Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scan question

Options
  • 02-10-2011 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi all. just want to check with you here. my wife is 18 wks pregnant attending the maternity unit in ballinasloe and everything is going well. we had our 12 week scan and were really looking forward to the 20 week scan. when the appointment didn't come in the post i same the department win said that we wouldn't be seen again until week 32. i was taken back by this but didn't question it at the time. but since have spoken to other people win have said that the 20 week scan is the most important one. should i be ringing back looking for a 20 week scan or just wait and get a private one for our own reassurance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Some hospitals only do a 12 week scan or a 20 weeks scan... it seems that the policy in your hospital is to do the scan early so as to get the dating as exact as possible.

I'm not sure you'll find a private scanning company that will do an anomaly scan at 20 weeks (which is what you seem to be looking for) but you could get one done just to see the baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

shnethb wrote: »
    Hi all. just want to check with you here. my wife is 18 wks pregnant attending the maternity unit in ballinasloe and everything is going well. we had our 12 week scan and were really looking forward to the 20 week scan. when the appointment didn't come in the post i same the department win said that we wouldn't be seen again until week 32. i was taken back by this but didn't question it at the time. but since have spoken to other people win have said that the 20 week scan is the most important one. should i be ringing back looking for a 20 week scan or just wait and get a private one for our own reassurance.

CUMH do not routinely offer an anomally scan( 20 week scan- referred to as big scan) either-
    only dating scan 12-14 weeks.It depends on the hospital.

We went for private scan for our own peace of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

January wrote: »

I'm not sure you'll find a private scanning company that will do an anomaly scan at 20 weeks (which is what you seem to be looking for) but you could get one done just to see the baby.

I got a private anomally scan in Cork.They have a few clinics in Ireland PM me if anyone wants the details, I don''t know are we allowed to post the names here.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Some hospitals do things differently. Give them a call and query it and if you dont get a scan untill 32weeks and want to go private then do. But be warned, its pricey. I went for a 3d scan (this was just to see baby, it did not give any diagnostic or medical information) and it cost 150. Which is expensive but was well worth it!
    To my knowledge, Most of the private scan clinics do not do diagnostic scans. There is one i know of in smithfield in dublin called charter medical which do though. They do anomoly scans,or big scans. They have a website if you want to get any info. I think the price is similar to what i paid. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

I got an appointment in the post yesterday for a hospital appt in Castlebar and ill be 18 weeks then, i only had one last week.. is this normal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

it really seems to depend on the hospital. In UCHG, you only get one scan, at 20 weeks (that's what I got, anyway), but nothing else...

maybe ask your GP as well, they may send you for another scan if they can?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

I had my baby in Ballinasloe in 2010. I had my 12 week scan and the a twenty eight week scan. Are you sure its not twenty eight weeks. I would ring unless it changed since then. Great thing i found with Ballinasloe is that i had a scan every visit up until the birth. Again with cut backs that might have changed. Once she starts feeling the baby move you will have alot more peace of mind. Not long now.

Advertisement