Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange>XGC Is it really better? Is the sky really blue? What are doldrums really?

Options
  • 02-10-2011 5:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭

Before you say it I know I don't play any more but I still do pop in "regularlyish" to the various events that are on and after today's I'm just curious about what the benefits were of having it in the Exchange over in XGC again?

XGC P's and C's were:

Pros: Tonnes of Machines and seats. Not limited by time and casuals can ACTUALLY be played during and after (meaning 15 quid goes further than 3 or 4 games in groups before you're out and that's your lot for the day). Shop is closer (It matters :)). Little bit more central to town also.

Cons: Hot as hell, Monitors can be ****, Can be a bit cramped if we're all on one side of the room. Then the BIG one, Games Workshop is so close the lameness infects you little by little by sheer proximity reducing our already low level of coolness down to the fact we're at a gaming event anyway.

Exchange:

P's: Decent space,...?

C's: **** all machines and monitors. Seats are few and far between and ain't nice and leather, It's hot as ****in hell, Monitors aren't all that better anyway, We're always booted out as soon as it's done so no casuals afterwards and casuals during are a near impossibility due to lack of machines to play on.

I only raise this because I'm just wondering what it was that pushed the move to happen? I understand the lack of machines and monitors are down to people not bringing them but it's damn hard for anyone not driving (the majority) to bring these things. Not to mention risky anyway putting personal property on the line just for people to play in a different place ye know. Xgc has all the **** needed in abundance. I'm not an XGC fanboy by any means I'm just trying to get a perspective on why the exchange is supposedly better.

Cheers

Ry

P.S. The theme tune to this post can be found here > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Q-qF3OpXc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Ry wrote: »
    I understand the lack of machines and monitors are down to people not bringing them but it's damn hard for anyone not driving (the majority) to bring these things.
    I've never understood this belief.
    What exactly is so hard about bringing stuff? You get your monitor or Xbox and you put it in a bag. You then carry that bag to the venue.
    Seriously, if I can lug up an Xbox and a monitor along with my stick from Cork without much hassle it can't be that difficult for locals to bring one or the other.
    Not to mention risky anyway putting personal property on the line just for people to play in a different place ye know.
    This is understandable to a degree, but aside from a lost camera I have never had any of my stuff broken or stolen in the year we've been running non XGC events.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I too question why it's so hard to put a 15 inch monitor or an xbox in a bag. Try carrying the case (as many people have :D )

Security was waaay worse in XGC. I've never seen random people hitting other people they don't know in Exchange.

There's no room there for recording.

There's no couches for a chill out moment in XGC.

The staff in XGC have been outright hostile at time towards holding tournaments.

XGc is significantly more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Majority of sticks are pretty big, on top of that is a heavy xbox and a monitor? Its alot of effort for the average Joe, not to mention the overhead of taking care of your equipment and the fear of breaking it.

I know the community runs on this and it vital to tournaments but it clearly requires more effort than bringing in your stick.

inteltronic-xbox-360-monitor.jpg
    if we were talking about these... then its another story
    as i mentioned before bringing in laptop would suit better [if people have fast enough ones]

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Games Workshop is next to the xgc, not the Exchange.

Exchange is wayyyy better. Every event there has been excellent. Evo quals and last DoC were outstanding events which would never of been as good if they were held in XGC.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

As someone who's been doing tourneys before SF4 in XGC...

The Exchange is better. More space is muuuuch appreciated.

So what if you don't get casuals?
    YOU'RE HERE FOR THE TOURNAMENT.
    Get a better teammate play better.

Though some kinks @Exchange do need to be worked out (mostly who has the bloody keys), and both venues suck for air conditioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Liquidswords

Then the BIG one, Games Workshop is so close the lameness infects you little by little by sheer proximity

LMAO.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Then the BIG one, Games Workshop is so close the lameness infects you little by little by sheer proximity reducing our already low level of coolness down to the fact we're at a gaming event anyway.

As Doyler said, Games Workshop is near XGC. Also "low level of coolness"? Speak for yourself :P
    I understand the lack of machines and monitors are down to people not bringing them but it's damn hard for anyone not driving (the majority) to bring these things. Not to mention risky anyway

I bring mine on foot. It just requires one more bag than the bag you're going to need for your fightstick anyway.

I think the main point here is that if you want casuals, they're on twice a week in XGC, or you could come to a tournament before it starts and get your fill.

If you want there to be more machines, bring a machine.

But if you want (and sorry if I sound cynical here) to come in towards the end of a tournament, and have some casuals without paying any entry fee, I don't think the tournament organisers are going to lose any sleep over this not happening.

Placebo wrote: »
    Majority of sticks are pretty big, on top of that is a heavy xbox and a monitor? Its alot of effort for the average Joe, not to mention the overhead of taking care of your equipment and the fear of breaking it.

I know the community runs on this and it vital to tournaments but it clearly requires more effort than bringing in your stick.

But this is my point - I have been lugging crap around for years and it's not as difficult as everyone seems to want to think it is. The fear is an understandable issue, but I really think it's an awful excuse for people to say it's too much effort to bring equipment when those same people are often the ones who complain of a lack of set ups.
    I would hope I needn't say this is not directed at anyone particularly in this thread, but come on. A stick in your backpack and a console or monitor in a Tesco reusable bag (with some pillows or t-shirts for buffering if you really want to make sure it's safe on arrival) is really not a lot to complain about.

Obviously not everyone has access to a conveniently sized monitor so they're off the hook as regards to this rant, but people need to man the **** up when it comes to equipment usage.

No ones complaining, its not a feasible solution for everyone. It sounds fine to you but i dont like carrying 3 bag packs when i visit town. Not to mention the rain dripping into that tesco bag. Of course exchange is better than xgc and im not complaining about the lack of equipment but merely indicating the reason why there might be and will be an abundance in the future.

In any case, isnt XGC due to close soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

I bring mine on foot. It just requires one more bag than the bag you're going to need for your fightstick anyway.

You still bring your fight stick in its original box Dave?Classic.

Anyway I've only been to Exchange once-evo qualifiers and I thought it was the dogs balls. A real leap forward compared to the XGC.

You can play a game comfortably with out breathing down some ones neck or fear of knocking over camera equipment. I presume the EVO qualifiers was the biggest crowd there yet and afterwards I didn't end up smelling like a tramps undies,unlike the XGC.
    Also there is no fear of some traveller coming in starting fights,and you don't have to constantly keep your eye on your equipment for fear of some pikey being away with it.

• Advertisement

You still bring your fight stick in its original box Dave?Classic.

Nah Dave, not anymore.

Trying to fit that box + bag in a Dublin Bikes basket damn near killed me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Placebo wrote: »
    but i dont like carrying 3 bag packs when i visit town

If this is what your argument comes down to then there's no point even replying really.

My xbox/power cables and stick all fit in the one rucksack, then it's just a case of using a Tesco reuseable bag for a monitor, that's one bag on your back and a shopping bag in one hand. If that's seriously a reason for people to want to go to the XGC over the Exchange I'm gobsmacked.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    If that's seriously a reason for people to want to go to the XGC over the Exchange I'm gobsmacked.
    This is what I'm trying to get across.
    The hassle of bringing equipment is not a valid argument as far as I'm concerned.

Jesus christ is anything EVER up for debate in this community ?
    regardless - I have been referring to Sairius's comment from the start
    Sairus wrote:
    I've never understood this belief.
    What exactly is so hard about bringing stuff?

Ciaran, you're basically explaining to me how easy is it to carry 3 pieces of equipment and what i'm trying to tell you is that - FOR ME, its not.
    I do not like extra bags hanging around me. I dont own those type of bag packs. Neither do i like them. Thats merely my point - that it is awkward ! thats whats hard about bringing in stuff.

i understand that my argument somewhat implies that equipment load is a good reason to change venues but i thought i made it clear when i said
    Placebo wrote:
    Of course exchange is better than xgc
    i have even been suggesting the laptop idea for the exchange.
    so to finish off, yeah you were right there was no point in you even replying..... really.

of course this really ends up being completely off topic and nothing to do with anything, so here a random ****in picture, maybe Brian will thank my post some day. One can dream.
    han-shot-first.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I understand that Farz, but I just don't think it's valid - I don't think it's at all awkward, anyone doing shopping around town probably ends up carrying more stuff around for longer than we're talking about in this situation. I think in the end people just aren't bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Firstly the bit about Games Workshop was meant as a con on XGC so woops accidentally put it in the wrong place :)

Anyway what I'm getting from those bigging up the exchange is the extra space is a real big plus so that's fair enough. The reason I listed people's reasons for not bringing stuff because it's too much hassle is because it's just my best guess as to why people don't. Sairus you mentioned it's pretty easy to go with stick in the bag and xbox/monitor in a Tesco bag etc but personally and this might also ring true with others, I go into town admittedly from somewhere closer now lately but the stick in my backpack is genuinely all I want to be lugging around as I'm usually not in town solely for the tournament and bringing anything more would mean I'm carrying a tesco bag with my xbox and monitor around in my hands all around town and to wherever else I'm going. I don't know about others but I'm not comfortable with the risks of damage/theft that come with that.

I'm not afraid of damage/theft at the events by any means because luckily we've a good bunch of people so that's actually not the issue at all. The issue really stems from getting screwed outside the event by weather or whatever else since it's never a case of in to tournament and straight home again.

So I'd love to hear why others don't bring their equipment. Let's face it there were 4 monitors and 4 machines going over the weekend there. Every person at it has a tv and console so why are others not bringing stuff too? I'm not looking to scrutinise anyone's reasons here either I'm just genuinely interested what other people's reasons are for not too since it's probably the only thing (albeit one of the main things) that the XGC still has over exchange going by people's responses.

Just to add in too does ANYONE actually prefer XGC over exchange as I've just seen "Exchangers" posting? I don't prefer either but I'm again just curious if people do and if so for what reasons also?

Use your head, Ry.

-Lots of people play on 37" TVs, not luggable 20" monitors.
    --Bringing monitors is awkward.
    ---Exchange monitors are ALL THE SAME.
    ---Player's monitors are not, and introduce variability.
    -XGC's Xbox TVs are shít, PS3 TVs are not.
    -Stop using Tesco's bags and get a €5 backpack.
    --I have personally brought a 21" monitor, PS3, 2 sticks and my laptop at once, in only 1 laptop bag + 1 cheap sportsbag.
    --Year 1, I'd lug around 1-2 sticks, pads, camera and a tripod.

Also, there are plenty of shops within 2mins walking distance of Exchange.

And finally:
    I only raise this because I'm just wondering what it was that pushed the move to happen?
    XGC tournaments were kinda fvcking horrid, and we wanted to do our own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Use your head, Ry.

I'm not a mind reader. I'm asking people. Also would you (lugging all that stuff around) be solely coming into town for the tourney and then going home afterwards?

For clarity, I assume Kiki means the XGC when he's saying Exchange above.

Sairus wrote: »
    For clarity, I assume Kiki means the XGC when he's saying Exchange above.
    No I don't.
    K.O.Kiki wrote:
    ---Exchange monitors are ALL THE SAME.
    I'm talking about the community monitors that Orim bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

if ***** like me and ****ing sairus can lug poxy consoles on **** public transport halfway across the cuntry to the bastard exchange, then locals can easily pull their finger out their arse and bring some ****ing equip, no pissing bother to them. **** **** ass **** bitch bollocks.

Edit: added extra cursing. ;)
    No I don't.

Yes, yes you do.

Exchange tournaments were kinda fvcking horrid, and we wanted to do our own thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I dont really think the exchange is much better either ry. They both have good and bad points but they dont like us having tourneys in xgc so thats the end of that anyway.
    One thing I dont like in the exchange is the big massive windows. I find it off putting when people put their faces of disgust up against the windows when your trying to play a match. 2 dudes pulled moonies the last time I was there.
    It seems like everyone and anyone can walk in too so thats the same as the xgc.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

bush wrote: »
    2 dudes pulled moonies the last time I was there

Lol! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

Xgc is just way to cramped for the amount of people for inferno. I don't mind xgc though when it was just blazblue cause it was only ever 16 ppl max at once.
    I can see the point of having more equipments in xgc so you can sit down and play some games for fun, while in the exchange you can't. everything is just for the tournements.
    Yeah some people are just don't bring things in cause there not bother, well some are. Lucky I live near by so i can bring my monitor and ps3 overall for DOC. But to be honest even exchange can get really cramped like In DOC it was really warm and stuffy.

well either way I don't mind either to be honest. But I do fined xgc a little bit more comfy. But thats due to BB tourney, not ssf4 tourney since i don't go to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Granted, I missed the last one again due to commitments....but I'll wade in anyway.

There is more room in the Exchange. XGC is mad cramped. It's also difficult to get around the room and watch matches. Much easier in the Exchange. And it is cooler than the XGC. It's still warm but I think people forget how bad the XGC was with 40 people in it. We called it Inferno for a bloody reason guys.

Regarding lag, yes it would be lovely if the TV's were perfect but they aren't. We are all in the same boat and people just need to deal with it.

Casuals is a problem however. XGC was much better at this. Put simply, we need more tv's and consoles. If you are spanking down 15 quid you deserve to spend a few hours playing. There aren't enough for everyone.

To combat this, perhaps we can have a winner stays on machine next time that no tourney matches are played on. Best 3 out 5 with all 5 matches played....and then the loser moves on. This would create decent turnover and make sure people aren't loitering around waiting for games. Just an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Kirby wrote: »
    Casuals is a problem however. XGC was much better at this. Put simply, we need more tv's and consoles. If you are spanking down 15 quid you deserve to spend a few hours playing. There aren't enough for everyone.

To combat this, perhaps we can have a winner stays on machine next time that no tourney matches are played on. Best 3 out 5 with all 5 matches played....and then the loser moves on. This would create decent turnover and make sure people aren't loitering around waiting for games. Just an idea.

Inferno is a tournament, end of story. If you want to play casuals, go to any casuals that are on.

If you want to bring a console and TV/monitor to have your winner stays on session go ahead, but while I'm running Inferno the four monitors we have will be used for tournament matches until the later stages, when one of them will be free for use.

Exchange is closer to Zaytoons so it's instantly better than XGC.

Wow, rose tinted spectacles about the XGC, who would have thought it!

Lads, the place was horrible for tournaments. You couldn't walk from one end of the room to another without accidentally smacking someone who was in the middle of a tournament game, the staff (with one notable exception) hated us, it was WAY hotter than Exchange is (rem we're going through the hottest period of the year, rain or not, XGC is always roasting), people nearly punched the TVs with the lag, Zaytoons wasn't right beside it, virtually every tournament I had to move peoples sticks and stuff because unsavoury types were eyeing them up, I've never had anything thrown at me in the Exchange (I still feel sorry for the fright I gave that kid :D), there was no space for a recording/admin area like there is now, there's no projector (which I can start using if Kiki shows or I buy some new gear), and we're not forking over hundreds of quid for the priviledge of being told we're getting in the way.

virtually every tournament I had to move peoples sticks and stuff because unsavoury types were eyeing them up, I've never had anything thrown at me in the Exchange

Yeah, I'd pick a room full of hippies and emo kids over the scumbags at the XGC any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Why do the staff at XGC dislike the fighting-game crowd?

• Advertisement

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Why do the staff at XGC dislike the fighting-game crowd?

I don't know. They seemed to take great exception to the number of people we brought to the place in proportion to the amount of consoles we used, despite the fact we'd be handing over literally hundreds of euro to them.

Advertisement