Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best frontman ever?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No Meatloaf renders poll useless.

Well actually, Liam Gallagher at no.1 does. Liam Gallagher any where near top 10 does.

John Lennon wasn't really a front man, I'd give his place to Elton John.

Freddie Mercury has to be no. 1 though. The man made the stage his bitch for crying out loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

beng128 wrote: »
    That James Brown (maybe) almost had me on the floor,he could control his band with such precision, he would make them change key simultaneously mid-song without loosing a drop of that funkee groove.

Wasn't knocking him just thought James Brown was more of a solo artist tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

I dont see Dave Grohl there so i cant say

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

Here's a few other great frontmen/women

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Why was Ivan Doroschuk not included in the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

strummer should have gotten a higher place. not the best singer or guitar player but that man oozed energy and charisma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

alastair wrote: »
    Freddie for the win, but where's the justice in a place for Damon and none for Jarvis?

Jarvia Cocker is a d ick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

karaokeman wrote: »
    Ah no Liam has all the genetic characteristics of a frontman.

I can't think of anyone that would top him.

Morrissey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Bon Scott ftw.

karaokeman wrote: »
    Ah no Liam has all the genetic characteristics of a frontman.

I can't think of anyone that would top him.

Liam is one of the best. But he doesn't touch this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Actually, where is Peter Gabriel?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Iggy Pop, Rod Stewart, Vince Neil, we could be here all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

List is pathetic imo.

And for all the people doubting James Brown, stfu and watch this! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Joke. Freddie is #1 without a doubt. Jim Morrison and Robert Plant so low down the list??? you gotta be avin' a larf!!! Also, no mention of any of these (probably more missing that I can't think of, but these are off the top of my head):

-David Lee Roth
    -Phil Lynott
    -Axl Rose
    -James Hetfield (I'm not a huge Metallica fan, but goddamn, he is brilliant at getting a crowd going)
    -Bruce Dickinson
    -Ozzy Osbourne
    -Rob Halford
    -Jon Bon Jovi
    -Ronnie James Dio
    -Vince Neil
    -Bon Scott
    -Steve Tyler
    -Lemmy
    -Alice Cooper
    -Billy Idol
    -David Coverdale
    -Meat Loaf
    -Til Lindemaan
    -Anthony Kiedis
    -Klaus Meine
    -Sebastian Bach
    -Dee Snider
    -Blackie Lawless

Joke of a list, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Peep O'Day

Whether you like him or not, and personally I think he is a bit of a knob but was a fantastic singer, there is no doubting the colossal influence Liam Gallagher had on young men, particularly in the mid 90s. Lads dressed like him, got their hair cut like him, they even walked and put on a stupid manc accent! He deserves his place on the list, probably not at the top though (i'd reserve that for jagger).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

How the hell is Iggy Pop not on that list? As far as I'm concerned he's the greatest frontman of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Ian Curtis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Suas11 wrote: »
    How the hell is Iggy Pop not on that list? As far as I'm concerned he's the greatest frontman of all time.

Everyone has their opinion..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

DazMarz wrote: »
    Joke. Freddie is #1 without a doubt. Jim Morrison and Robert Plant so low down the list??? you gotta be avin' a larf!!! Also, no mention of any of these (probably more missing that I can't think of, but these are off the top of my head):

-David Lee Roth
    -Phil Lynott
    -Axl Rose
    -James Hetfield (I'm not a huge Metallica fan, but goddamn, he is brilliant at getting a crowd going)
    -Bruce Dickinson
    -Ozzy Osbourne
    -Rob Halford
    -Jon Bon Jovi
    -Ronnie James Dio
    -Vince Neil
    -Bon Scott
    -Steve Tyler
    -Lemmy
    -Alice Cooper
    -Billy Idol
    -David Coverdale
    -Meat Loaf
    -Til Lindemaan
    -Anthony Kiedis
    -Klaus Meine
    -Sebastian Bach
    -Dee Snider
    -Blackie Lawless

Joke of a list, IMO.

Obvious reason why most of those were not mentioned....Q has f**k all interest in heavy metal.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Take That is the greatest frontman

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Kurt Cobain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

M.E.S

Stopping during set to give out to his bassist and guitarist for switching sides during a song.

"We're not f**king U2"

Bloody stage-antics, he knows how to keep them in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,878 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

That poll is a farce. Robbie Williams? Chris Martin? And say what you want about him but Axl Rose deserves to be in the top ten there. Freddie Mercury is a stand out number one..Jim Morrison 2nd.. Ah polls annoy me.

Robbie Williams a frontman :eek::confused:

No Thom Yorke or Michael Stipe or Dave Grohl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

No GG Allin? :eek::confused::eek::confused::eek::eek:

20100331-141938-820532.jpg

That's not brown sauce on his body kids
    By the mid to late 1980s, Allin was addicted to heroin and alcohol and generally abused any intoxicants provided to him. At this point, Allin also began eating laxatives before performances - as defecation was becoming a regular stage act. Allin described himself as "the last true rock and roller". By this, he meant that rock and roll music itself had started as an embodiment of danger, anti-authoritarianism and rebelliousness but had become largely taken over by corporations and business concerns. Allin's music and performances were thus meant to return rock and roll to what he saw as its roots, reclaiming it from the corporate system.

By this point, Allin's performances, which often resulted in considerable damage to venues and sound equipment, were regularly stopped after only a few songs by police or venue owners. Allin was charged with assault and battery or indecent exposure a number of times. His constant touring was only stopped by jail time or by long hospital stays for broken bones, blood poisoning, and other physical trauma.

GG Allin's last show was on June 27, 1993 at a small club called The Gas Station, a punk venue located inside of a former gas station at 194 E 2nd Street in Manhattan. During the second song, the power went out, after which he trashed the venue, walked across the street entirely naked, and then continued on (now wearing shorts, but still covered in blood and feces) through the neighborhood, followed by a large group of fans.

gg-allin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭smilerf

No Meatloaf is a pure joke. Seen him 5 times. Meatloaf and The Neverland Express are class

Any best frontmen of all time list that includes Chris Martin but not Paul Rodgers isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

For me Iggy is the best ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4hPnZUMBwA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

James Brown was a great frontman? Probably the one who appeals to me most on the list.

Also, won't be liked I'd imagine, but, Tom Jones?

Advertisement