Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange>XGC Is it really better? Is the sky really blue? What are doldrums really?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Exchange > XGC = True;

Is the sky really blue? No, Light refracted at different angles based on the wavelength of the respective light freqencies in the atmosphere makes it appear blue.

What are Doldrums really? The doldrums is a colloquial expression derived from historical maritime usage for those parts of the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean affected by the Intertropical Convergence Zone, a low-pressure area around the equator where the prevailing winds are calm

XGC is a net cafe with some machines upstairs. Not really suitable for tournament conditions imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Inferno is a tournament, end of story. If you want to play casuals, go to any casuals that are on.

If you want to bring a console and TV/monitor to have your winner stays on session go ahead, but while I'm running Inferno the four monitors we have will be used for tournament matches until the later stages, when one of them will be free for use..

Not quite sure why you would take this attitude tbh. It's needlessly abrasive.

Its no skin off my nose because I always make it out of groups and get my moneys worth but there are lots of lads who don't and they should be able to play too.

Bottom line, if new people show up, pay 15 quid and are out after 15 minutes they won't come back. Letting them play a bit and have a good time can only be good, no? There wont be much of a tournament left if people feel hard done by and stop coming. Thats how communities die.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

We are generally there from 10:00* and the tournament doesn't start until 13:00.

That's plenty of time to get casuals in.

*Last weekend was an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Massive post

Don't know why there's such hostility and festered talk in this thread. But I'll try relay my thoughts here

XGC Is subpar for tourneys U][B]FACT[/B][/U, even in casuals with more then 10 people we have had trouble spacing people out seat by seat, It's stuffy as hell but I guess that is something that should be taking up with the staff there [Sure they have enough money from us to fix it:P]

Exchange is a step up in every direction, these "rose tinted spectacles" need to be taken off for a moment to see that XGC is really just tolerable. [Okay for casuals, Tourneys? remember DOC 3 MK9 Finals?]

My first Tourney was in the exchange actually, the Evo qualifier

It was ran quite well and was pretty well organized by everyone who was involved.
    I could not imagine half the turnout from EvoQ to even fit in the XGC, It's bloody laughable.

From what I know it's still a young community right?

Things will only get better in time with commitment and help from everyone in the community!

My whole point which is pretty blurry at this point is;:D

Change is necessary for better or for worse, We'll eventually find a solution that meets all the requirements in due time.

Notice: I'm not belittling anyone, simply stating what I believe

P.S I'm not participating in tourney level play on those laggy ******* TV's in XGC:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

Are exchange and xgc our only options?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Jun_DP101 wrote: »

Ding ding ding! we have a pertinent question!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

Jun_DP101 wrote: »

Isn't there that new "gaming" bar or something??? Or has that died already???

Isn't there that new "gaming" bar or something??? Or has that died already???

If you mean the Thomas House, that's a small pub with one screen. Great craic for a drunken pub tournament, but no way could it be used for a proper one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Ding ding ding! we have a pertinent question!

...one that was asked and answered already really

2 points on this

1) The exchange is an effort to offer a space to groups and individuals where you can arrange things and events in a fair open environment. I think this is something we should support, especially given the nature of our group (voluntary)

2) It costs as much as we could afford on any given day and is smack bang in the middle of Dublin (which is important for people traveling from outside of Dublin) . Other venues cost more - irrespective of numbers we get, and this could be a problem.

There are load of possible venues but the exchange is the most practical as I see it. The only real issue is having to bring equipment but considering we can store said equipment on site securely (mostly), we can use our brains to solve that problem utilising the money we generate in a more efficient way - like has been suggested in the other fee discussion thread.

..and getting a key?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It might be a stab asking in Fibber's on Parnell Street, they've held mini-tournaments (Mario Kart, SSF2, mostly SNES stuff) before, on a big projector screen hung over the stage, and there's plenty of room, whatwith the dancefloor being there, and I imagine they'd be keen if there was some hope of selling enough booze and other less buckling refreshment.

• Advertisement

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    It might be a stab asking in Fibber's on Parnell Street, they've held mini-tournaments (Mario Kart, SSF2, mostly SNES stuff) before, on a big projector screen hung over the stage, and there's plenty of room, whatwith the dancefloor being there, and I imagine they'd be keen if there was some hope of selling enough booze and other less buckling refreshment.

We've been to tournaments in Fibbers before. Again, great craic but not suitable for the type of tournament we run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Ok so this is what I'm getting from the various posts. Long post Ahoi!

Exchange is great for the tourneys not for the casuals.

Why? Because there's more space, there's a projector (if it's used) and more space. The staff don't "hate us" and all the other bad things about xgc that doom listed.

XGC is good for the casual side of things because as mentioned by kirby those coming down paying 15 and getting raped at least still get to play games.

I'm gonna give my opinion on the matter and you might disagree but it's just how I feel from going to casuals 2 years or whatever back and infernos until now when granted I rarely play but I still attend.

Let me stress this is just my opinion.

When saying "Inferno is a tournament, if you want casuals go to casuals" I think this is way off the mark from what inferno came from and what it used to be about. That was, everyone getting together from around the country to play each other to see who's top dog at the moment. Granted it's a tournament but to be honest the casuals were where the real tests were as all the players would come to play the guys who they knew were better or that they wanted to play against to prove to themselves they could beat from when everyone had met up last, etc. This is what nurtures a community more than a tournament a month in my opinion. Skill levels and desire to do better increase with an event holding this type of meaning for people.

Every month I'd come down because I wanted to play against Terry's Sagat or Conor's Ryu to see how I would do this time or Mike's (Newtype) Ryu to see how bad mine really was. It was only partly about the tournament and getting out of groups for me. It was mostly about playing all the dudes who had come from far and wide who normally you don't get to play offline in casuals because everyone's too far away.
    The "inferno" was that reason for everyone to meet up and play offline. The focus was always on a tournament but back then if you think back the casuals were definitely 50% or more of the day's worth too. It was cool to have a big final vs the top players but outside the tournament the top players would each be playing eachother too testing themselves and seeing how things might have gone if they'd maybe gone a different route down the brackets etc etc. For me inferno is all about the casuals and the gathering of talent from all corners. That aspect has been eliminated with the move to Exchange. Again I'm not saying either are better I'm just pointing out a fact. There are nearly no casuals to be had at inferno's in exchange. People stand around chatting till their matches are called.No one plays casuals against people they don't know unless it's a match in their group also. People don't get to know anyone they don't already know as much. It's much less social. This means no one plays offline with people who aren't normally there to play with offline. The only way to strongly improve is offline play and without this I think the standard suffers. Playing online is fine but the truth is if you play competitively at tournaments the only way to practice for that is 1 on 1 in person, no internet lag sitting down beside eachother. Exchange doesn't offer that. There is a lot more space! Although that's because there are a lot less chairs and machines. For me I'll take the ****ty heat and cramped room if it means everyone's getting the chance to improve and play people offline they don't usually.

If we look at Chinatown fair. That place was a stinky, sweaty, cramped room that tonnes would pack into to do exactly what we do. They had less machines and it was just as horribly hot but they still did it! Why? Because it was the place to improve and get better. For XGC, whatever about the staff downstairs or the random scumbags or even the ****ing monitors it's about games and people improving themselves. I think in trying to improve the standards of inferno it's lost the most important part of it's original charm that kept people coming back and that was the diversity of everyone coming down for the tourney and casuals. I think Inferno belongs somewhere better than the exchange and better than XGC but out of the 2, I think xgc beats exchange hands down. I genuinely feel atmosphere and games were always better in xgc.

Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Ry wrote: »
    Ok so this is what I'm getting from the various posts. Long post Ahoi!

Exchange is great for the tourneys not for the casuals.

Why? Because there's more space, there's a projector (if it's used) and more space. The staff don't "hate us" and all the other bad things about xgc that doom listed.

XGC is good for the casual side of things because as mentioned by kirby those coming down paying 15 and getting raped at least still get to play games.

I'm gonna give my opinion on the matter and you might disagree but it's just how I feel from going to casuals 2 years or whatever back and infernos until now when granted I rarely play but I still attend.

Let me stress this is just my opinion.

When saying "Inferno is a tournament, if you want casuals go to casuals" I think this is way off the mark from what inferno came from and what it used to be about. That was, everyone getting together from around the country to play each other to see who's top dog at the moment. Granted it's a tournament but to be honest the casuals were where the real tests were as all the players would come to play the guys who they knew were better or that they wanted to play against to prove to themselves they could beat from when everyone had met up last, etc. This is what nurtures a community more than a tournament a month in my opinion. Skill levels and desire to do better increase with an event holding this type of meaning for people.

Every month I'd come down because I wanted to play against Terry's Sagat or Conor's Ryu to see how I would do this time or Mike's (Newtype) Ryu to see how bad mine really was. It was only partly about the tournament and getting out of groups for me. It was mostly about playing all the dudes who had come from far and wide who normally you don't get to play offline in casuals because everyone's too far away.
    The "inferno" was that reason for everyone to meet up and play offline. The focus was always on a tournament but back then if you think back the casuals were definitely 50% or more of the day's worth too. It was cool to have a big final vs the top players but outside the tournament the top players would each be playing eachother too testing themselves and seeing how things might have gone if they'd maybe gone a different route down the brackets etc etc. For me inferno is all about the casuals and the gathering of talent from all corners. That aspect has been eliminated with the move to Exchange. Again I'm not saying either are better I'm just pointing out a fact. There are nearly no casuals to be had at inferno's in exchange. People stand around chatting till their matches are called.No one plays casuals against people they don't know unless it's a match in their group also. People don't get to know anyone they don't already know as much. It's much less social. This means no one plays offline with people who aren't normally there to play with offline. The only way to strongly improve is offline play and without this I think the standard suffers. Playing online is fine but the truth is if you play competitively at tournaments the only way to practice for that is 1 on 1 in person, no internet lag sitting down beside eachother. Exchange doesn't offer that. There is a lot more space! Although that's because there are a lot less chairs and machines. For me I'll take the ****ty heat and cramped room if it means everyone's getting the chance to improve and play people offline they don't usually.

If we look at Chinatown fair. That place was a stinky, sweaty, cramped room that tonnes would pack into to do exactly what we do. They had less machines and it was just as horribly hot but they still did it! Why? Because it was the place to improve and get better. For XGC, whatever about the staff downstairs or the random scumbags or even the ****ing monitors it's about games and people improving themselves. I think in trying to improve the standards of inferno it's lost the most important part of it's original charm that kept people coming back and that was the diversity of everyone coming down for the tourney and casuals. I think Inferno belongs somewhere better than the exchange and better than XGC but out of the 2, I think xgc beats exchange hands down. I genuinely feel atmosphere and games were always better in xgc.

Just my 2 cents.

I understand where your coming from, it makes sense

I think if we just had better/more monitors and casual set ups, tourneys would be a blast[Winning and losing]

But everyone has gotta lend a hand for that to happen, I understand the lack of monitors and hopefully this will change over time but there should never be a lack of consoles [if thats ever the case] ever

If 40 people attend a tourney and there's 8 consoles, where are the other 32 consoles?

I mean if just half the people brought consoles then it would never be an issue and it sometimes is

Anyway this is off topic:D

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

I agree with ry. Although I think the "its a tournament" crowd need to realise where not all god like, (scrubs like me increase your winnings) and the I want casuals crowd need to realise some tournaments are run on less than adequate setups (last doc had 6 setups for 4 tournaments and losing one machine makes tourney take longer)

So the solution....... Find a compromise somewhere. My solution, more setups in exchange. If what's his face (I'm horrible with names) can drag his stuff from cork and I'm sure most dubliners can too.

I am a believer in more casuals for social aspect. Hell if it was not for doom telling me about streetfighter.ie at the Evo qualifier I would not even know about this. And I told at least 3 at last doc about it. Without social we will exclude people.

This prob looks a mess cause I'm sleep deprived and on phone

Advertisement