery and it was fine. Then I decided to shove in the two wires for the external alongside the internal bells slots. Long story short, I think I blew a fuse as now neither the internal nor external bell is now working. Are the fuses standard and easy to replace?
    Thanks.

Hi,
    I was just taking a look at my own alarm panel, an old aritech 350 I think. Anyway the external bell wasn't working so I connected it directly to the battery and it was fine. Then I decided to shove in the two wires for the external alongside the internal bells slots. Long story short, I think I blew a fuse as now neither the internal nor external bell is now working. Are the fuses standard and easy to replace?
    Thanks.

Yes, they are on the board.
    Here is the locations.

Yes, they are on the board.
    Here is the locations.

Thanks Altor, much appreciated.

Just while I'm at it, is there much trouble in resetting the panel as I don't have the engineer's code - I was thinking of adding a PIR? Thanks.

Check and see if you have a spare zone available before attempting to default the system. There are 6 zones on this panel. If you do then defaulting the panel once not engineer locked is very easy. Turn off the mains, open the panel, disconnect the battery, remove the link in the center of the board JP1. Reconnect the battery and the system should default. Use the default user code 1122 to turn the alarm off. If this code does not turn off the alarm then use your original code. If the original code works then the panel is engineer locked and would need an engineer to default it. The default engineer code for the system is 1278. Dont forget to put the link back on before you put the lid back on the control panel.

Any problems, let us know.

Thanks, I'll give it a go once I have the fuses sorted.

Thanks, I'll give it a go once I have the fuses sorted.

Your welcome, the fuse rating is on the PDF also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭brinks_18476

hi guys, will CAT5 cable be ok to run for a couple of PIRs?

Not ideal , but it will work. Be careful not to overtighten the connections as the single strand in CAT5 may break easier.

hi guys, will CAT5 cable be ok to run for a couple of PIRs?

It does work but is very brittle so can break easily. Alarm cable is the better option.

Advertisement