Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making soup without stock?

Options
  • 02-10-2011 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

I've recently begun cooking (various veg) soups after about a year of being lazy and am having a stock-related problem! Basically I'm finding the flavour overpowering, salty and "same-y" regardless of what type of soup it is...I've tried the obvious things like making a weaker/more dilute stock than the instructions say but it's always the same and it gives all soup the same horrible yellow/orange tinge too.

I don't remember this being a problem before so it may be that I'm less used to salt now- either way I need to do something! I've tried various brands so it's not just that I'm using a bad one.

Would it be horribly tasteless if I didn't use stock? Every recipe states it...
    Or should I start with a mirepoix type base of carrot,onion and celery to add flavour instead and then just season to taste?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Semele wrote: »
    I've recently begun cooking (various veg) soups after about a year of being lazy and am having a stock-related problem! Basically I'm finding the flavour overpowering, salty and "same-y" regardless of what type of soup it is...I've tried the obvious things like making a weaker/more dilute stock than the instructions say but it's always the same and it gives all soup the same horrible yellow/orange tinge too.

I don't remember this being a problem before so it may be that I'm less used to salt now- either way I need to do something! I've tried various brands so it's not just that I'm using a bad one.

Would it be horribly tasteless if I didn't use stock? Every recipe states it...
    Or should I start with a mirepoix type base of carrot,onion and celery to add flavour instead and then just season to taste?

I'd usually start by sautéing the veg in some butter then add water and cook it very slowly. I find the taste grand, definitely add celery, and onion for flavour anyway then when blended season to taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I agree that Commercial shop bought stock is salty and samey, regardless of the brand.

However, soup needs a good stock base to avoid being bland.

The obvious answer is to to make your own stock. Its simple and gives muhc better more complex flavouring.

If you do make soup without stock, use loads of flavourings and lots of time to allow the flavours to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

Make sure you aren't leaving your soup boiling away for ages when you add stock cause you're just making it saltier the longer its on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Someone once made vegetable soup for me using the water from a boiled chicken as 'stock'. (He didn't quite get that there was more to making stock than that.) It was the worst soup I have ever tasted. Soup definitely needs something. If you can find a good stock recipe then definitely try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Hobite

I try not to use any stock from the shops.

I use loads of spices.

First, I always boil some meet for my soup. Usually chicken. When chicken starts boiling, I am changing the water: cleaning the pot, cleaning the chicken (simple put under runing water). Putting the fresh water to the pot and again boilng. The add vegetables (thats depends from taste, what you whant). Sometimes I add or pasta, or potatoes, or even grains. And loads of spices. If you dont put any spices, only salt, the soup probably will be awfull.

I usually ad these spices to mu spup: salt, dryed black pepper (whole, not powder), dryed laurel leaves , dill and etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

After we've finished with a roasted chicken, I put all the carcass (except the skin) into a saucepan and cover with cold water, break the bones if necessary to fit it into the pot. I add some mixed fresh herbs if I have them or leave out if I don't, a couple of onions cut in half, a couple of carrots cut in half and bring to the boil, remove any scum from the top of liquid if necessary, simmer for 20-30 mins and strain off the liquid, which is the chicken stock. When its cold, remove any solidified fat from the top. I don't add salt to the stock but I do add a little salt to soup which I would make with the stock. We think this is a pretty good stock, little or no fat, no salt. Other folk may do it differently. I don't bother reducing the liquid for a stronger flavour.

I pour the cold stock into jamjars and cover and freeze. Suits me well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

After we've finished with a roasted chicken, I put all the carcass (except the skin) into a saucepan and cover with cold water, break the bones if necessary to fit it into the pot. I add some mixed fresh herbs if I have them or leave out if I don't, a couple of onions cut in half, a couple of carrots cut in half and bring to the boil, remove any scum from the top of liquid if necessary, simmer for 20-30 mins and strain off the liquid, which is the chicken stock. When its cold, remove any solidified fat from the top. I don't add salt to the stock but I do add a little salt to soup which I would make with the stock. We think this is a pretty good stock, little or no fat, no salt. Other folk may do it differently. I don't bother reducing the liquid for a stronger flavour.

I pour the cold stock into jamjars and cover with lids and freeze. Suits me well.

Advertisement